Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US ETFs no longer purchasable in Europe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭wasabi

ronivek wrote: »
    I believe the withholding tax is only relevant if you're avoiding your tax liabilities to the Revenue: they will count the 15% against your total tax liability in Ireland so your net should still be the same.

Unless you have no income tax liability to Revenue, then you will lose out on the 15%.

With personal tax credit you would not pay anything to the Irish revenue on the first 8K or so of income each year (except PRSI), so if you're not earning then you could be in this position.

Sucks if you're trying to live off of investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JungleMartin

Does anyone know how the 8 year deemed disposal rule works if at the end of the 8 years you're showing a loss on your UCITS ETF?

An example will probably explain my question more clearly:

I invest €10,000 at the start of year 1. The market does it's thing over the 8 years with the usual ups and downs. It happens that year 8 coincides with a bear market and I'm down 20% on my initial investment, so that at the 8 year anniversary my UCITS ETF investment is now worth €8,000. Clearly, I owe no deemed disposal tax, so I simply leave the UCITS ETF as is, and thereby it automatically rolls into a 'new' 8 year period.

My question is: does Revenue deem my investment to have started afresh at the start of the second 8 year period - and therefore do they rebase my 'acquisition cost' as being €8,000 for the purpose of calculating any gain in the second 8 year period?

So if for example we go through a phase of anaemic growth in the second 8 year term, at the end of which my UCITS ETF is worth €10,000 - do Revenue deem me to have made a 'gain' of €2,000 over the second 8-year term, and therefore hit me with 41% of the 'gain' made over the second 8-year term? Meaning I'm at a loss in real terms. Or do they look back to the original acquisition cost of €10,000 at the start of the first 8-year period, and therefore (correctly IMO) view me as having made no gain so far over the life of my holding with that particular UCITS ETF?

I can't seem to find a firm answer on this.

Sounds like a good question to ask Revenue directly, in writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Vermelho

I just opened one through Firstrade fairly easily; my only concern right now is how to withdraw moneys without incurring fees which would somewhat defeat the purpose of going to all the trouble in the first place.

I have the same issue with handling cash from dividends or trades. My plan had also been to open a Firstrade account to trade US ETFs however I have realized that I cannot open a cash management account with them as I live outside the US. I had thought I could use a Transferwise Borderless US account but they do not accept transfers from brokerages.

Does anyone have any advice on how to open a US domestic bank account from Europe? The only other option is to open a USD account in Europe but this would incur wire charges of $50 a pop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Vermelho wrote: »
    I have the same issue with handling cash from dividends or trades. My plan had also been to open a Firstrade account to trade US ETFs however I have realized that I cannot open a cash management account with them as I live outside the US. I had thought I could use a Transferwise Borderless US account but they do not accept transfers from brokerages.

Does anyone have any advice on how to open a US domestic bank account from Europe? The only other option is to open a USD account in Europe but this would incur wire charges of $50 a pop!

I don’t think US investments are suitable if you plan to take an income. If you’re going long you can just setup an auto-reinvest with Firstrade.

How did you confirm that they won’t transfer to TransferWise US account?

I don’t think US investments are suitable if you plan to take an income. If you’re going long you can just setup an auto-reinvest with Firstrade.

How did you confirm that they won’t transfer to TransferWise US account?

Oh great, thanks, I did not know they had an auto-reinvest option. I do not want to take an income but I want to avoid Irish/EU ETFs due to the higher tax liability.

It is Transferwise that will not accept the transfer from them, as explained here:
    https://transferwise.com/help/article/2200390/creating-a-transfer/incompatible-accounts-and-currencies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Why don't you use Interactive Brokers instead, will get over your funding issue.

I don't think any of the brokers will accept Transferwise or CurrencyFair or any other 3rd party outfit, not sure why.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Why don't you use Interactive Brokers instead, will get over your funding issue.

I don't think any of the brokers will accept Transferwise or CurrencyFair or any other 3rd party outfit, not sure why.

I was more concerned about managing dividends and rebalancing than the initial funding, but may just set up to reinvest dividends instead. I do not plan on trading frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yes you can, I've just placed a buy order for VOO on TDAmeritrade, no problem.
    Mr Hoor, what is your preferred method to deposit funds and withdraw from TD, if you mind my asking?

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Mr Hoor, what is your preferred method to deposit funds and withdraw from TD, if you mind my asking?

It's a long time since I transferred funds to TD and haven't withdrawn. The last time I transferred money to a US broker I set up a US dollar account with BOI, I think I then transferred the money from my BOI Euro account to CurrencyFair, from there to my BOI US account, and from there to the US broker, it was cumbersome, a pain in the butt, and obviously incurred a fair bit in costs.

It's a long time since I transferred funds to TD and haven't withdrawn. The last time I transferred money to a US broker I set up a US dollar account with BOI, I think I then transferred the money from my BOI Euro account to CurrencyFair, from there to my BOI US account, and from there to the US broker, it was cumbersome, a pain in the butt, and obviously incurred a fair bit in costs.

Assume you did it that way though in order to save costs rather than doing a direct transfer with currency conversion from your EUR BOI ac? sounds painful alright but I also would probably just do this as a once off.

• Advertisement

Assume you did it that way though in order to save costs rather than doing a direct transfer with currency conversion from your EUR BOI ac? sounds painful alright but I also would probably just do this as a once off.

Yea it was to try to limit fees, hard to imagine that it would be far cheaper to go through an intermediary than direct from one BOI account to another but that was the way it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Could revolut assist in this day and age? I think one can send from dollar account with them

Dardania wrote: »
    Could revolut assist in this day and age? I think one can send from dollar account with them

I suspect the brokers won't deal with Revolut either although I don't know for definite.

I saw you mentioned IB in another thread, they sound WAY more approachable regarding depositing funds.

I saw you mentioned IB in another thread, they sound WAY more approachable regarding depositing funds.

Yea they are for sure
    With IB you are depositing Euro though, so it's always going to be easier, with the others your account is going to be in dollars which causes the challenges.

Yea they are for sure
    With IB you are depositing Euro though, so it's always going to be easier, with the others your account is going to be in dollars which causes the challenges.

Sounds good, but what are their costs like? Do they charge a single foreign exchange fee when depositing or is the forex only done at time of trade? Sorry I can’t find details on their website.

Sounds good, but what are their costs like? Do they charge a single foreign exchange fee when depositing or is the forex only done at time of trade? Sorry I can’t find details on their website.

Nevermind, found it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult - Warren Buffett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Dardania wrote: »

should read:

don't invest in an ETF when you understand the tax given the PRIIPS issue

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult - Warren Buffett.
    It's a way that natural selection rewards the more patient / risk takers. Darwin would be proud

Yea they are for sure
    On Second thought, they have an inactivity fee....no use for the build and hold strategy.

On Second thought, they have an inactivity fee....no use for the build and hold strategy.

Oops, wasn't aware of that, pretty significant too if you don't have sufficient equity in your account or aren't trading monthly.

Oops, wasn't aware of that, pretty significant too if you don't have sufficient equity in your account or aren't trading monthly.

I dunno, given the hassle to open a USD account and the cost of keeping one open I think it’s probably cheaper to just pay the monthly inactivity fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭goob20s

Have you looked at lynx. I think they're owned by interactive brokers.

I dunno, given the hassle to open a USD account and the cost of keeping one open I think it’s probably cheaper to just pay the monthly inactivity fee.

It's a tricky one, and depends on your situation. With TD or Firstrade, once you have them set up and initially funded, there are no further activity/inactivity fees, so your issue is how often are you going to be transferring funds.

The IB inactivity fee at $120 per year is pretty hefty, but wouldn't be if you were a frequent trader, the easiest answer is to get to the $100k quickly and then you don't need to worry about the fees.

You need to work out which suits you best really.

It's a tricky one, and depends on your situation. With TD or Firstrade, once you have them set up and initially funded, there are no further activity/inactivity fees, so your issue is how often are you going to be transferring funds.

The IB inactivity fee at $120 per year is pretty hefty, but wouldn't be if you were a frequent trader, the easiest answer is to get to the $100k quickly and then you don't need to worry about the fees.

You need to work out which suits you best really.

Getting to the $100k suits me best :-) So anyway it turns out I cannot open an account with Firstrade as I live in Portugal, I also cannot seem to open a USD account here and it’s too much hassle to go home to open one (and fees are too high). I think I will just go with IB. After I invest the initial lump sum I would like to invest smaller amounts once or twice a year so I think it should suit. Although their interface makes my heart sink, so complicated and old school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have the same issue with handling cash from dividends or trades. My plan had also been to open a Firstrade account to trade US ETFs however I have realized that I cannot open a cash management account with them as I live outside the US.  I had thought I could use a Transferwise Borderless US account but they do not accept transfers from brokerages. 
    I don't think there would necessarily be an issue receiving money from a brokerage INTO a TransferWise Borderless account. The restriction TransferWise have regarding brokerage accounts is that you can't fund a transfer from a brokerage account, i.e. if you DON'T have the Borderless account, you can't send through TransferWise from a brokerage account. This is a general rule that they have with regard to funding from third party sources, as a brokerage account transfer appears to come from an account in the name of your brokerage, not you. It does not however apply to Borderless account holders- as they CAN have money paid in from third parties (that's the whole point of the borderless account).
    You can't open a US bank account, to the best of my knowledge, without flying there. If you physically go there, I believe it is possible, you might have to ask in more than one place but you should be able to do it, with your Irish address and any small amount of money.

The issue with sending from TransferWise to brokers is the third party thing again, most brokers will reject it because it doesn't appear like it is coming from you but from a third party (Transferwise). HOWEVER I have found one broker, DriveWealth (www.drivewealth.com) who DO, explicitly, allow funding through TransferWise. They have an app and a website, you can buy all the regular US ETFs from Vanguard, Schwab, SPDR, iShares, etc. And anything else on the US market, that is above some minimum (they don't do penny stocks). Downside: these guys are really really small. But they do seem to be FINRA registered and covered by SIPC insurance, so I think they are OK (I hope so). $2.99 per trade, no minimums.

It is not possible to make a transfer from TransferWise INTO Interactive Brokers, and I know that having tried it. It's rejected on the TransferWise end. They have the IB account number blacklisted. But I think IB would reject it anyway as a third party transfer. I asked IB about this, and they were not sure. They did say "third party" would be blocked. So I decided to try, but it was blocked TW end. I THINK TW have this restricted because of that reason, that IB would just reject it.

It's not possible to TW into Schwab either, I asked and they said no. Third party.

Apart from DriveWealth IB I think is a very good option. Particularly if you are funding from EUR as you can send it to them as a SEPA transaction and IB have the cheapest currency conversion you can possibly get as a retail investor, they give you the midmarket rate and charge a tiny, tiny commission on it, literally thousandths of 1%, I think their minimum on it is $2 and that will cover a transaction up to $200,000 sort of level. Yes there is a minimum commission of $10 a month with accounts under $100k but you would easily save that on the currency conversion which is virtually free. They also give you one free wire out per month, something other brokers typically charge $25-50 for.

Any sort of volume and definitely IB I think. Just from the currency conversion point of view. For really small amounts, DriveWealth might be better- but IB will be better currency conversion than TransferWise, you'll lose 0.5% EUR-USD with TransferWise. A lot better than a bank for sure, but IB will be much much cheaper than even that.

blorg wrote: »
    I don't think there would necessarily be an issue receiving money from a brokerage INTO a TransferWise Borderless account. The restriction TransferWise have regarding brokerage accounts is that you can't fund a transfer from a brokerage account, i.e. if you DON'T have the Borderless account, you can't send through TransferWise from a brokerage account. This is a general rule that they have with regard to funding from third party sources, as a brokerage account transfer appears to come from an account in the name of your brokerage, not you. It does not however apply to Borderless account holders- as they CAN have money paid in from third parties (that's the whole point of the borderless account).

Thanks so much for the long detailed reply, appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Linkstr

Hey !
    I would like to buy some ETFs, unfortunately I do not have the 10k$ required to open an account with IB (actually I have them on my Degiro account, but I don't want to seel everything to buy on the IB account).
    So I've opened an account with Firstrade, but I'm really concerned about the transfer and the currency conversion fees... I would like to transfer 4$k soon but I don't want to loose too much money - does anyone have any experience with them ?

Advertisement