Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter soaked muslin over Turkey

• 22-12-2017 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi

Has anyone tried this?
    Soak a muslin cloth in butter and wrap the Turkey in it.

A work colleague does this and said she doesn't need to baste the Turkey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I haven't done it before, but am doing it this year. I'll also be covering it in foil.

I'll remove both for the last 45 mins (but pop rashers on the breasts) to crisp up the skin on the legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I haven't done it before, but am doing it this year. I'll also be covering it in foil.

I'll remove both for the last 45 mins (but pop rashers on the breasts) to crisp up the skin on the legs.

I read that as Muslim and I was like what?!
    Sorry, I don't have any advice to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Trying it too!!

Hopefully will be nice and save job of basting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Meat probe, alarm at 65c. Juicy bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

s15r330 wrote: »
    I read that as Muslim and I was like what?!
    Sorry, I don't have any advice to offer.

Butter soaked Muslim 😂
    Infidel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

Have done it - it def works. Way better than using rashers. Just still need to put tin foil over the top if it's a big bird as the muslin can still scorch.
    Places like Hickeys sell the muslin and will know how much you need - buy enough for 2 and get ahead for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

My mother did this for years and it was very successful. She used to use a J cloth ( brand new, obviously) and it worked really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

huskerdu wrote: »
    My mother did this for years and it was very successful. She used to use a J cloth ( brand new, obviously) and it worked really well.
    What a great idea, I will most certainly doing this this year, this is the first time I have heard of this, Thanks for this great tip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My mother uses this technique when roasting chicken or turkey. She lays a pice of soft thin cloth on top (not muslin, but often cotton), then bastes through the cloth all throughout. It works really well for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

This was huge success!!
    Breast meat was very juicy.
    Also wrapped tinfoil around the tray.

Another tip that Mr Lj tried was to wrap the the wings and thigh in sliced pan bread and then in tinfoil.
    - before applying the butter soaked muslin.

He saw it on a Jamie Oliver program and worked out great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thanks, for that tip, did as you had advised for the butter on j cloth, worked a dream, the turkey was well enjoyed

Advertisement