Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading glass instead of whole window

Options
  • 21-12-2017 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is not the best category(I find it hard sometimes to know exactly where to ask my question :/)

I had a guy around to assess my windows just in relatoin to upgrading the glass(not the full window replacement)

The quote did not come out ridiculous, still a few grand of course.. lot of windows etc.. And still a fraction of what the cost would be to replace the whole windows..

I am looking to get some advise from people that are in the know on this topic..

He went around with a little gadget and put it on each window(that was measuring if there is any energy/insulating glass already in place).. Most of my windows flashed red in this regard(so he says they are about 2.7 u value..)
    Some flashed green, so he says they are probably about 1.6 based on time of construction etc..

He would be putting in new glass with u value of 1..

I have all double glazing. 24mm thickness so cant really do triple glazing.. He said my frames are very good and it would be madness to replace them. Now hes a glass sales man so everything with a pinch of salt of course. But the cost is easily 12k less I would imagine.

Anyone any experience with this practice that can help its greatly appreciated.

Anyone be able to hazard a rough guess how much of a BER improvement it would add to my house? Its a c2 presently. (198KWh/m2/yr)

Cheers,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

In my experience, the majority of windows are poor not for their glazing quality but rather for their air leakage (i.e. how they were originally installed). So in order to answer your question you should first have your house properly assessed by someone who is not trying to sell your a few grand worth of anything (read independent professional) and will advise you accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭johnnymorgan

MicktheMan wrote: »
    In my experience, the majority of windows are poor not for their glazing quality but rather for their air leakage (i.e. how they were originally installed). So in order to answer your question you should first have your house properly assessed by someone who is not trying to sell your a few grand worth of anything (read independent professional) and will advise you accordingly.

Thanks Mick,

You talking someit like an air tightness test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yes, as part of an overall heat loss survey / assessment

Advertisement