Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearbest usernames and passwords leaked online

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

glasso wrote: »
    what could they do with your account in any case?
    unless you store a credit card on it?

Most people have the same user name and password for other websites, so they can try to logon to other websites, if credit card is saved they will try to place orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I have a heap of accounts with the same email address and password that I have with GearBest... Help?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

I have a heap of accounts with the same email address and password that I have with GearBest... Help?!

No you don't

Kuva wrote: »
    No you don't

I do!... I'm signed up to loads of sites that I have the same PW and email, have been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Help? As in, someone else do what you couldn't be bothered to?

No one can help you now but yourself (always was only you that could). Off you go now and start changing your passwords like derekeire:
    My 2 primary gmail accounts were on that site on 7 separate listings! It will be a long day at work changing my password on every site I am registered with.

• Advertisement

Can the hackers get card details? I've been trying to change details on AliExpress and there is no option to change, I go to 'my account' but there's no option to change the password or email, even on the desktop site.

Help? As in, someone else do what you couldn't be bothered to?:

No, I don't except someone else to do that, jezz! Just panicking and looking for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Don't see the BA here, has the hacked info been reduced in price?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I do!... I'm signed up to loads of sites that I have the same PW and email, have been for years.
    I do not use one, but you may want to try a password manager
    https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407168,00.asp

I do not know how much i would trust them, but they seem to be proven reliable and they may help you change all site passwords individually, much quicker than it would take you otherwise.
    Although you will still have to login to all the sites.

BTW some of those programs are often free on sites like sharewareonsale and giveawayoftheday.
    (Coincidentally Staganos is free at the moment - but i have no idea if it is any good).
    https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=x749WpnxKsrWjwS3jLjwCw&q=is+it+safe+to+use+a+password+manager&oq=is+it+safe+to+use+a+password+manager&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30k1.1087.1087.0.1919.1.1.0.0.0.0.343.343.3-1.1.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.1.342....0.gATSVgCcz5k

Can the hackers get card details? I've been trying to change details on AliExpress and there is no option to change, I go to 'my account' but there's no option to change the password or email, even on the desktop site.
    They can if you use the same details on other sites that the card details are visible, or sites where you may have saved photographs backed up of details that you may need etc.
    degsie wrote: »

It should be in Freebies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I really really really wouldn't download a password manager from ANY other site than the official website.

I use LastPass, I'd recommend it but there are others that are nearly equivalent.

It has a tool (which I haven't used) that resets your password for you on the more commonly used sites. Possibly better to do it yourself though but keep all the passwords in your password manager

I'd start with changing the password for your email accounts, that's the main point of weakness. Then on to your more commonly used sites (amazon, ebay)

If you're really worried you could get your credit card disabled temporarily while you do this. And watch your credit card statements for suspicious purchases or small test transactions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,332 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Apparently LastPass is now free for personal users.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

I did have same as amazon so changed that first as if details were taken, im guessing it'd be one of the first places that would be used

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

degsie wrote: »

It could save boardsies a lot of time and money to take steps to secure their accounts after this breach. Although you were only being pedantic.

I certainly appreciate the posting here where it's visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

rgodard80a wrote: »
    It could save boardsies a lot of time and money to take steps to secure their accounts after this breach. Although you were only being pedantic.

I certainly appreciate the posting here where it's visible.

Ignore him, he's just the first of the Me! Me! Me! crowd to turn up. The rest will probably be along soon with their smartar$e comments.

I use a different username and password for every site. I keep them all written down in a notebook. Some will say this isn't the safest thing to do, bit I reckon it's safer than using the same info on multiple sites. Use the same email address alright so I'll change the p/w on that to be safe.
    Cheers OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very helpful that it was posted here where its like those users will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

beauf wrote: »
    Very helpful that it was posted here where its like those users will be.

You'd be waiting a while for gearbest to post it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Cienciano wrote: »
    You'd be waiting a while for gearbest to post it

On their forum They're still linking to that fake xiamoi site that "confirms" the fake stuff they sell is actually real.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved to Consumer Issues from Bargain Alerts now as most poster would have had chance to see it.

CI charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

My 2 primary gmail accounts were on that site on 7 separate listings! It will be a long day at work changing my password on every site I am registered with.

Mine's on 8 - including Adobe, Disqus, Dropbox, LinkedIn and Paddy Power.
    The sooner these muppets start facing hefty fines for such breaches the sooner they might start taking security seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://www.facebook.com/gearbest/posts/1685456898169605
    Dear Valued Customers,

We kindly bring your attention to the fact that some unidentified hackers gained large amounts of personal data from other websites and are trying to use this data to deceptively sign into Gearbest. Immediately after identifying this irregularity, we have frozen a few hundred affected accounts and updated our IT system for suspicious IPs. The situation is completely under control.

However, for your personal account security, we kindly recommend that you change your password if you feel that it is too simple (password with a combination of letters, numbers and symbols are considered to be more complex). At the same time, we also recommend that you do not use the same email address and password on different websites.

We will always be 100% committed to maintain our website as a safe and reliable place for your guaranteed shopping experience.

If you have any queries or may need any assistance, please contact our Support Team

Yours Sincerely

Gearbest.com

Security Update :For your safety and security we have added a new verification code system for all customers when logging into Gearbest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement