Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail spell check

Options
  • 21-12-2017 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭

Am raging to find that there is no automatic spell check in my new Gmail account.
    The "helpdesk" suggests I turn it on in chrome and tells me how to do this, but its all gibberish to me. Gmail says that I can turn on spell check when I finish each message. There is little to no chance I'll remember THAT. :eek::(

Can anyone give me a dig out on this?, I need spell check on the Gmail all the time

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Grammarly should sort you.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Grammarly should sort you.

I have it on the computer and it works on other programmes, just not this one.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

It didn't even occur to me that web apps should have built-in spellcheck. It's more a browser feature. Works fine for me in Chrome!

Tenigate wrote: »
    It didn't even occur to me that web apps should have built-in spellcheck. It's more a browser feature. Works fine for me in Chrome!

?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

ther eis nothing stopping you trying up your email in a word processor and checkign the spelling then copy and pasting it to gmail.

but most people install a plug in for browser that checks spelling in gmail, on boards.ie and everywhere you type.

google it - its not hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Are you using Chrome? There should be an option when you right click on the email text area (or any text area)? Spellcheck > ✓ Check the spelling of text fields

436845.png

Are you using Chrome? There should be an option when you right click on the email text area (or any text area)? Spellcheck > ✓ Check the spelling of text fields

436845.png
    Yes, am using chrome, but I can't find that box you have the grab attached. where is it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

For me, it's when I right click on any text input field on any website (including this reply field on boards). I've no spell check extensions installed, so I assume it's a default option in Chrome.

Try opening settings in Chrome (click the three dots in the top right, select Settings), scroll down and click Advanced, scroll down further to Languages > Spell Check. What's checked/enabled there?

Hi Op

ther eis nothing stopping you trying up your email in a word processor and checkign the spelling then copy and pasting it to gmail.

but most people install a plug in for browser that checks spelling in gmail, on boards.ie and everywhere you type.

google it - its not hard.
    What I don't get is that there is spell check on any browser in the other email accounts, just not the one it's most needed.
    There is no way I would have time to write a message, c&p it in current conditions. So I need them all to be working the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Bredabe wrote: »
    What I don't get is that there is spell check on any browser in the other email accounts, just not the one it's most needed.
    There is no way I would have time to write a message, c&p it in current conditions. So I need them all to be working the same way.

Copy and Paste is literally a 3 second job?

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    Copy and Paste is literally a 3 second job?[/QUOTE
    You can do it in 3 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

Copy and Paste is literally a 3 second job?

Write in word

Ctrl+A
    Ctrl+C
    Go to mail
    Ctrl+V

3 seconds is generous

Copy and Paste is literally a 3 second job?[/QUOTE

Once you have your message typed in Word or wherever the spell check is working then Ctrl+A to select all, Ctrl+C to copy. Switch to your Gmail and Ctrl+V to paste

Once you have your message typed in Word or wherever the spell check is working then Ctrl+A to select all, Ctrl+C to copy. Switch to your Gmail and Ctrl+V to paste

Spell check works on all the other accounts, so I need it to work on this one too. No reason they shouldn't be all the same.

Spell check works on all the other accounts, so I need it to work on this one too. No reason they shouldn't be all the same.

The copy and paste is obviously a workaround. Not sure what your original problem might be. Worth reinstalling the browser I suppose

Advertisement