Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the large drop? mod note: post 82

• 22-12-2017 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Is there any reason for the large drop overnight in the 4 currencies held on coinbase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

When Bitcoin falls everything tends to more or less follow suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It's winding back about a month and flushing out all the FOMO buyers, I think..

I'd say the insider trading has something to do with it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

tis the start of the xmas sales lads.....be grand!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cryptomines

dashoonage wrote: »
    tis the start of the xmas sales lads.....be grand!!!!!

Yup, all on sale! This is just a correction that has been coming for a few weeks now, the 3rd major one we've seen this year. An amazing buy oppertunity for a couple of coins now, gonna stock up some more IOTA this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

might be relevant in this thread too
    0r3.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    Is there any reason for the large drop overnight in the 4 currencies held on coinbase?

Because it's a bubble!

The thing that was driving the price up was everyone jumping on board. Now people are selling.

It's the people at the top of the pyramid that bought in at 19k or so that'll be stung. The smart ones have made their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Because it's a bubble!

The thing that was driving the price up was everyone jumping on board. Now people are selling.

It's the people at the top of the pyramid that bought in at 19k or so that'll be stung. The smart ones have made their money.

There is a lesser known bubble that peaked and popped around this time last year. It followed the exact same time line and an identical pattern.

The fundamental flaw was precisely the same as what I see with Bitcoin, I can't help but wonder if this is another classic Chinese pump and dump. The Chinese are the masters of the pump and dump, they invented it.

I'm referring to 4 Letter .com domains made up of consonants. Prices went from $150 up to $2700 in the space of approx 6-8 months. It also happened with a variety of other domain classes, including 6 digit .com domains which overnight went from worthless to valuable.

Domain mania gripped China and there were institutions throwing money around for people to borrow to buy these digital assets.

The fundamental flaw with this massive fluctuation was that user demand for these domains didn't reflect the change in price, it remained unchanged and the surge was purely investor driven.

I see the same issue with bitcoin, the price doesn't reflect the level of mass adoption. As a vendor accepting bitcoin as a payment method, it's been a sweet ride the past few months, but those who get stung in the tail accepting a currency that suffers huge drops are going to rethink accepting it as a payment method and this only stifles adoption rates.

Based on this pattern, I suspect Bitcoin is going to lose at least 50% of its current price between now and March. Just my humble opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Arbitrary wrote: »
    I suspect Bitcoin is going to lose at least 50% of its current price between now and March.

I love it when you talk dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Arbitrary wrote:
    Based on this pattern, I suspect Bitcoin is going to lose at least 50% of its current price between now and March. Just my humble opinion.

It's clearly obvious, bitcoin is unusable as a currency in its current format, for many of the reasons that you have outlined. It 'll be interesting to see if it has a future, folks are gonna get stung though, some very badly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ... folks are gonna get stung though, some very badly

Only if they sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Asking why a cryptocurrency is falling is a bit like asking why is it raining today.....trying to rationalise something like that is not going to help you very much.

Why has Bitcoin risen so much?

Is it because its an endorsement of a distributed risk model of currency that people view as a superior model to that currently regulated by Central Banks?

Or is it because people are buying it because its gone up so much, and they think therefore it will go up more.

I know which I think.

If its answer B, then dont look for logic when the thing starts to fall.

Remember all the irish housing market in 2007 - the demographics were supportive, interests rates were low, wages were rising yada yada yada all great reasons why house prices deserved to be where they were that just went out the window once the crash came. Thats how it rolls in a bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

grindle wrote: »
    Only if they sell.

or buy

depends which way it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Remember all the irish housing market in 2007 - the demographics were supportive, interests rates were low, wages were rising yada yada yada all great reasons why house prices deserved to be where they were that just went out the window once the crash came. Thats how it rolls in a bubble.

not to drag off topic, but the housing market bubble died because banks suddenly had no liquidity....businesses scaled back, jobs were lost. people couldnt afford to service loans and had to sell up at depressed prices.

grindle wrote:
    Only if they sell.

I'm afraid the believers in bitcoin are in that euphoric state that occurs in 'all' bubbles, I.e. prices will never fall! Be careful folks, be very very careful! I suspect the parasites and predators have entered 'the game', be prepared to play hard, but be prepared for the hard landing, as 'soft landings' are a myth!

daheff wrote:
    not to drag off topic, but the housing market bubble died because banks suddenly had no liquidity....businesses scaled back, jobs were lost. people couldnt afford to service loans and had to sell up at depressed prices.

Maybe it was to do with the global financial ponzi scheme of debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

grindle wrote: »
    I love it when you talk dirty.

Haha.

Bookmarked. I'll come back and quote your post in March, right or wrong.

daheff wrote: »

Its not off topic at all.

Its about what happens in a bubble.

In a bubble - people are buying because the price is going up, and pretty much for no other reason.

However, so-called experts (ie vested interests) will wheel out all these logical reasons as to why the price will keep going up. Its just marketing spin designed to reassure people that it is not in fact a bubble.

And people buy because the thing is going up; but they think its ok because the experts have told them about X, Y , Z. In the case of the irish property market, Demographics was the big one.

And then when the thing crashes......and the reasons why are not really relevant here......the people who bought are standing there saying 'but what about the demographics'.......

You have wheeled out a list of reasons why the property market fell.

All kind of valid. But ultimately it wasnt that house prices fell, but how much they fell. And the reason they fell so much, was because of how much they had gone up in the first place. And you can look at all the details behind that; but ultimately, at the core of it, that was the issue.

EDIT - And I'm not explicitly saying Bitcoin is a bubble. I am simply saying 0 if you are buying this thing, understand what the reasons are for buying it - why is it good value at this price. If you cant answer that, then why are you buying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Asking why an ICO is falling is a bit like asking why is it raining today.....trying to rationalise something like that is not going to help you very much.

Why has Bitcoin risen so much?

Is it because its an endorsement of a distributed risk model of currency that people view as a superior model to that currently regulated by Central Banks?

Or is it because people are buying it because its gone up so much, and they think therefore it will go up more.

I know which I think.

If its answer B, then dont look for logic when the thing starts to fall.

Not too be pedantic but do you know what an ico Is?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 crkcvnirl

Sarah1916 wrote: »

This is slightly off topic, watched "Banking on Bitcoin" on netflix last night.

There's certainly a lot of commercial interest in the blockchain element created around the currency. There's a lot of heavy hitters circling.

No one can really say where B.C will go, but the NYC financial regulator (who's a very cheeky chap) gives an indication where he and his peers want it to go.

Enjoy

• Advertisement

Not too be pedantic but do you know what an ico Is?

Yes.

Not to be pedantic, but if you disagree with what I said, then why not say what it is you disagree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Looked at the total market cap about an hour ago and it was about $520B, it's at about $546B already again. So volatile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

It's a slaughter guys. The butchers have come to chop up the bacon for Christmas. Bitcoin bubble is slowly having the air leaked out of it. Bad sting in the tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

i really like your posts! every one of them has made me smile. don't feel bullied, that's not how it is.

keep it up man.

Yes.

Not to be pedantic, but if you disagree with what I said, then why not say what it is you disagree with.

Sure, how can an ICO dip or fall?

Sure, how can an ICO dip or fall?

You and your trick questions....

I'll fix the post.

You and your trick questions....

I'll fix the post.

I didn't mean to trick! there's just so many new posters around we need to be clear on acronyms etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

This isn't that big of a dip, back in July the market cap was almost halved, went down 100billion this time. Feel bad for new people coming into the market now, so risky when it has growing so fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

5th 30% drop this year...you'd think people would be used to it by now :) !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Is there any way to short bitcoin?

Advertisement