Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sucker punched to the head

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I don't know if it's an example of an oxymoron, but those insisting that you do not report it are clueless. How anybody expects this sort of thing to stop on it's own is beyond me.

OP report this to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I don't know if it's an example of an oxymoron, but those insisting that you do not report it are clueless. How anybody expects this sort of thing to stop on it's own is beyond me.

OP report this to the Gardai.
    I think advocating non reporting is just plain moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

darconio wrote: »
    the garda at the desk didn't even know what I was talking about....

I fully agree with the importance of reporting, but really, what did you expect?

Do you expect that every Garda in every station gets briefed on every minor crime that happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I fully agree with the importance of reporting, but really, what did you expect?

Do you expect that every Garda in every station gets briefed on every minor crime that happens?

I'm not sure, perhaps log in the terminal and look up under my name what was reported? and add to the file the pics? or give me an update on the investigation?

Or open the logbook :( and see what was reported on that day under my name?
    Are we talking about a national police force aren't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

There was one maybe two occasions what could have been an issue from younger members of the welfare class / likely clients of the criminal justice system, but somehow happened to one of my locks in my hand / resting my hand on it, so they thought better of troubling me.

The problem with reporting is that all the times I did it the Garda was reluctant to take the report. On the last (non bike) occasion when I reported something or tried to in this case, the Garda in Donnybrook station seemed to enjoy questioning what I was reported, so I was content that I had the matter resolved privately (the contract of the thick was trying to report was ended after I and a woman witness made a detailed report to the employer of the genius on his threatening behaviour). If a person has very limited time, I could well understand why it could be considered a waste. Recent revelations certainly confirm what I long thought of them. Maybe a suit and a posh accent when next I report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Just a heads up to the cyclists along the grand canal. The bluebell lot are at it again. A local said that a girl cycling to work at 8:30 this morning was robbed of her bike at the barriers. I notice that they are smashing bottles in the same area so you’ll have to get off the bike.

Sounds like you need an IBIKEDublin on steroids group to take that space back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sounds like you need an IBIKEDublin on salbutamol group to take that space back.
    FTFY.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Just a heads up to the cyclists along the grand canal. The bluebell lot are at it again. A local said that a girl cycling to work at 8:30 this morning was robbed of her bike at the barriers. I notice that they are smashing bottles in the same area so you’ll have to get off the bike.

Scumbags. I had noticed the glass (and requested it be cleaned) but hadn't thought it to be that malicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

See my post in the "todays cycle" thread. Saw them at 8am, waiting. I phoned the guards and reported afterwards... I guess they didn't get out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

darconio wrote: »
    They threw something at my face, I nearly lost my balance, knowing what happened I wouldn't have said anything, but again if you don't say anything then you'll become their target every time they are bored.

Having dealt with scrotes like this for years here is what I have learned:

Reporting it is a waste of time. The Gardai don't care unless someone is seriously injured.

If they are under 18, the Gardai will not do anything about them either. Worst they'll get is a stern talking to and they will pretty much laugh at the Gardai in question.

They love a reaction. They get a kick out of it. Reacting means they will be MORE LIKELY to do it again, not less likely. These feral bastards get enjoyment out of tormenting people.

The ONLY thing they understand is getting lumps kicked out of them.

In which case, YOU will be the one in trouble.

Keep cycling and ignore them. Hard to do I know but thats the sad reality of Ireland in 2018 where feral teenagers can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Reporting it may feel like a waste of time, but it's not. If nothing else, it builds crime statistics, and statistics which show the lack of usefulness of the police. How can you effect change if you accept things as given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

el tel wrote: »
    Reporting it may feel like a waste of time, but it's not. If nothing else, it builds crime statistics, and statistics which show the lack of usefulness of the police. How can you effect change if you accept things as given.

That depends on the Gardai recording things accurately...or even giving a **** to.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

My Post from another thread ,similar incident just a few days ago:
    twinsen wrote: »
    Not sure if this counts, but myself and a friend were cycling to Lucan along the canal yesterday.
    Around the Park west google maps we have met group of young kids with few bulterrier dogs and couple of horses. Once we passed them they sent towards us two fist size stones. One missed my friend by couple inches.
    We have rang Gardai to inform about the incident, and watched them from safe distance for next 30 minutes, but they never came.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

My Post from another thread ,similar incident just a few days ago:

That would be the scum from cherry orchard. Hang around there when the sun comes out. A real rough lot. Girls especially. They love to spit and scream when cycling past. Best to keep a distance from that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Couple of lads hanging around Father Matthew bridge on bikes by Woodquay swiping phones from pedestrians and racing off up the quays against traffic and disappearing into Smithfield, the poor guy thought they had just slapped him but a split second later realised they had took his phone...

Caught it on my bike cam and reported it to the Gardai... saw the same ballbags the next day stalking more pedestrians on Capel st bridge, rang the Gardai and reported them... Maybe they came...maybe they didn't

Always keep an eye on my garmin and strap my laptop bag on tightly when on the quays.

Back on topic... I'd definitely be avoiding the canal between Bluebell and Parkwest, I worked in Parkwest for years and know what kind of scum can be around, there's not much of an escape route along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The ONLY thing they understand is getting lumps kicked out of them.

Do they even understand that? I always thought this just made them double down and attack their next victim harder as it would make them feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

We have rang Gardai to inform about the incident, and watched them from safe distance for next 30 minutes, but they never came.

There's a lot of crimes Gardaí just aren't bothered dealing with and don't show up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

jon1981 wrote: »
    Couple of lads hanging around Father Matthew bridge on bikes by Woodquay swiping phones from pedestrians and racing off up the quays against traffic and disappearing into Smithfield, the poor guy thought they had just slapped him but a split second later realised they had took his phone...

Caught it on my bike cam and reported it to the Gardai... saw the same ballbags the next day stalking more pedestrians on Capel st bridge, rang the Gardai and reported them... Maybe they came...maybe they didn't

Always keep an eye on my garmin and strap my laptop bag on tightly when on the quays.

Back on topic... I'd definitely be avoiding the canal between Bluebell and Parkwest, I worked in Parkwest for years and know what kind of scum can be around, there's not much of an escape route along the canal.

Very easily stings could be set up, send people out with dummy phones and track them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Very easily stings could be set up, send people out with dummy phones and track them.

That's not your usual approach...

punisher-poster-header3.jpg

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    That's not your usual approach...

punisher-poster-header3.jpg

Very true, if I said what I really do I would be banned.....

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

the kissing gates are a pain. I know there supposed to stop motorbikes on the pathway, but they force you to slow to a stop. i wonder do they prevent Garda patrols too, as if they have to come on foot, the vacuous feral skangers can see them a mile off, and they run through their rat holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

It's really a shame that the Guards don't seem to make any effort to keep the Grand Canal path safe.

i wonder do they prevent Garda patrols too, as if they have to come on foot, the vacuous feral skangers can see them a mile off, and they run through their rat holes.
    If only there was some way that Gardai could perhaps go plain-clothes or undercover to fix that problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

the kissing gates are a pain. I know there supposed to stop motorbikes on the pathway, but they force you to slow to a stop. i wonder do they prevent Garda patrols too, as if they have to come on foot, the vacuous feral skangers can see them a mile off, and they run through their rat holes.

And they don't even do that.. most days you will meet kids on scramblers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

jon1981 wrote: »

Absolutely! Lived in Bluebell for over a decade. Easily becoming one of the worst areas in south Dublin. Cycling anywhere near the canal (or the estate) is asking for trouble in that area.

Can't see why a group isn't created and cycle in huge numbers.

Contact Garda and press.

Go pro or any camera and record how bad it is.

If enough complain they will have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Effects wrote: »
    Do they even understand that? I always thought this just made them double down and attack their next victim harder as it would make them feel better.
    Yes young ones nowadays can't take a hiding. If one of them gets his masculinity undermined in front of the gang, he will go out and find someone weaker to attack to resume his standing in the group. It's pure pack mentality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

forward8 wrote: »
    Absolutely! Lived in Bluebell for over a decade. Easily becoming one of the worst areas in south Dublin. Cycling anywhere near the canal (or the estate) is asking for trouble in that area.

Has it go much worse in the last year or so? Used to cycle the canal from Dolphins Barn to the Leinster Aqueduct quite often but haven't been in it for a year or so. Got a bit of lip from kids once or twice, and met plenty on scramblers and horses, but no serious hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

smacl wrote: »
    Has it go much worse in the last year or so? Used to cycle the canal from Dolphins Barn to the Leinster Aqueduct quite often but haven't been in it for a year or so. Got a bit of lip from kids once or twice, and met plenty on scramblers and horses, but no serious hassle.

It has gotten worse. I took a break from cycling it for about a year. Possibly now, it's partly due to the heatwave, but..

- More skangers drinking and smashing bottles than I remember
    - People fishing, who tend to be also drinking and have loose dogs running around the gaff. Nearly been hooked on more than one occasion.
    - So many horses. Probably because the grass on the canal is the only green grass to be found at the moment.
    - Mounds and mounds of horseshyte, due to the abundance of horses.
    - There seems to be broken glass everywhere
    - Gangs of miserable/angry looking kids shouting at eachother/you
    - reports of suckerpunching
    - reports of attempted bike theft at knifepoint
    - Sulky racing (for this I had to take evasive action!)

All that said - and touch wood - I haven't had any real bother myself. You hear stories about sh*t happening on the canal, but sh*t happens all over the city. I think I'd rather face the skangers than the motor vehicles!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement