Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround sound for 4K projector

Options
  • 21-12-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

So...to cut a long story short, I'm moving into an apartment which has a pretty snazzy 4K projector in the living room. At the moment, the owner only uses the speaker output from the projector itself, which I think is a shame as the quality of the video is unbelievable! I know absolutely nothing about surround sound so am looking for some advice on where to start....what exactly do I need to be looking for on Amazon (Germany!!) - or do you need more info on the actual projector?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,
    Just out of curiosity, what's connected to the projector at the moment ?

If you want surround sound to go with the picture, you need an AV receiver and speakers - you can have 2 speakers (stereo only) or 5 speakers and a subwoofer for low frequency sound ( speakers are: front L and R, Centre ( for dialogue mainly) and two rear surround speakers ( can be expanded to 4 surround, or additional ceiling or height speakers for the newer sound formats such as Dolby Atmos).

Your sources ( cable/satellite tv, blu ray player, media player, Xbox etc) connect to the AV receiver by HDMI, and another HDMI cable goes from AV receiver to the Projectior. The AV Receiver decodes the audio signal, amplifies it and send it to the speakers, and sends the video to projector.

What you choose depends on your budget and whether you want stereo speakers or full surround - give us an idea and you might get some suggestions.

Ritz

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

As far as I understand, the projector is connected to Apple TV. Or are you asking about speakers?! Sorry - I'm completely ignorant!!

It sounds as if I would require a wire coming from the projector - is that correct? The projector is in the middle of the ceiling so I was really hoping to avoid any wires...maybe I can post some pics when I move in

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,

I was asking what source ( viðeo and audio) was connected to the projector. Unless the projector has a wireless connection, you have to have some way of getting a signal to it.

To be honest, given the level of your understanding of how these things work together I think you'd be better off getting someone local to you to take a look, find out what you think you'd like to achieve and then give you some advice on what equipment to get and probably help you connect it all together.

By all means post some pictures of what's already installed when you move in, it might make things clearer.

Cheers,

Ritz

Advertisement