Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sucker punched to the head

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

This thread caught my eye and confirmed what I suspected. I've been cycling this now for the last 3 months as we have a new office in Cherry Orchard, and thankfully I've had no hassle. But, I've sensed the danger. I think I've been ok as I go too early in the morning that their out of bed. Its the return leg home Im worried about, especially if I'm delayed and I have through on my own. I tend to hold back and wait for other commuters as there is safety in numbers. When Im on my own, I ride hard, and try to act hard. But that is not going to work out long term is it?
    I am going to make a complaint to Ballyfermot Gardai; It is total and utter horsesh^t that a decent commuter cycling route is hijacked like this. Leo's 'those who get up early in the morning' crew should be able to pass unmolested going about their business. That is the responsibility of the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This thread caught my eye and confirmed what I suspected. I've been cycling this now for the last 3 months as we have a new office in Cherry Orchard, and thankfully I've had no hassle. But, I've sensed the danger. I think I've been ok as I go too early in the morning that their out of bed. Its the return leg home Im worried about, especially if I'm delayed and I have through on my own. I tend to hold back and wait for other commuters as there is safety in numbers. When Im on my own, I ride hard, and try to act hard. But that is not going to work out long term is it?
    I am going to make a complaint to Ballyfermot Gardai; It is total and utter horsesh^t that a decent commuter cycling route is hijacked like this. Leo's 'those who get up early in the morning' crew should be able to pass unmolested going about their business. That is the responsibility of the police.

So you've cycled the route for 3 months and had no problems but you're going to make a complaint based on ?

A sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

grim reading, i was hoping to start commuting out that way. i think ill still give it a go, how would you organise a convoy system ? :D if im in the hot commuter time ill wait/ catch up to other cyclists so thats probably a sensible thing to do.

the glass sounds like a problem, are the chances of getting a puncture higher using that route? is so than the main road is a better option.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can't see why a group isn't created and cycle in huge numbers.
    Probably because no-one has got of their arse and organised it. Do you fancy kicking it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Probably because no-one has got of their arse and organised it. Do you fancy kicking it off?

Punisher..... Will sort things.... I'm a little busy at the moment though and as I live nowhere near be a bit difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

smacl wrote: »
    Has it go much worse in the last year or so? Used to cycle the canal from Dolphins Barn to the Leinster Aqueduct quite often but haven't been in it for a year or so. Got a bit of lip from kids once or twice, and met plenty on scramblers and horses, but no serious hassle.

Total sh*te hole :( . I'v seen everything imaginable in and around Bluebell. one of the big issues about the canal is that it's the only spot with green land / bushes in the entire estate so it attracts the scumbags from the area to go drinking and robbing. My advice is to stick to the main roads and avoid the estate and canal.

One has the right to defend oneself and I'm sorry to say but if I 12 year old comes at me with a knife then I'm sorry but he is going down on the ground.

In my job I've been threatened with syringes and knifes.

Some of these were kids with knifes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone fed up with this nonsense and wanting to do something about it called a keyboard warrior. The sensible thing is to get out of the situation as quick as possible but there's nothing stopping some of us knocking the ****e out of 1 or 2 lads. Just because they're ******** doesn't mean they're immune from a good punch to the jaw.
    But if you go to court for assaulting a 15 yr old you will be crucified, probably dragged over the coals in the press too. It doesn't matter if 4 of them jump you and you only acted in self-defence, the judge won't care.

Never mind the fact that some of them are the size of full grown men, are aggressive as hell and attack for no reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

But if you go to court for assaulting a 15 yr old you will be crucified, probably dragged over the coals in the press too. It doesn't matter if 4 of them jump you and you only acted in self-defence, the judge won't care.

Never mind the fact that some of them are the size of full grown men, are aggressive as hell and attack for no reason whatsoever.

I think I would take my chances in court

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It would never go to court. The Gardai wouldn't arrive when it happens and they wouldn't press charges to someone they assaulted. 4 ****** against 1 tax paying citizen is unlikely going to look bad for the person being assaulted.

• Advertisement

You're absolutely right, I can see the headline now.."Grown adult assaults school children" even though it may be defense and they might be 16, anti-social scum with multiple convictions already. This country seems to think youth can do nothing wrong and it's only until someone is seriously injured or murdered by a youth (or gang of them usually) that people take notice.

Irish youth are embedded in a culture of gang violence where respect is gained by acting the hard man and displaying mindless aggression, even though 90% of them would crumble like a piece of paper without the backing of their group. It's funny how they have such big mouths when they have 6 or 7 other tracksuit clad morons to back them up yet will not even look at you when you catch them on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

“Irish youth are embedded in a culture of gang violence“.

That’s a bit of a sweeping statement. The vast majority of Irish youth are grand, nice kids who you’d be proud of. Touch of the grumpy old man/woman in that statement. Of course there are exceptions. There always were.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Zen0 wrote: »

That’s a bit of a sweeping statement. The vast majority of Irish youth are grand, nice kids who you’d be proud of. Touch of the grumpy old man/woman in that statement. Of course there are exceptions. There always were.

I suppose the problem isn't the vast majority though, it's the ones your likely to meet on that section of the canal. Even most of those are probably fine if you're non-confrontational but the issue is dealing with the exceptions. Not a fan of a nanny state but it's terrible that this facility is considered unusable due to risk of violence. Tbh I've no issue with horses, scramblers or getting a bit of lip. The concern is physical assault.

Zen0 wrote: »

Well, I probably should have prefaced that with "a lot of". I think it also depends where you live to be honest. I've lived in upper class areas where there were lovely well behaved kids but even some of the posh teens would walk around putting on the inner city accents despite living in 500k houses with two cars in the drive.
    But It's when you live in the really bad areas and you can't even buy a loaf of bread or pay a bill at the local shops without verbal abuse or threats of physical violence that it starts to get under your skin.

I suppose when your experiencing anti socials on such a regular basis you start to forget that there are decent teens out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smacl wrote: »
    Not a fan of a nanny state
    i'm no fan of the nanny state either but we need more gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I fully accept it’s a problem, and if I were using that route I’d be well put out that the Gardaí don’t seem to be getting to grips with it. It’s just tarring all youth that I question. If someone posted in here that all cyclists were a bunch of red light jumpers there would rightly be a reaction. There are enough people in the world right now who seek to gain advantage by making sweeping generalizations about “others” that I believe that sweeping statements should be challenged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

guys - i know given the context, the use of the kn***** term was intended as 'general scumbags' but given it's also a slur at a specific group in society i've edited the words out in a post or two above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JackAdams

I hope you’re okay. Kids today are out of control. I came across a few scobes around my age standing outside a shop I was heading into and I was just innocently walking and they came up to my face. The leader was trying to intimidate me as the others laughed. I walked around him and as I was passing him I noticed he stuck his foot out to trip me up. Luckily I stepped over it and continued into the shop. He followed me in and walked beside me around the shop so I went to a member of staff and he left. As I was picking up items I saw the gang of them standing outside looking in the window to see if I was coming out. So I asked a member of staff if they could tell them to leave. So she did and said she’d call the guards if they’re still hanging around (they were intimidating people all day apparently). She checked outside a few minutes later and they were further up the road but still waiting for me to come out so I asked to borrow the staff members phone to ring someone for a lift. It’s tragic that I had to do that when I was simply going to the shops minding my own business. She was very helpful. I saw the same guy who was the leader of the group a few weeks later in my estate. He had totalled what I presume to be a stolen car and tried to drive it up a hill but it was so damaged it couldn’t handle it and the engine went on fire. He abandoned the car and went off with his friends. It’s sad that I have to avoid him near my home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can't understand why in this day and age the guards don't have a number you can live stream crimes like this to.

i'm no fan of the nanny state either but we need more gardai.
    A certain number of Gardai in each area tasked specifically with combatting anti-social underage gangs would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Maybe this is why it's been quieter this week:

Boy (15) who terrorised cyclists on Dublin canal sentenced

A 15-year-old boy, who terrorised cyclists along the Grand Canal in Dublin, has been detained for one year.
    The cyclists were robbed in the Bluebell and Blackhorse areas along the Grand Canal.
    Maybe it also settles the argument about whether it's worth reporting it to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Maybe it also settles the argument about whether it's worth reporting it to the guards.

The parents should be jailed also

If I'm walking past a group of young ones and I hear a foreign language, or eastern european accent, I breathe a sigh of relief. You never hear a peep out of them, compare that with the abuse you get from certain local teens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

That story is chilling - "pay a toll" ???

Not a cyclist myself but chilling to read what happens in what is meant to be a relatively nice area, stay safe out there guys and gals.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I missed joe yesterday

"Luca then rang the guards, who said they were already aware of the situation"...wonder how long it was between when the initial notification went in and they got around to cautioning them after 5pm

If I'm walking past a group of young ones and I hear a foreign language, or eastern european accent, I breathe a sigh of relief. You never hear a peep out of them, compare that with the abuse you get from certain local teens.

I feel the same way.
    What a shame we live in a country where we are supposed to be terrified of other peoples kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

forward8 wrote:
    Well, I probably should have prefaced that with "a lot of". I think it also depends where you live to be honest. I've lived in upper class areas where there were lovely well behaved kids but even some of the posh teens would walk around putting on the inner city accents despite living in 500k houses with two cars in the drive. But It's when you live in the really bad areas and you can't even buy a loaf of bread or pay a bill at the local shops without verbal abuse or threats of physical violence that it starts to get under your skin.

Upper class?? 500k house. 2 cars on the drive. Sounds like middle-class possibly, and more likely Joe slightly above average in the current Dublin property climate

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

I think the law needs to be more in line with the states in that if you are attacked you can use reasonable means to protect yourself.
    Self defence should be a right and it seems this countrys pity lies at the feet of the perpetrators in a lot of cases.I despise making excuses for little scum bags who have had hard lives.

• Advertisement

Hilarious to think the mother went off on one and stormed out of court because her little angel she believed was getting 2 years but came back as he is only getting one year detention.

Why oh why was this child let off to do his own thing from 9 or 10 and abusing drugs etc.

This woman should be ashamed and should be held accountable for her offspring.

Sounds like there are other siblings or family members up to no good also from what the judge said.

He hasn't been in school for a long time but has all the time in the world to terrorise others and Rob and attack people.

Social services should have taken this child off the mother years ago and if nothing else works he should be enlisted into the army.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement