Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlemartyr Roadworks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Well, I made the journey to Waterford yesterday in what had to have been the worst conditions I ever drove in. They were working when I passed through about 10.30 am but the delay was literally a couple of minutes. On the way back the workers were gone (about 3.30 pm) but, My God, the road surface at the junction as you approach from the East is dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

mordeith wrote: »
    Almost certainly burying the cables but would have thought that would have been done already as the cabling is fed from underneath. They would have to dig the footpaths up again otherwise.

Word over the weekend is that the ESB are holding up the progress. They're not available to underground the power lines until December! So it's limbo land until then.

That patch of road before the junction is a wreck again. Cars crawling over it resulting in unnecessary tailbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 boring1205

Just drive through the village.. Zero delay - let's hope this will be the case permanently once they finally finish.

boring1205 wrote: »
    Just drive through the village.. Zero delay - let's hope this will be the case permanently once they finally finish.

11:45 isn't peak traffic though so I wouldn't be expecting much/any delays at that time. Try it between 8-9am or 5-6pm. Or on a sunny weekend when everyone's off to the beach. As wonderful as the new road surface, footpaths and lamp posts will be, traffic through the village will continue to be a bottle neck at busy periods. My only hope is that the new footbridges will mean a wider road over the bridge itself which might (somehow) improve the flow of traffic at the junction... if even just to make it easier (and therefore quicker) for large vehicles to make the corner.

Yeah, I agree...I have written off the peak hours until a bypass is built, if ever. I'm will be happy enough to get it back to some bit of normality for the other times of the day.

Will be interesting to see how the works on the Mogeely to 2 mile Inn road impact Castlemartyr. Lots of cars using this at the moment - when that road is down to 1 lane for a pipeline from the cheese plant, back to the main road I presume.

And there is talk of traffic calming in Mogeely when the new plant opens, and of course the greenway, if and when that goes ahead.

The case for the bypass will surely raise its head again?

• Advertisement

New traffic lights are in place since yesterday evening. I really hope it's just some teething issue that will be ironed out because traffic was so backed up coming from Waterford side this morning. It felt noticeably longer for the lights to turn green for me this morning. My wife was on the road an hour after me and said the exact same. I'm not sure what benefit all the new filter lights will be either (for traffic turning left/right). Maybe we'll see the impact of that over time but right now it feels like an over-engineered solution. I can see how it might help with traffic turning right to Mogeely, but that will also have a knock-on effect in evening for cars heading east through the village as they will have to wait that little bit extra on each sequence before they can proceed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

There was queue into Castlemartyr at 6.00 yesterday evening. First time in ages I've experienced that aside from when the roadworks were actually happening.

mordeith wrote: »
    There was queue into Castlemartyr at 6.00 yesterday evening. First time in ages I've experienced that aside from when the roadworks were actually happening.

At least yesterday evening can be put down to the installation of the new lights still going on, so that may have caused some disruption. If it happens again this evening now that the lights are installed... then I'd be a bit worried that they've royally fcuked up with the new traffic light system.

Just gone through them there now (going east). Traffic already backed up in village. They change back to red so quickly, not green for long which is causing the queues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I hope they change the sequence back to what it was, I was late for work today because of it!

• Advertisement

Came through going east at 6.20. Same queue as the same time last evening. Took 9 minutes to get from the bend outside the woods to the end of the houses on the eastern side of the village. I kept an eye on the lights going through and they seemed to stay green for a reasonable amount of time as far as I could tell so not sure what the story is. Still loads of traffic turning right towards Ladysbridge so presumably a big contributing factor.

On Facebook today

Proposed Road Closures Mogeely (2 Mile Inn) L3809 & L3627 from 11th March to 23rd May to facilitate installation of ductile iron pipe. Detour to apply

Here we go again more delays . Will it ever stop!! Castlemartyr was a disaster again yesterday evening trying to go through.

Valyawl wrote:
    Proposed Road Closures Mogeely (2 Mile Inn) L3809 & L3627 from 11th March to 23rd May to facilitate installation of ductile iron pipe. Detour to apply

Valyawl wrote:
    Here we go again more delays . Will it ever stop!! Castlemartyr was a disaster again yesterday evening trying to go through.

That's the road from Mogeely to the 2 Mile Inn.... Road to be closed off completely with local access only for that period....Was also told that there is going to be stop-go roadworks on the road for a few weeks before the closeure for exploratory works.

Then after the pipeline is finished and before the plant opens, Mogeely village itself will be totally resurfaced with traffic calming measures put in place.

Time to get the light sequence sorted in Castlemartyr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Muttley79

Surely the n25 is nearly wide enough for dual carriageway upgrade most of the way between Waterford to cork and bypass the towns of killeagh and castle martyr.

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Surely the n25 is nearly wide enough for dual carriageway upgrade most of the way between Waterford to cork and bypass the towns of killeagh and castle martyr.

A conversation that crops up a couple of times a year here. We all can dream but don't see it happening for a long long time.

The new traffic light system is a mess BTW. Queues into the village when there hasn't been any in recent months (since the main works completed). It's very notable how the new filter light prioritizing traffic turning right to Mogeely (what little there is) is slowing down traffic moving through the village in the evenings (going east). If this is the new norm, I despair.

Bacchus wrote:
    The new traffic light system is a mess BTW. Queues into the village when there hasn't been any in recent months (since the main works completed). It's very notable how the new filter light prioritizing traffic turning right to Mogeely (what little there is) is slowing down traffic moving through the village in the evenings (going east). If this is the new norm, I despair.

Surely be to Christ they can/will adjust the lights after some sort of trial period??

Or am I being naive?

You would think they would however they are still long delays after a week. I wonder how much longer they will wait before reviewing them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Came through this morning at 6.30 from the Youghal side.
    I was about 9th car back, big lorry at the top of the queue.
    Lights go green, three arrows. Expected the right turn to go off, nope all three went red. Only the lorry at the front got through, this leads on to a big queue behind. This was at 6.30:eek:

This issue here may be there was no traffic at the other side of the bridge going east. The rubbish collection lorry had prevented all traffic from moving but was parked well back from the bridge. If that's the case then there is a serious bug in those lights.

Simple solution... take a sledgehammer to the filter light allowing cars to turn right to Mogeely :p

Also, WTF is the point of the left filter light to go towards Ladysbridge?? It all looks like an over-engineered solution where a simple single green light could do the job better.

Who does one complain to about this? The problem won't rectify itself if no-one's alerting the proper authorities that there is a problem.

The Council, I've done it previously when the Pedestrian light use to come on every cycle even at 6 in the morning.

• Advertisement

They've also changed the lights turning right coming from Mogeely. Previously the lights for traffic turning left coming from Ladysbridge would go green and then the Mogeely lights would go a short time after. Ladysbridge traffic still have priority but both could could go dependent on the traffic situation. Now they both have their own schedule leading to a longer red time for traffic on the n25

Anyone know of an email address to get on to about this? If they get enough angry emails they might feel compelled to do something.

Surely they have enough traffic data to have the lights react differently at different times of the day... It ain't rocket science to see the busy times.

Roanmore wrote: »
    The Council, I've done it previously when the Pedestrian light use to come on every cycle even at 6 in the morning.

Who in the council though?

Thanks I just lodged the issue too

Valyawl wrote: »
    Thanks I just lodged the issue too

Logged as well

Just got response from cork county council... Looks like they will be at least trying to sort the issue...

"This case is now closed by Cork County Council Roads Department as your issue has been referred to the Road Works Project Team in the National Roads Office. The Project Team is aware of the issue and works to complete vehicular detection loops and optimise the upgraded traffic lights continues. It is understood that this will be complete over the next week."

Thanks, just checked my email and got the same response , fingers crossed they actually do something about it !

• Advertisement

Just wondering if they did something before or during the weekend.
    This morning as there was no traffic coming from the Mogeely direction the green light did not come on in the sequence. I think it may have previously come on even if no traffic was present.

Advertisement