Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place to buy a comp?

Options
  • 21-12-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Just looking for recommendations of where we think is best to buy.

I've used Dell mostly in the past but am very open to alternatives such as:

Amazon
    or
    Laptopsdirect

What are you looking for?

Great question - the answer to which is :rolleyes::confused: not overly sure tbh.

A PC not a laptop - ideally not an all in one. Decent processor i7, sata drive, plenty of ram, decent graphics card.

Used mainly for work and general web stuff - no gaming - but would look at graphic files such as artwork etc.

Was thinking of dual monitors but what's the view on this? Is it as easy to get 1 bigger one.

If you read all my ramblings I defo owe you a pint!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

eBay. If you don’t mind something that’s a few years old there are some great bargains to be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Or Adverts - chances are you'll be buying from someone that has an account here so there might be comeback/help if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Great question - the answer to which is :rolleyes::confused: not overly sure tbh.

A PC not a laptop - ideally not an all in one. Decent processor i7, sata drive, plenty of ram, decent graphics card.

Used mainly for work and general web stuff - no gaming - but would look at graphic files such as artwork etc.
    Either buy a 2nd hand one or "pre-built" one from adverts.ie or build one yourself.

If you do the latter, it's easy enough. The hardest part is picking compatibly parts, but after that all the bits will only fit into the correct slots. You'll also have a warranty on the parts, and you'll be saving on the "build fee".
    deconduo wrote: »
    If you want to ask about a new PC build, please make a new thread HERE and include as much of the following information as possible:

1. What is your budget?
    [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

If you have a sample build yourself, use Fluffy's script to format it nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks lads!

I'd prefer adverts over ebay especially if the seller was a long time boards member - gives some level of assurance!

Build it myself - steady on now...seems easy but I have memories going back years of a friend helping my brother build his new pc - early 00's IIRC - had to slot his expensive graphic card into the slot.

I could hear things like - slide it in gently - still think they were on about the graphics card...:eek:

Seconds later - what part of gentle did you not understand followed by lots of fcuk etc and a graphics card in two pieces!:D:D

TBH though I reckon a build it yourself is worth a shot - good to get to know the machines a bit more etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Thanks lads!

I'd prefer adverts over ebay especially if the seller was a long time boards member - gives some level of assurance!

Build it myself - steady on now...seems easy but I have memories going back years of a friend helping my brother build his new pc - early 00's IIRC - had to slot his expensive graphic card into the slot.

I could hear things like - slide it in gently - still think they were on about the graphics card...:eek:

Seconds later - what part of gentle did you not understand followed by lots of fcuk etc and a graphics card in two pieces!:D:D

TBH though I reckon a build it yourself is worth a shot - good to get to know the machines a bit more etc

The build your own forum is brilliant. The guys there really know what they are talking about and can give you loads of help. Def think it's a good idea to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

FanadMan wrote: »
    The build your own forum is brilliant. The guys there really know what they are talking about and can give you loads of help. Def think it's a good idea to try it.

I think so as well.

It's not like it's mission critical as have other comps etc so reckon I'll give it a go - what's the worst that could happen....graphics card in two pieces probably! :D

Advertisement