Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sucker punched to the head

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Unfortunately several posters above said that they wouldn't bother reporting it as nothing would be done (or words to that effect). If people aren't going to bother reporting such incidents, how would AGS be expected to know?

Pretty much, and if someone brings it up at a local forum (most stations will attend neighbourhood meetings once a year), they will just say well it is rare because no one reported it and since it is rare, little can be done. They get enough reports then they will start to move on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

One of the locals told me this morning that another cyclist got a kicking last week by 5 thugs at the football field.

That’s awful. I believe one has to use judgement as to whether to stop – there are some real thugs about just looking for trouble – but that does not mean you don’t ever stop. Law and order will break down completely if scum like this are not tackled, hopefully also with the full force of the law.

It pisse$ me off that in most areas, AGS know who these are as they are regularally arrested. The courts are not dealing with them because there is no space in the Prisons. These tearaways need a glimpse of their futures if they don’t mend their ways. Currently, there is no such reality check.

Build the jail at Thornhill (if they still own the land) or somewhere else if they don’t.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    These tearaways need a glimpse of their futures if they don’t mend their ways. Currently, there is no such reality check.

I think you and I live by different standards of what we want from life, most of them know how life is going to pan out and they are ok with that. The sad thing is that society to an extent turned their back on some of them along time ago, not on purpose but their parents were probably not in the best situation and this is what they grew up with. Regrettably, Ireland, despite our claim to be good natured and charitable, we are a society of NIMBYs and this is what happens. Life is far from a Hallmark movie, if you show them where there lives are going and where they could go, the majority will tell you to f off. I woudl love to be proven wrong and definitely think that they should be given the chance. Showing someone where there life could go is useless unless you provide a realistic way to get there.

The change needed to sort these issues is not in the stomach of most politicians as most of their voters feel the same way. Plenty pay lip service with access programmes to 3rd level etc but these are rarely well enough funded and just get used (reasonably) by those who possibly would have skimmed by anyway.

I am not saying I have any grand solutions but the few ideas I have would never get passed. Social housing needs to be properly intermixed on a blind basis for all new housing stock. Gentrification needs to be controlled with rent control and incentives for low income families so they are not forced out of areas.

Anyway OT and after hours style rant, apologies, in the current situation, definitely report but if you have the time and the want, contact your local TD with some alternatives for youths in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    ...Build the jail at Thornhill (if they still own the land)....
    Thornton Hall ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Unfortunately several posters above said that they wouldn't bother reporting it as nothing would be done (or words to that effect). If people aren't going to bother reporting such incidents, how would AGS be expected to know?

+1. I have reported 2 (of several hundred possibles) incidents to the Guards and both were dealt with properly and professionally. Both resulted in fines and points. Turns out one even had previous for similar. All the more reason for reporting. Nothing like an accumulation of points (not particularly relevant here I know) to put manners on people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Agreed. There is a recurring issue with that particular bike lane on the Grand Canal, mainly at that particular spot. I had a problem there once myself.

The Guards I think know about the problem and they really need to police it or the amenity will become unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I wouldn't report it. I would be careful about making a statement since he stopped and confronted the lads. If the kids are caught, they will most likely make a counter claim and you could find yourself in court under Section 6 depending on the garda investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

My experience with gardai keep being unlucky, and every time I deal with them to report a crime I feel like they can't be bothered. Even in this instance I went to report the assault to Crumlin garda station and I was told that I need to go to Kilmainham that is completely out of my way: surely they have the same system and a crime reported in Crumlin will pop up in every an garda terminal right? If not how can they persecute criminals in general?
    I'm sorry but this time I won't pursue this any further, the scobes won again, I've healed from the injuries and I'm cycling a different route : that's the sad truth

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

darconio wrote: »
    They threw something at my face, I nearly lost my balance, knowing what happened I wouldn't have said anything, but again if you don't say anything then you'll become their target every time they are bored.

No, you'll become their target now because you reacted to their bullsh1t. Ignore them.

Report to the guards anyway, for crime statistics reasons if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

mal1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't report it. I would be careful about making a statement since he stopped and confronted the lads. If the kids are caught, they will most likely make a counter claim and you could find yourself in court under Section 6 depending on the garda investigating.
    A counter claim in a criminal investigation? For what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My experience with gardai keep being unlucky, and every time I deal with them to report a crime I feel like they can't be bothered. Even in this instance I went to report the assault to Crumlin garda station and I was told that I need to go to Kilmainham that is completely out of my way: surely they have the same system and a crime reported in Crumlin will pop up in every an garda terminal right? If not how can they persecute criminals in general?
    I'm sorry but this time I won't pursue this any further, the scobes won again, I've healed from the injuries and I'm cycling a different route : that's the sad truth
    My car got messed with in Blackrock and I reported it in Greystones Garda Station - and to be honest I think they went into to much detail recording it and taking my statement! Garda from Blackrock rang me over it the next day and I got two follow up letters over it.

Maybe I got a really good set of gardai, and you got a bad set - our experiences couldn't be more different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

As I said in another thread. Report it and get a pulse number. **** it if nothing is done, you don't report it and the statistics won't show it as a problem. The Garda could claim a decrease in assaults, when it's higher than it should be.

Been honest. I do wonder how badly out of touch statistics for the Garda are. No body seems to report anything these days and wonder why there are no Garda anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

RasTa wrote: »
    Reminds me a bit of this. Violence won't stop anything, most of these kids would be getting beaten regularly by their parents anyway

Brilliant, fair play to the guy for going after them and at he best the little tubby guy in the grey tracky got some much needed exercise :)

As a few have stated stopping to talk to them was completely the wrong thing to do. I'm not condoning violence and saying the OP should have used force but he should have kept on going or gone back to them showing no fear like this courier did.

A few years ago i was driving home in the snow( with my bike on a rack on my car) after my Wife had told me she was having a miscarriage. The traffic was pretty bad so i was obviously in the height of it when a load of little feckers started throwing snowballs at my car,one i was sure had something inside it as it left a dent in my door.
    I got out and ran straight in the middle of them grabbing two of them and without having to use any violence they started ****ting themselves seeing the rage on my face and giving it all the sorry mister crap.

Sure enough on my way back 15 minutes later to the hospital they were gone

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My car got messed with in Blackrock and I reported it in Greystones Garda Station - and to be honest I think they went into to much detail recording it and taking my statement!
    They're not exactly mad busy.

https://www.greystonesguide.ie/weekly-crime-figures-dec-24th/

Theft from Shop – 2
    Criminal Damage – 1 – Tyre damaged
    Theft of Vehicles – 1 – Son took car without permission

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I'm cycling a different route :

Same here on foot of this thread. At least until it brightens up a bit at hometime anyway.

TheChizler wrote: »
    A counter claim in a criminal investigation? For what?
    Threatening behaviour if the teenagers make a counter statement and there are no witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

mal1 wrote: »
    Threatening behaviour if the teenagers make a counter statement and there are no witnesses.
    Sure in that case why would you report anything to the guards ever?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Sure in that case why would you report anything to the guards ever?

Exactly, I believe that this is one of the reasons. People have zero trust in the gardai doing a good job, particularly when it comes to certain stations in the country. You might get a lazy garda (and sergeant) that won't bother investigating, just read the statements, pick out the possible summons, send out the paperwork and let the judge decide. I've seen it happen.

I won't report anything unless it is serious or I have a witness. If you make a statement with no witnesses then the accused will make one and they will often make a counter claim to yours. No third party & lazy garda, then it may go to court and the judge will decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same place, but I feel like I nearly had an incident a few weeks ago on the grand canal path. It was heading out of town and after crossing the road at the Black Horse to go fully away from the traffic. You pass one gate and then a few hundred meters later there's another one beside some flats.

It was about 5pm and dark with a bunch of teenagers at the second, isolated, gate. I thought I caught them looking at me as I approached to me so I figured I'd turn around and go home the longer way. As soon as I turned around they burst out laughing at me. Proof enough for me that there would have been an incident if I went on.

It's at the stage for me now, that this fantastic amenity of total segration from traffic can only be used in the early morning or if its a mouldy evening and raining. Damn scumbags can't let us have anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Skangers wreck everything; amenities, national holidays, public infrastructure, public transport and national reputation.
    While I'm looking forward to a civic plaza on College Green, I can already see the BS that going to go on there.

• Advertisement

onmebike wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's exactly the same place, but I feel like I nearly had an incident a few weeks ago on the grand canal path. It was heading out of town and after crossing the road at the Black Horse to go fully away from the traffic. You pass one gate and then a few hundred meters later there's another one beside some flats.

It was about 5pm and dark with a bunch of teenagers at the second, isolated, gate. I thought I caught them looking at me as I approached to me so I figured I'd turn around and go home the longer way. As soon as I turned around they burst out laughing at me. Proof enough for me that there would have been an incident if I went on.

It's at the stage for me now, that this fantastic amenity of total segration from traffic can only be used in the early morning or if its a mouldy evening and raining. Damn scumbags can't let us have anything.

Yes that's the spot where they gather

Similar to me, I live in Drimnagh and a group of teenage girls tried to push me into the canal one night just before The Black Horse. I now cycle on Davitt Road. If it's dark and I'm heading to Lucan then I stay on the road. I've had multiple incidents in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Think I seen the same teenagers at the gate/style... they asked me the time.

Perhaps they read this thread and are having a really good laugh.

Or .. "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke.

I have cycled past this morning/evening and sometimes late for the past few years with no real issues. Good men should not cede ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Ok lads just a heads up as it seems like a lot of you are not from an area like this. The reason the are asking you for the time is so you take your mobile out. Old tactic that is quite effective. Soon as you take it out be prepared for a good slap from one while another grabs and bolts...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

RasTa wrote: »
    Reminds me a bit of this. Violence won't stop anything, most of these kids would be getting beaten regularly by their parents anyway

I’d say that’s total victory for the kids there tbh. Really isn’t worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

gk5000 wrote: »
    Think I seen the same teenagers at the gate/style... they asked me the time.

Perhaps they read this thread and are having a really good laugh.

Or .. "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke.

I have cycled past this morning/evening and sometimes late for the past few years with no real issues. Good men should not cede ground.

That's a fine theory but they don't strike me as the type of people to have a reasoned debate at the side of the canal whether they should hit or rob you or not. I'm not a fighter so not in a position to defend myself so I prefer to avoid the situation and keep my belongings and safety.

I really don't think it's asking too much of the Guards to police this amenity a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

LennoxR wrote: »
    I really don't think it's asking too much of the Guards to police this amenity a bit.

Yeah, you'd have to wonder how much effort it would be stick a Garda out of uniform on a bike and cycle this route?

I guess they dont bother as there is no positive outcome.

The scrotes, even if arrested, would be back out in the same place before the days end.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah, you'd have to wonder how much effort it would be stick a Garda out of uniform on a bike and cycle this route?

I guess they dont bother as there is no positive outcome.

The scrotes, even if arrested, would be back out in the same place before the days end.

A Garda presence, even if it was intermittent, would surely act as a deterrent, even if they never caught said scrotes' Yeah a bicycle Garda or two patrolling it every now and again would probably do the job.

• Advertisement

I don't think Gardai will take any action until a consistent number of people report them what's happening. But again see my post before, they make it look like it's something it would bother them, even to simply record what happened into their system.
    When my bike got stolen I reported the theft to the station concerning that area: I provided them all the necessary details even provided footage with the scobes clearly visible and recognizable on video. I went back the following week with some picture printed from the footage: the garda at the desk didn't even know what I was talking about....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement