Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless man dies in fire Nenagh

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

splinter65 wrote: »
    .....And then the newly literate children taught their children to read.
    I taught my child to read, my mother taught me, her mother taught her, despite living in a hovel in the side of the street with a husband on the dole and 5 other kids.
    The children have the chance to bring their books home after school.
    20 minutes at bedtime.
    No excuses.

That’s a nice to have. I’m pretty sure I learned to read at school, not home. It shouldn’t be the case that the parents are a necessity to their children learning to read and write - the State is mostly responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That’s a nice to have. I’m pretty sure I learned to read at school, not home. It shouldn’t be the case that the parents are a necessity to their children learning to read and write - the State is mostly responsible.

What a pathetic attitude, the state doesn’t force anyone to get pregnant. The state provides education to every child. If the parents don’t avail of these it’s their fault, not the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

The problem is the irish government only has a certain amount of money and irish people want nordic style services but are unwilling to pay more taxes. Low pay workers pay little to no tax and middle to high pay workers believe they pay too much tax even tho tax rates go as high as 65 percent in some scandaivan countries. Then there is the other issuse of irish people unwilling to pay sensible charges like water charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

This is what is wrong here at the moment.
    The State did not decide to conceive and give birth to the children.
    The child’s parents did.
    The child’s parents are responsible for the child. They are adults.
    I have no idea why you think that the State should be responsible .
    I’d love to hear you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Whose fault is it if a child can’t read? If you bring your kid to school and do the basics with them at home, your child will be able to read.

Agreed.

So every child has equal opportunities. Except they don't because some have drop-kick parents who can't even manage to do the basics.

And its likely such parents will also do, or fail to prevent, other stuff which traumatises the kids so some end up addicted and homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The problem is the irish government only has a certain amount of money and irish people want nordic style services but are unwilling to pay more taxes. Low pay workers pay little to no tax and middle to high pay workers believe they pay too much tax even tho tax rates go as high as 65 percent in some scandaivan countries. Then there is the other issuse of irish people unwilling to pay sensible charges like water charges.

Yet the Nordic countries have more homeless people than Ireland!!

Go figure..

This is what is wrong here at the moment.
    The State did not decide to conceive and give birth to the children.
    The child’s parents did.
    The child’s parents are responsible for the child. They are adults.
    I have no idea why you think that the State should be responsible .
    I’d love to hear you though.

The state is literally responsible for teaching children to read. Parents might help. They might not. Mine didn’t except to occasionally ask me to read something I had learned at school.

Given that children start school (4) before the age most learn to read (6) and are taught the alphabet and primers at school I would have thought it obvious that the primary responsibility lies with the school.

It’s not only a bad argument in itself but it reduces your argument about equality. If parents are the primary teachers for readership, then children born into those families where children are not taught to read at home are at a disadvantage. However you denied there were inequalities in Ireland precisely because of free schooling.

The rates are higher, when they are, but at much higher salaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It’s not only a bad argument in itself but it reduces your argument about equality. If parents are the primary teachers for readership, then children born into those families where children are not taught to read at home are at a disadvantage. However you denied there were inequalities in Ireland precisely because of free schooling.
    Free education offers equality of opportunity. We don't (and shouldn't) offer equality of outcome.

• Advertisement

The state is literally responsible for teaching children to read. Parents might help. They might not. Mine didn’t except to occasionally ask me to read something I had learned at school.

Given that children start school (4) before the age most learn to read (6) and are taught the alphabet and primers at school I would have thought it obvious that the primary responsibility lies with the school.

Every single child has the same opportunity the day they first start school.
    The state provides that opportunity.
    What you are suggesting is that irregardless of terrible desicions and life choices made by their parents, and subsequently by themselves, that the state should take up the slack all along the way and award the same privileges and lifestyle to people who choose to live in chaos, as those who choose to work hard and make sacrifices.
    How is that even remotely fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

From what I read all the homeless are in hotels and bnbs?

893bet wrote: »

The left are broadening the scope of who is “homeless”.
    Apparently my 20 year old daughter living at home with us is homeless because the state has not provided her with her own forever home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

893bet wrote: »

Well the poor unfortunate man technically was. It was a shut down pub and b and b he was squatting in. Probably a whole lot more comfortable having the full building to himself than in one room in a b and b and having to.be out by 10 am each morning.

Advertisement