Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sucker punched to the head

• 21-12-2017 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

While cycling on my way home I came across a group of scobes average age of 14. They threw something at my face and I stopped asking if they were out of their mind doing that as I could fall and badly get injured. They of course didn't give a fcuk so I got on my bike and while running away one of them sucker punched me in the head causing my glasses to cut my nose and eyebrow.
    I obviously don't know who they are or had a good look at them, but I'm still badly shaken: is there any point reporting this to the guards? What should I do if I come across them again?
    I've never been assaulted or been in a fight in 44 years , I'm lost for words, like there aren't enough dangers out on the roads, I also now need to look out for bored kids

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Report them. Those little bastarbs never stray very far, so will be easily found again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Stopping to “chat” with a bunch of yahoos like this wasn’t wise at all, in future your best avoid them.

Maybe report it to the guards but I wouldn’t hold out much hope for anything happening as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

_Brian wrote: »
    Stopping to “chat” with a bunch of yahoos like this wasn’t wise at all, in future your best avoid them.
    This. How do you think they were going to react OP? Give you a mince pie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,814 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sad to hear you had this couple days before Christmas. It wasn't you, it was them.

Go to the nearest Garda station and make a statement.

If you can't go now, write your statement tonight while its fresh in your mind. Describe each guy you can remember. Include exact location and time.

Try a different route around the area for at least a few days.

Unlikely anything will be done , offically, but the statement might back up other evidence and lead the Gardai to have words with them if they recognize the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

_Brian wrote: »

Maybe report it to the guards but I wouldn’t hold out much hope for anything happening as a result.
    5rtytry56 wrote: »

They threw something at my face, I nearly lost my balance, knowing what happened I wouldn't have said anything, but again if you don't say anything then you'll become their target every time they are bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭De Bhál

darconio wrote: »
    , but again if you don't say anything then you'll become their target every time they are bored.

I'd say the opposite is more true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Report them. But chances of anything coming of it are slim. The sooner the better in terms of time frame to report. You'll be asked to make a statement and you can explain the situation and give the best description of these fools. Assault is pretty serious.

• Site Banned Posts: 39 monnies

While cycling on my way home I came across a group of scobes average age of 14. They threw something at my face and I stopped asking if they were out of their mind doing that as I could fall and badly get injured. They of course didn't give a fcuk so I got on my bike and while running away one of them sucker punched me in the head causing my glasses to cut my nose and eyebrow.
    I obviously don't know who they are or had a good look at them, but I'm still badly shaken: is there any point reporting this to the guards? What should I do if I come across them again?
    I've never been assaulted or been in a fight in 44 years , I'm lost for words, like there aren't enough dangers out on the roads, I also now need to look out for bored kids

the best thing you can do for this evening is try to relax, ( after you check your injuries)
    you may be in a bit of shock
    cup of tea maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The era of the vigilante is upon us. People have had enough and are close to losing it. If the parents and authorities can't sort it out, people are going to take the law into their own hands. No harm. We need about 5 years of zero tolerance as a country, to put everything right again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

"Lawless ireland"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Report them. Those little bastarbs never stray very far, so will be easily found again.

Yep, creatures of habit. Garda would probably know who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I was out training one evening last year and was cycling down the Fonthill road , a group of younglads were walking on the footpath coming my direction , one of them started to walk towards the road , then , as i passed he took a leap towards me throwing a punch , i dont know how but i managed to swerve to avoid it , if a car was overtaking me at that time i wouldve been knocked down . Although it did lead to a quality sprint session .
    These little toerags dont give a toss if they seriously injure or kill anyone , reporting them to the gardai wont lead to anything , if anything they might wait for you to pass again and at best sucker punch you agian .
    Take it as a lesson not to leave yourself in a vulnerable situation like that again , approaching little scrotes like them is never going to end well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Keyboard vigilantes, stand up and be counted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Lumen wrote: »
    Keyboard vigilantes, stand up and be counted!

What's your suggestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

5rtytry56 wrote: »

Amazing.....victim of a crime is in the wrong for standing up for themselves ......only on boards

Grayditch wrote: »
    What's your suggestion?
    Well I was going to count the vigilantes and then figure out the next step.

368100 wrote: »
    Amazing.....victim of a crime is in the wrong for standing up for themselves ......only on boards

In fairness , he tried to reason with a bunch of scumbags who threw something at his face , stopping to ask them if they were out of their minds was not the most logical decision .
    Was it ever going to end well for him to be honest ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

sullzz wrote: »
    In fairness , he tried to reason with a bunch of scumbags who threw something at his face , stopping to ask them if they were out of their minds was not the most logical decision .
    Was it ever going to end well for him to be honest ?

still lads. go easy. not everyone is streetwise. and when i was younger i was caught by the odd random "feral intervention", as a consequence of where i lived. when you live in an affluent area, you kind of forget what its like to deal with these "children". my sympathies to the OP. forget them, and you'll be a bit wiser next time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

guys - while all these suggestions of violence may make you feel better, any further suggestions of wanton violence will be deleted. i've already removed a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

Thanks everybody for your sympathy I guess I've learned my lesson and I'll just shut up next time. I stopped to reason with them because at their age it never crossed my mind to assault an adult, I guess the world has changed...for worst: these kids are not taught basic respect.

I cycle along the canal from Suir road to blackhorse and in the summer especially in suir road is like a minefield with all those scobes swimming in the canal: I had few close encounters already but I ignored them and moved on, this time I felt like saying something and I paid dearly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Take photos of your injuries and go to Garda Station asap.
    Insist on making a formal statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭emo72

Thanks everybody for your sympathy I guess I've learned my lesson and I'll just shut up next time. I stopped to reason with them because at their age it never crossed my mind to assault an adult, I guess the world has changed...for worst: these kids are not taught basic respect.

I cycle along the canal from Suir road to blackhorse and in the summer especially in suir road is like a minefield with all those scobes swimming in the canal: I had few close encounters already but I ignored them and moved on, this time I felt like saying something and I paid dearly

really sorry to hear that. the world is a changed place. and if you dare treat them like they treated you, well you'd be the one the guards would be looking for.

I guess the world has changed...for worst: these kids are not taught basic respect.
    Ah, this is nothing new.

"I would there were no age between sixteen and three-and-twenty, or that youth would sleep out the rest; for there is nothing in the between but getting wenches with child, wronging the ancientry, stealing, fighting".

Really hate it when they wrong the ancientry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was going to post a youtube clip from 'a clockwork orange' but then remembered it takes place in the future.

i was recently talking to someone (plural/anecdote/data warning) who learned judo in the 70s to deal with random street violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The era of the vigilante is upon us. People have had enough and are close to losing it. If the parents and authorities can't sort it out, people are going to take the law into their own hands. No harm. We need about 5 years of zero tolerance as a country, to put everything right again

Ladies and gentlemen, Chuck Norris.

368100 wrote: »
    OP may not have retaliated physically but maybe another person would

Exactly , the OP stated that he was never assaulted or ever in a fight in 44 years , and from his previous posts in this thread, and i must say , to no offence to him / her , he sounds like not the most streetwise when it comes to these types of situations . Hence my suggestion to him to avoid such situations .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've had to use the threat of a D lock to tell a few young manchester scallies to foxtrot oscar at a set of lights. I'm taller than I look on the bike which helps too. Got caught out on a red light in a ****e part of town. Avoid that route now.

I'd also one cycle across me from behind a parked van while on an uphill slog. He took offence at being called a clown and tried to cycle after me. A bloody ****e mountain bike in the wrong gear never had a chance of keeping up.

So yea, just put the distance, they're not able. Keep cycling on. Or change the route to a nicer/busier road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Op...whereabouts did it happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ally Dick wrote: »

Although many of us think this would be a great thing, it's not the answer and a sure fire way to get yourself a criminal record.

The amount of knife attacks in the news in the last decade or so, it's not worth the risk. You start swinging a bicycle lock, you could end up with a knife in your back or gut.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement