Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can we pool our knowledge regarding TAX and crypto and make some kind of FAQ/sticky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cryptonovice

Ha! It’s slow but it’s probably the best way as whoever is replying can think about their reply and get it right. Sometimes phone calls puts people on the spot if their unsure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ha! It’s slow but it’s probably the best way as whoever is replying can think about their reply and get it right. Sometimes phone calls puts people on the spot if their unsure.
    The problem with a phone call is that you don't have something that you can flourish at them afterwards. (Or that you can copy and show to others by, e.g., posting it here).

You're doing this in writing. It's slower, but it's the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fakent.ie

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The problem with a phone call is that you don't have something that you can flourish at them afterwards. (Or that you can copy and show to others by, e.g., posting it here).

You're doing this in writing. It's slower, but it's the best way.

They record all phone calls and you can just record it yourself for future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Fakent.ie wrote: »

They record some, for quality purposes, and they get deleted - long before the couple of years it'd take for a problem with a return to be likely to manifest. I'm not sure you'd be allowed to record the conversation without informing the other person, and/or use it subsequently.

Remember, even if some person in a call centre gives you dud info, you could still end up with a tax bill - the only thing you'd be spared is your interest & penalty. Much better to take the time to get a considered reply in writing.

If the query and its answer are committed to writing, there's more chance of the person drafting it taking the care to be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

It depends. Are those Farmville assets worth anything? If you can make enough from selling farmville assets to bring you over the €1270 limit for CGT, why shouldn't tax be due on them like it is for every other type of asset?

If I managed to sell the digital assets (that are valueless outside of the game) for euro, USD or yen, then of course I would expect to pay tax on that tangible gain.
    Why do you think a BTC -> ETH trade should not be considered a disposal when a USD -> Yen trade is considered a disposal?

Tax on forex is well defined.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Having dealt with the Revenue for many years, as Peregrinus suggests, until you get it on headed Revenue paper signed and dated it isn't really going to stick. With a phone call, as a bare minimum you'd need the person stating their name and position at the start of the call and acknowledging that you were recording the call. They're not an organisation to muck about with.

smacl wrote: »
    Having dealt with the Revenue for many years, as Peregrinus suggests, until you get it on headed Revenue paper signed and dated it isn't really going to stick. With a phone call, as a bare minimum you'd need the person stating their name and position at the start of the call and acknowledging that you were recording the call. They're not an organisation to muck about with.

When you ring the revenue it says its the revenue like 5 times before they even answer repeats itself in irish then they would usually pick up and say "Hi john here" or whatever.

If you want me to take screenshots and post here I will. If that is ok with the wider forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I got a reply from the revenue today exactly 4 weeks later through Paye anytime. They said; “ You do not need to do anything until you sell the coins”. Then you pay on any gains made. We could be over thinking this whole thing.

To me the key word in their response was the word “sell”. I firmly believe the weren’t referring to disposing/swapping crypto for crypto.

Why would you think selling btc and being paid in ltc isn't selling?
    Why do you firmly believe they are distinguishing between some currencies and not others? Your exchange certainly doesn't.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Why do you firmly believe they are distinguishing between some currencies and not others? Your exchange certainly doesn't.

Well hopefully when they reply again in 4 weeks time we will finally know and it can be put too bed one way or the other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

the best thing is to keep as much detail and paperwork on every transaction as possible. As far as revenue is concerned the more detail the better.

You can hardly use the coins, this isnt stocks or forrex u can acctualy use those currencies when you sell them there isn't a special place to go to use my every crypto like if i go euro-yen-usd i can spend it in america

You can hardly use the coins, this isnt stocks or forrex u can acctualy use those currencies when you sell them there isn't a special place to go to use my every crypto like if i go euro-yen-usd i can spend it in america

Sorry but you can buy things with crypto.
    Also,, what can you buy with shares? Let I checked Dunnes weren't taking them.

Sorry but you can buy things with crypto.
    Also,, what can you buy with shares? Let I checked Dunnes weren't taking them.
    Somone keeps mentioning euro to yen to usd and that those transactions are acctually taxed and comparing it to BTC to eth to LTC. but those are official countries currencies and accepted in hundreads and hundreads of places you go to an airport and you can swap your yen to euro and so on you can't go to an airport and swap your bitcoin to euro to use in europe thats just an example. tell me where you can use crypto i'd like to know

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Somone keeps mentioning euro to yen to usd and that those transactions are acctually taxed and comparing it to BTC to eth to LTC. but those are official countries currencies and accepted in hundreads and hundreads of places you go to an airport and you can swap your yen to euro and so on you can't go to an airport and swap your bitcoin to euro to use in europe thats just an example. tell me where you can use crypto i'd like to know

What does that have to do with whether it's considered an asset or not? You can't bring copper to an airport and exchange it for silver but you still have to pay tax on it.

From Revenue's website:
    You have to pay CGT on gains made from the sale, gift or exchange of an asset such as:

land
    buildings (houses, apartments, or commercial property)
    shares in companies (Irish-resident or non-resident)
    assets that have no physical form such as goodwill, patents and copyright
    currency (other than Irish currency)
    assets of a trade
    foreign life insurance policies and offshore funds
    capital payments (in certain situations).

So if you are exchanging one asset for another, you have to pay CGT on it. You could classify crypto as an asset with no physical form. Therefore if you exchange one crypto for another you should pay CGT on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

tell me where you can use crypto i'd like to know

New cafe on aungier street accepts crypto, in fact thats their theme

https://m.facebook.com/pg/crypyocafedublin/about/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

If you want me to take screenshots and post here I will. If that is ok with the wider forum!

I'd like to see that. Be good to see how the questions were worded and how exactly they answered and to have all the official responses here. I'll be putting mine up when I get it too. I tried to word my questions so there could be no ambiguity in the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there any where to buy and sell bitcoins for cash? I'd assume people want to cash them in but not to go anywhere near their bank account.

That throws up another question, if you then transfer your cash bought bitcoin to your bank account who's to say you made any profit on it as it wasn't an investment just another way of taking payment for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Is there any where to buy and sell bitcoins for cash? I'd assume people want to cash them in but not to go anywhere near their bank account.

That throws up another question, if you then transfer your cash bought bitcoin to your bank account who's to say you made any profit on it as it wasn't an investment just another way of taking payment for something.

1.You can use a bitcoin atm.

2. When it's flagged with revenue you have to prove where it came from and it would srill be a gain on an asset so liable for CGT

1.You can use a bitcoin atm.

2. When it's flagged with revenue you have to prove where it came from and it would srill be a gain on an asset so liable for CGT

I'd forgotten about them, there probably charging market rates, I was thinking more like an adverts set up where people just want cash to keep them out of the financial system loop so would sell at a discount prices.

Found this not many for sale https://localbitcoins.com/buy-bitcoins-online/IE/ireland/?ch=hvpv

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    I'd like to see that. Be good to see how the questions were worded and how exactly they answered and to have all the official responses here. I'll be putting mine up when I get it too. I tried to word my questions so there could be no ambiguity in the response.

Trying to put it up but for some reason the paste function doesn't seem to be available on Boards?

You can't lodge a bitcoin in a conventional bank account. If it's a euro-denominated account, you can only lodge euros in it.

It doesn't have to be capable of being exchanged everywhere in order to be an asset; it just has to be capable of being exchanged.

There are hundreds of shares which are listed on the London Stock Exchange, and only on the London Stock Exchange. The London Stock exchange is the only place in the world where you can trade those shares. Are those shares "assets" for CGT purposes? You bet they are.

Can crypto be exchanged? Yes. Even if there's only one place in the world where a particular crypto can be exchanged, that is not the foundation for an argument that this takes out outside the class of "assets" that are subject to CGT.

You can't lodge a bitcoin in a conventional bank account. If it's a euro-denominated account, you can only lodge euros in it.

Yes I meant the funds from the exchange. Think I found what I was after a prepaid debit card for spending coins, That takes you completely off the grid then.

Why would people not want it to go anywhere near their bank account?

Why would people not want it to go anywhere near their bank account?

As you'd be liable for tax possibly, with a prepaid crypto card you can take out the money or spend it while keeping your anonymity if you've also bought your crypto with cash.

As you'd be liable for tax possibly, with a prepaid crypto card you can take out the money or spend it while keeping your anonymity if you've also bought your crypto with cash.

So tax evasion?

You're liable for the tax whether or not it hits your bank account like...

So tax evasion?

You're liable for the tax whether or not it hits your bank account like...

Just wanted to figure out how it worked.

Nobody knows you have it unless you tell them. So no liability.

Just wanted to figure out how it worked.

Nobody knows you have it unless you tell them. So no liability.

Self assessed tax system. As a business owner / director you'll be familiar with that. Do you take the same attitude to dealing with all your tax affairs?

Yes I meant the funds from the exchange. Think I found what I was after a prepaid debit card for spending coins, That takes you completely off the grid then.
    The whole point about cryptocurrency is that it is (originally) intended to be used, and is to some extent actually used, as currency. It's currency; just not currency backed by the government of any state. You can buy stuff with it, if you can find any seller willing to accept it, and at least in regard to the major cryptocurrencies, you can (or could, until they became so volatile).

So, no need for debit cards or ATMs or anything of the kind. You can transfer crypto from your account to your transaction counterparty's account, in return for which he sends you whatever it is you are buying from him.

This is becoming more and more difficult to do, though, simply because there are fewer people actually interested in accepting crypto in transactions. Transaction costs are high, settlements are slow and (as already mentione) the price volatility means that using crypto for trading purposes carries risks that can be avoided with more stable currencies. So most people who have stuff to sell would prefer to be paid in euros, US dollars, or whatever, thanks all the same.

Even if you can find someone willing to sell stuff, if your true motivation in acquiring crypto was to benefit from a rise in the price, the stuff they will sell may not be stuff you want to buy. When people fell they want to dispose of their investment, it's either because (a) they want to spend the proceeds on something, or (b) they think their investment has peaked in value, and they expect that for the future some other asset will be a better investment or otherwise has characteristics that appeal to them, so they want to acquire that asset. When people swap, say, BTC for ETH, that's an example of the second
    kind of disposal. If that's what you want to do, you're not going to spend your BTC buying stuff; that would defeat the whole purpose of disposing of your BTC.

(Nor does it absolve you of your tax liablities. If you dispose of your BTC to buy stuff, and benefit from a large rise in value since you acquired it, that large rise in value is still subject to CGT or, if you are carrying on a trade, it's a profit of the trade and brought into charge to income tax.)

• Advertisement

I know what it is, it's a currency which used to be a dollar but people are now trading like it's an investment vehicle. (I'm not that brave, can see it's use as money through)
    When I mentioned debit cards I was referring to crypto specific ones that don't require ID registration for using. So your liable for nothing if your living in a cash world and the government don't have the slightest idea what you have and what your spending.

My investment money is in stocks etc and I've a tiny coinbase balance not worth taking about.

Just wanted to see how you can live outside the grid with crypto and have it figured out. It's not something I'm going to be doing.

I don't know if anybody issues crypto debit cards but, if they do and if you had one, you'd be in the same position as if you had a euro debit card. You'd have a bitcoin account with some institution sufficiently established, and sufficiently regulated, that merchants (wishing to sell stuff for bitcoin) were prepared to enter into merchant agreements with them to accept debit cards issued by them.

I don't see any reaons to think that this would be any more off-grid than a euro debit card, to be honest. What institution do you envisage could or would issue bitcoin debit cards that would be widely accepted? And why would that institution be beyond the scope of the Revenue's notice?

I know what it is, it's a currency which used to be a dollar but people are now trading like it's an investment vehicle. (I'm not that brave, can see it's use as money through)
    When I mentioned debit cards I was referring to crypto specific ones that don't require ID registration for using. So your liable for nothing if your living in a cash world and the government don't have the slightest idea what you have and what your spending.

My investment money is in stocks etc and I've a tiny coinbase balance not worth taking about.

Just wanted to see how you can live outside the grid with crypto and have it figured out. It's not something I'm going to be doing.

Well this cash world idea is a bit of a fallacy.
    Have a car? How did/do you finance the purchase & running of it?
    Live in accommodation somewhere? Same questions.
    Eat food? Same questions.
    Wear clothes? Same questions.
    Holiday abroad? Same questions.

A genuinely off the grid life involves being a completely self sufficient hermit in the wilds somewhere, and cryptocurrencies are of no relevance.

To the ordinary joe soap, they can take a flyer at not getting caught out if they've an insignificant amount of crypto/gains, but if they've significant wealth in crypto, the enjoyment of that wealth is likely to intersect with the grid in ways that expose one to being caught out and penalised.

A 100% penalty on a 33% tax, equates to 66% of your gain. Interest at about 11% p.a. means you'd better hope they catch you sooner rather than later.

There pre paid cards like swirl etc there's plenty your can sign up to and some with lax enough criteria like not requiring ID. You can transfer from your wallet directly to them so your avoiding and institution or record of you even buying anything.
    They can be used in most ATMs. Like this https://cryptopay.me/bitcoin-debit-card
    From what I can see you won't be traceable.

Well this cash world idea is a bit of a fallacy.
    Have a car? How did/do you finance the purchase & running of it?
    Live in accommodation somewhere? Same questions.
    Eat food? Same questions.
    Wear clothes? Same questions.
    Holiday abroad? Same questions.

A genuinely off the grid life involves being a completely self sufficient hermit in the wilds somewhere, and cryptocurrencies are of no relevance.

To the ordinary joe soap, they can take a flyer at not getting caught out if they've an insignificant amount of crypto/gains, but if they've significant wealth in crypto, the enjoyment of that wealth is likely to intersect with the grid in ways that expose one to being caught out and penalised.

A 100% penalty on a 33% tax, equates to 66% of your gain. Interest at about 11% p.a. means you'd better hope they catch you sooner rather than later.

Your doing all that with the money from your work. Revenue wouldn't have a clue you bought some new shoes etc. Significant wealth would be harder hide but that's only if you start showboating but once you've got the money out there's nothing stopping you going buying some Krugerrands and turning them into cash as you need them again nobody knows. You can do that at the minute anyway with coins it's just there not appreciating as quick or depreciating which ever the case may be.

I know that the penalties are I pay my taxes.

There pre paid cards like swirl etc there's plenty your can sign up to and some with lax enough criteria like not requiring ID. You can transfer from your wallet directly to them so your avoiding and institution or record of you even buying anything.
    They can be used in most ATMs. Like this https://cryptopay.me/bitcoin-debit-card
    From what I can see you won't be traceable.
    Your transactions are traceable, since they're electronically effected and recorded, and they must be processed through the major payments systems/networks - Visa, Mastercard, etc. If you can buy the card over the counter with cash then it would follow that your transactions can't be linked to you, but the sale of the cards and/or their acceptance by merchants could easily be regulated by law if it became apparent that they were being used as tax avoidance mechanisms on any signficant scale; money-laundering know-your-customer type requirements could be applied to regulated card issuers, and merchants could be forbidden from accepting cards not issued by regulated issuers.

None of these regulations are in place at the moment, of course, but that doesn't open up even short-term opportunities to dispose of bitcoin off-grid, since SFAIK nobody issues bitcoin debit cards, and there certainly aren't many merchants accepting them.

I just linked you to one, they do exist just have a Google for crypto debit cards.
    Yes the transactions are recorded but they don't know who's making them as it's a pre paid card with a made up name and a crypto wallet the revenue doesn't have access to or even knows it exits and is owned by someone in Ireland.

I just linked you to one, they do exist just have a Google for crypto debit cards.
    Yes the transactions are recorded but they don't know who's making them as it's a pre paid card with a made up name and a crypto wallet the revenue doesn't have access to or even knows it exits and is owned by someone in Ireland.
    What you have linked me to is a debit card denominated in either euros, US dollars or sterling, which can be purchased, and then topped up, with funds from your bitcoin wallet. It's "accepted anywhere major cards are", which tells you it's plugged in to the establishment payment settlement networks. And you'll notice this nugget in the small print:

"In accordance with the French law, residents of France must be verified (KYC2 only) and are restricted to ATM cash withdrawals of €1,000 per month and a maximum balance of €10,000".

So, the French authorities are on to this already. Others will doubtless follow, if it catches on and is perceived to be used as a tax avoidance mechanism. (The transaction fees set out on the page are eye-watering, which makes me suspect that it won't catch on very much.)

Could it, in principle, be used as a tax avoidance mechanism? Yes, I think, but so could a conventional debit card, used to spend the proceeds of a convention asset that you sold for a sum of euros that you then deposited offshore. The spending of the sale proceeds is not a taxable event; it's the disposal of the asset that is the taxable event, and while it's always possible to conceal the disposal of an asset by simply never declaring it, that's not something that can be guaranteed to work reliably.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Noctifer

The lack of information regarding crypto here makes me less and less willing to actually pay taxes. Especially the day trading part. With all the money they are getting could't the setup a proper guide on how to do everything and even do things like tools for calculating taxes from exchange info.

I will be contacting an accountant soon, if the answers I get are not good revenue won't see a single cent.

• Advertisement

Noctifer wrote: »
    The lack of information regarding crypto here makes me less and less willing to actually pay taxes. Especially the day trading part. With all the money they are getting could't the setup a proper guide on how to do everything and even do things like tools for calculating taxes from exchange info.

I will be contacting an accountant soon, if the answers I get are not good revenue won't see a single cent.
    It's not the Revenue's job to do your tax compliance for you. One of the points about a self-assessment system is that it gives the taxpayer a high degree of control, but also a high degree of responsibility.

I disagree that there's a lack of information here. The CGT rules are well-established, and fairly clear and fairly consistent. Some doubt is being spread in this thread by people who don't like those rules and their outcome, and who are insisting that because crypto isn't exactly like any particular existing asset, therefore the CGT rules don't apply. But, really, if you look through this for the nonsense that it is and just apply established CGT principless, this isn't difficult. It's a pain, if you have entered into a large number of transactions, but tax compliance is always a pain if you have a large number of transactions.

It's not the Revenue's job to do your tax compliance for you. One of the points about a self-assessment system is that it gives the taxpayer a high degree of control, but also a high degree of responsibility.

I disagree that there's a lack of information here. The CGT rules are well-established, and fairly clear and fairly consistent. Some doubt is being spread in this thread by people who don't like those rules and their outcome, and who are insisting that because crypto isn't exactly like any particular existing asset, therefore the CGT rules don't apply. But, really, if you look through this for the nonsense that it is and just apply established CGT principless, this isn't difficult. It's a pain, if you have entered into a large number of transactions, but tax compliance is always a pain if you have a large number of transactions.

It's way too complicated. In my country it's simple. You don't make a gain till money gets on your bank account. This makes it really simple to report as it doesn't matter if you had 2 transactions or 10000.

If I will have to spend hundreds each month just for the accountant, then I simply will not pay taxes on it in Ireland.

It's way too complicated. In my country it's simple. You don't make a gain till money gets on your bank account. This makes it really simple to report as it doesn't matter if you had 2 transactions or 10000.

If I will have to spend hundreds each month just for the accountant, then I simply will not pay taxes on it in Ireland.
    You don't have to spend hundreds on an accountant. Tracking your trades is a bookkeeping exercise, not an accountancy one; you can do it yourself. Most probably, your exchange can generate a schedule of all your trades for the year; all you need to do is add in euro values (if the exchange doesn't provide them) and then calculate the gains which, if you have the thing in a spreadsheet, shouldn't require the services of a professional.

You don't have to spend hundreds on an accountant. Tracking your trades is a bookkeeping exercise, not an accountancy one; you can do it yourself. Most probably, your exchange can generate a schedule of all your trades for the year; all you need to do is add in euro values (if the exchange doesn't provide them) and then calculate the gains which, if you have the thing in a spreadsheet, shouldn't require the services of a professional.

Sure, you go ahead and figure out what the price of LTC or ETH was 2 months ago when I traded them for BTC or ETH because I have no idea.

Also, I will need an account since day trading is considered a trade.

No wonder people are trying to avoid Revenue, it's way too complicated with opening a business, contacting your current employer to make sure there is no conflict of interest. Imagine you work in banking and your employer considers your second job a conflict of interest, what then?

This whole thing is a mess.

This argument has been shown to be a fallacy several times, as demonstrated by your inability to buy anything with gold, or coal, or OJ or countless other assets.

In any case, you can use BTC on expedia.com.

Sure, you go ahead and figure out what the price of LTC or ETH was 2 months ago when I traded them for BTC or ETH because I have no idea.

Also, I will need an account since day trading is considered a trade.

No wonder people are trying to avoid Revenue, it's way too complicated with opening a business, contacting your current employer to make sure there is no conflict of interest. Imagine you work in banking and your employer considers your second job a conflict of interest, what then?

This whole thing is a mess.

Welcome to being a grown up!

Its no ones fault but your own that you didnt keep track of your transactions.
    I'm sure you can still get it from your exchange.

• Advertisement

Welcome to being a grown up!

Its no ones fault but your own that you didnt keep track of your transactions.
    I'm sure you can still get it from your exchange.

Welcome to my tax being payed to another country and Revenue not getting any of it. If other countries can do a better job then I expect the same here.

And how is it my fault that revenue nowhere mentions day trading as a business rather than investing? I have not heard of that till mentioned here, how is that my problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Welcome to my tax being payed to another country and Revenue not getting any of it. If other countries can do a better job then I expect the same here.

And how is it my fault that revenue nowhere mentions day trading as a business rather than investing? I have not heard of that till mentioned here, how is that my problem.

It's up to every citizen above the age of 18 to have a full working knowledge of the Irish system (and all our laws). Ignorance is no defence!

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    It's up to every citizen above the age of 18 to have a full working knowledge of the Irish system (and all our laws). Ignorance is no defence!

Please go find me the law that states what i investment and what is a trade. Ireland law, not some UK thing.

What difference does that make to you keeping track of your trades?:confused:

What difference does that make to you keeping track of your trades?:confused:

I have all my trades, but I have no way of knowing how much was LTC or ETH worth the moment I traded it for BTC. There is not way you can get correct information on this since the price in a single minute can change multiple times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement