Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment Advice for EFTs on De Giro

Options
  • 21-12-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

I been researching EFT's and summarised below a plan of action. If anyone would like to point out any flaws please be my guest!! Thanks in advance.

Background: I am an Irish based investor, 25 y/o, can invest circa. 500 p/m. I am from Northern Ireland but work and in the south of Ireland. No previous investments.

Platform: De Giro (cheapest fees)

Tax: US domiciled EFT and will get taxed at 33% on capital gains and rate of income tax + USC + PRSI on dividends. Losses can offset taxable gains on different EFTs.

So, invest in a US domiciled EFT, with focus on growth rather than dividends (automatic reinvestment of dividends on US domiciled EFTs is not allowed). Invest in 2/3 different EFTs, possibly one focused on emerging markets and others tracking a low risk stock market index. Any losses on emerging profits can offset taxable profit on s & p 500 (assuming there is some!!).

Currency risk: Avoid if possible. Invest in US domiciled EFTs which are focused on Euro investment.

Diversification between asset classes: Possibly have one EFT focused on bonds and one on equities.

Any suggestions on EFTs which meet the above criteria?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I think these might suit your criteria. They're from the list of free fee ETFs from DeGiro:

Vanguard S&P 500 ETF - US9229083632
    iShares Europe ETF - US4642878619
    Schwab Emerging Markets Equity ETF - US8085247067

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

>Losses can offset taxable gains on different EFTs.

From what I read on askaboutmoney losses can only be offset on the same EFT in the same year. But not 100% on this.
    I wouldn't bother with bonds til you are 50+.
    I think you might want to look into whether there are any fees for buys under 1000 euro in currency or commission, but might be fine with DeGiro.

Advertisement