Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rusty battery compartment and springs

Options
  • 21-12-2017 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm trying to get a unit repaired as there was batteries left in which rusted along with the fittings and springs
    I tried trade electric in Limerick who couldn't help,
    Any suggestions?
    I've attached a photo
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The actual contacts are top right and bottom left. You should be able to clean them with a bit of sandpaper. The others are just links to join the battery terminals together. They should come out with a narrow nosed pliers which will allow you to clean them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭lazyman

exaisle wrote: »
    The actual contacts are top right and bottom left. You should be able to clean them with a bit of sandpaper. The others are just links to join the battery terminals together. They should come out with a narrow nosed pliers which will allow you to clean them off.

Thanks for coming back to me
    I already tried to lightly sand them and am wary of damaging the contacts
    The middle spring is badly rusted and delicately hanging on, is that an important piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'd be inclined to pull it out and bend it so it makes a contact from one battery to the other when you replace it....a bit of "gunthering" might be required....don't be afraid to give it a good cleaning.

It's only important to the degree that if it doesn't conduct, the unit won't work.
    :-)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^ good advice.

If the spring breaks off post a picture and someone will explain how to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭lazyman

Thanks for all the help, one of the components was actually bent so I fixed that and sanded the rest and it's working perfect now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement