Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlemartyr Roadworks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Got the same response... now we wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Roanmore wrote: »
    Just wondering if they did something before or during the weekend.
    This morning as there was no traffic coming from the Mogeely direction the green light did not come on in the sequence. I think it may have previously come on even if no traffic was present.

Secondary schools off this week and some primary so might not be an indicator of any changes. I came from Mogeely side this morning and schedule seemed the same.
    Waiting at the bridge on Saturday evening I noticed the pedestrian lights come on irrespective of whether anyone has pressed a button further lengthening the red time on the n25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Heads up for anybody going east today through Castlermartyr, down to one lane at the bridge, traffic was back beyond the 60 km zone at 1pm.
    I was heading through and the car in front was turning right at the bridge, couldn't move until the filter light came on and he moved off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 boring1205

6:30 pm traffic much improved today and yesterday compared to last week.

Don't think schools being off has much to do with it at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

boring1205 wrote: »
    6:30 pm traffic much improved today and yesterday compared to last week.

Don't think schools being off has much to do with it at this time.

That's true. Came through at 18.15 today and it was grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭Acosta

Sometimes you arrive in Castlemartyr with the traffic jam as some guy thinks it's fine to drive along at half the speed limit forming 20 or 30 plus queue behind him.

I long for the day when I no longer have to drive on this godforsaken road regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I came home through Mogeely today and long delays trying to get into killeagh village , was it the good weather I wonder !

Mogeely to 2 mile Inn road closure delayed by 5 weeks.

Went through Castlemartyr from Cork side yesterday at 5pm... No delays!!

Mogeely to 2 mile Inn road closure delayed by 5 weeks.

Went through Castlemartyr from Cork side yesterday at 5pm... No delays!!

When is that due to start now so?

Yes, the traffic light sequence appears to have been changed. I've noticed this week that traffic is flowing much quicker through the village. I think what's happened is that the filter lights (at least the Mogeely one for traffic heading west) only lights up every other sequence... so it's skipping cycles which means we're getting a bit more free flow going east.

Bacchus wrote: »
    When is that due to start now so?

Yes, the traffic light sequence appears to have been changed. I've noticed this week that traffic is flowing much quicker through the village. I think what's happened is that the filter lights (at least the Mogeely one for traffic heading west) only lights up every other sequence... so it's skipping cycles which means we're getting a bit more free flow going east.

Coming through yesterday evening, stopped at bridge going east. Light turns green, just about to take off when a car came flying through from Mogeely side heading west. His light would have been red, well past orange, Just as well the green man wasn't on because the speed he took the turn at the bridge he's never have been able to stop. 3 kids in the car with him as well.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote:

Was supposed to start next Monday the 11th. So I presume now it will be some time around the middle of April.

To go on for around 10 weeks.

Was supposed to start next Monday the 11th. So I presume now it will be some time around the middle of April.

To go on for around 10 weeks.

Well silver lining at least is that part of the closure will run into the start of Summer holidays so traffic will be quieter in general anyway. Hopefully it gets delayed just a little bit more :)

1st of May now the new date for the road closure. Factory build must be running behind.

1st of May now the new date for the road closure. Factory build must be running behind.

I heard they got the wrong sized pipes

Well today is the day of no more shortcuts on the way home with the road closure at 2 mile inn. Any idea when the roadworks between Killeagh and Castlemartyr are due to finish, its going to be some fun if they do not finish up pretty soon!!! I am dreading it

Wait until silage season starts. All the tractors going through Castlemartyr that would have taken the " Mile Inn Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sdug79

Valyawl wrote: »
    Well today is the day of no more shortcuts on the way home with the road closure at 2 mile inn. Any idea when the roadworks between Killeagh and Castlemartyr are due to finish, its going to be some fun if they do not finish up pretty soon!!! I am dreading it

According to Google maps the traffic is nearly back to the lake already.
    I saw yesterday evening and this morning, temporary traffic lights at the turn in Castlemartyr near the end of the village.
    How they are left have a stop go there there considering all the other roadworks going on I don't know.

sdug79 wrote:
    According to Google maps the traffic is nearly back to the lake already. I saw yesterday evening and this morning, temporary traffic lights at the turn in Castlemartyr near the end of the village. How they are left have a stop go there there considering all the other roadworks going on I don't know.

Absolute joke if there are works ongoing in Castlemartyr at the same time. A bit of joined up thinking wouldn't go astray here.

Ah guys it was an absolute disaster, I travelled back today hit ballintotis before 5 and traffic backed up to there. Followed some other cars heading to lady's bridge and travelled to the bog road in Youghal. I'm not sure my nerves can handle this every day ������

Absolute joke if there are works ongoing in Castlemartyr at the same time. A bit of joined up thinking wouldn't go astray here.

No roadworks happening in the village today anyway. Haven't heard of any plans for more roadworks there either... at least not until the new footbridges go in.

That aside, my God that was horrific today. 6pm and backed up to the lake. It wasn't much better at 4:30 when my wife was passing through. Going to have to seriously consider working from home a day or two a week until this is over. Apparently all the other back-roads (going south past Castlemartyr) were very busy with traffic too... people trying to find a new rat race route to go by I assume.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote:
    That aside, my God that was horrific today. 6pm and backed up to the lake. It wasn't much better at 4:30 when my wife was passing through. Going to have to seriously consider working from home a day or two a week until this is over. Apparently all the other back-roads (going south past Castlemartyr) were very busy with traffic too... people trying to find a new rat race route to go by I assume.

Bacchus wrote:
    No roadworks happening in the village today anyway. Haven't heard of any plans for more roadworks there either... at least not until the new footbridges go in.

From what I hear, the plan is for strong traffic calming measures to be put in place in Mogeely as part of the village road upgrade. This might impact Mogeely bring used as a rat run.

Seriously time for people to start lobbying any politicians who call regarding a Castlemartyr bypass.

Stop and go yesterday by the entrance to Carmelite college I think is it fiber broadband?

I left Youghal this morning at 6.40am to try to leave at 4pm today all going well.No issues that early! Have a good day

Have the works at Dunkettle had an effect on the traffic travelling east yet?
    It will be awful for people to get caught there and then at Castlemartyr.

I travel Carrigtohill to Dungarvan every evening and I was giving serious thought to going up the M8 to Fermoy before heading for Lismore and then Dungavan.
    Google Maps says 1hr 20 which is a bit more time but I'd be travelling at least.
    Middleton - Dungourney - Killeagh is probably a better alternative although the road is not great in parts.

Yeah... No issues this morning. Maybe the stop and go was causing yesterdays disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Seriously time for people to start lobbying any politicians who call regarding a Castlemartyr bypass.

Definitely! It's only local elections, but lets get it on the agenda - and add Killeagh too.

I remember a few weeks after I started commuting from Youghal to Cork in 2005, there was an article in De Paper about some feasibilty study commencing on bypassing Killeagh and Castlemartyr in one go. Think of the years of commuting grief that would have already prevented and could still prevent now.

Roanmore wrote: »
    Have the works at Dunkettle had an effect on the traffic travelling east yet?
    It will be awful for people to get caught there and then at Castlemartyr.

Works at Dunkettle haven't even started yet. It's all still in the investigation/planning phase which has no impact on traffic. The fun begins some time this Summer but there won't be a knock on affect at Lakeview roundabout or Castlemartyr until we start seeing free-flowing traffic heading east.
    Valyawl wrote: »
    I left Youghal this morning at 6.40am to try to leave at 4pm today all going well.No issues that early! Have a good day
    Yeah... No issues this morning. Maybe the stop and go was causing yesterdays disaster.

The problems as a result of the works on the Mogeely road are in the evening though. There should be no impact in the morning... at least I don't see why there would be.

Bacchus wrote:
    The problems as a result of the works on the Mogeely road are in the evening though. There should be no impact in the morning... at least I don't see why there would be.

Bacchus wrote:

Are the same traffic that use the Mogeely road in the evening not using it in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Are the same traffic that use the Mogeely road in the evening not using it in the morning?

The backup at the bridge for people turning down to Garryvoe only happens to the Eastbound traffic, so a bigger effect in the evening than the morning.

• Advertisement

Pretty much this -->
    Stugots wrote: »
    The backup at the bridge for people turning down to Garryvoe only happens to the Eastbound traffic, so a bigger effect in the evening than the morning.

I have heard from others (yesterday evening) that traffic in the morning from Ladysbridge and Mogeely is more backed up... but the light sequence hasn't changed so the East->West traffic isn't being impacted.

TBH though, I join the traffic from one of the estates near the school so I wouldn't be aware of any tailbacks further back in the traffic.

Advertisement