Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving on from awkward situation

Options
  • 21-12-2017 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi All,

So I was in a situation a couple of months ago where I had to take a case against my manager for sexual harassment and discrimination. At the time it really affected me, my mental health went downhill fast and I completely retreated into myself.
    To give some background I had not been with the company that long, maybe 6 months, when I brought the issue forward. I'm conscious that because of what I was dealing with at the time, I came across as very distant to co workers. I am naturally quite an introverted person anyway.
    Fast forward a few months and the situation has been almost completely resolved, and I'm feeling so much better. The only thing is, without going into any detail, and I think without anyone meaning any offense, basically I found out what people's impression of me was - distant, quiet, removed. I know I'm probably being over sensitive, but now I feel really upset over this! In my previous jobs I always got on so well with everyone and was always so happy. I'm also worried that this could potentially follow me while I'm with the company. Anyone else been through this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Beanie5 wrote: »
    Hi All,

So I was in a situation a couple of months ago where I had to take a case against my manager for sexual harassment and discrimination. At the time it really affected me, my mental health went downhill fast and I completely retreated into myself.
    To give some background I had not been with the company that long, maybe 6 months, when I brought the issue forward. I'm conscious that because of what I was dealing with at the time, I came across as very distant to co workers. I am naturally quite an introverted person anyway.
    Fast forward a few months and the situation has been almost completely resolved, and I'm feeling so much better. The only thing is, without going into any detail, and I think without anyone meaning any offense, basically I found out what people's impression of me was - distant, quiet, removed. I know I'm probably being over sensitive, but now I feel really upset over this! In my previous jobs I always got on so well with everyone and was always so happy. I'm also worried that this could potentially follow me while I'm with the company. Anyone else been through this?

It’s work, let them think what they want.

Be nice and polite, talk and get to know people, I’m sure their opinion of you will change.

But I’d urge you to measure yourself against something other than what people in work think of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

_Brian wrote: »

But I’d urge you to measure yourself against something other than what people in work think of you.

Possibly one of the best pieces of advice I have ever read on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

the unfortunate thing with these complaints is that people always hear about it....no matter how confidential its hoped to be.

And once people hear about it, they are afraid of how to deal with you in case you make a complaint about them.

In a lot of cases, the only reasonable solution for you is to move to another place of work where the complaint isn't known.

Its not fair on you, but sometimes its the easiest solution.

good luck with it.

Advertisement