Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 Best Players in the Premier League

• 22-12-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

So as definitively and objectively as you can probably get, these are, in order, according to 169 former players and journalists, the best 10 players in the league right now based on performance in 2017:

1. De Bruyne
    2. Kane
    3. Hazard
    4. Kante
    5. Aguero
    6. Salah
    7. De Gea
    8. Coutinho
    9. Eriksen
    10. Pogba

Hard to argue too much with that list, particularly with number 1 spot, but I'm sure many of you will have gripes with it so let the griping commence.

Silva you would imagine should have been worthy of a spot, and Sanchez, when playing his best, is well capable of breaking in.

Who would be in your top 10? What will the top 10 look like next year?

(Feel free to discuss the rest of the list, just throwing the Prem players out there as it's what most of us consistently watch)

Comments

• I'd swap Ozil for Ericson and not sure about the order
    Why Kane so high?
    And no sign of Matic?

Also seems like alot of this based on the 2017/2018 season so far or for the full calender year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd probably have ddg in the top 3 . He has very strong claims to be the best in his position in the world. I'd also have azpilicueta or alderwereld in ahead of eriksen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hazard is too high as based on THIS season but if it's the year I suppose fair enough. Silva really should have a spot but like Firmino who came in at 104 (on teh graun list) he is a player people tend to overlook if not a supporter of the team in question. Whereas everyone knows Pogba whether he deserves the spot or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

If you're talking right now Sterling instead of Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Pogba ahead of Silva?

I'd have put Toby Alder in there also

• Advertisement

• What does that even mean, everyone knows him? I'd suspect you include players because of their performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd swap Ozil for Ericson and not sure about the order
    Why Kane so high?
    And no sign of Matic?

Also seems like alot of this based on the 2017/2018 season so far or for the full calender year?

It's supposed to be the calendar year, 2017. Maybe the last few months are fresher in their heads when ranking, but you've got Dele Alli very high in the list to be fair and he's had a bit of a stinker of a campaign so far.

Matic made it into the top 100 and would have been 24th in the Premier League if I had gone down that far.

Kane had a superb year to be fair. I would have ranked Hazard above him in 2nd for sure, but it's hard to argue against him being outside the top 5 or so, just scored so many goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Dunno what Pogba has done to get in that list. And this is as a man u fan.

• It reads more like this season as opposed to this year for some players definitely.

• Owryan wrote: »
    Dunno what Pogba has done to get in that list. And this is as a man u fan.

He's had an excellent calender year. But no point trying to discuss anything logical when it comes to him tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'd probably have ddg in the top 3 . He has very strong claims to be the best in his position in the world. I'd also have azpilicueta or alderwereld in ahead of eriksen.

He is the best GK in the world right now imo. Rightly recognised in the top 10 here. Top 3? Probably not for me. But top 5, perhaps. Looks like he's only getting better so will be interesting to see where he night end up next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

DDG the big omission here.

Edit, idiot

DDG the big omission here.

I think you need to re-read it.

I think you need to re-read it.

Yup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Salah cant be right in terms of Premier League. Half his figure would be from Italy.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Salah cant be right in terms of Premier League. Half his figure would be from Italy.

He's still a premier league player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's had an excellent calender year. But no point trying to discuss anything logical when it comes to him tho.

Pogba does nice things and is a talent.
    Pogba does sh'it things too and I dislike him for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No sign of kante either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No sign of kante either

Jaysus

We know what to get Donnie & Brian for Christmas :P

Jaysus

We know what to get Donnie & Brian for Christmas :P

Can't believe KDB didn't make it

• Advertisement

I'm almost certain its the best players in world football that happen to play in the premier league . So time spent in other leagues would be relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

De bruyne
    Silva
    Pogba
    Aguero
    Salah
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Eriksen
    Hazard
    Ddg
    Kane

De bruyne
    Silva
    Pogba
    Aguero
    Salah
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Eriksen
    Hazard
    Ddg
    Kane

Kane is close to breaking a goalscoring record in a calender year yet is somehow behind Firmino? What? haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

De bruyne
    Silva
    Pogba
    Aguero
    Salah
    Coutinho
    Firmino
    Eriksen
    Hazard
    Ddg
    Kane

3 Liverpool players in the top 10. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're a Liverpool fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

1. De Bruyne
    2. Kane
    3. Hazard
    4. Kante
    5. Sterling (on current form)
    6. Salah
    7. De Gea
    8. Tarkowski
    9. Eriksen
    10. Ozil

Was thinking of putting Zaha in instead of Ozil given his performances for Palace over the last while but decided to stick with Ozil. Wouldn't have Coutinho in there myself, great for the odd bit of magic but I'd take Salah over him every time. Went for Steling over Sergio. Think Tarkowski has been outstanding for Burnley so far this season. Defender of the season so far for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Berserker wrote: »
    1. De Bruyne
    2. Kane
    3. Hazard
    4. Kante
    5. Sterling (on current form)
    6. Salah
    7. De Gea
    8. Tarkowski
    9. Eriksen
    10. Ozil

Was thinking of putting Zaha in instead of Ozil given his performances for Palace over the last while but decided to stick with Ozil. Wouldn't have Coutinho in there myself, great for the odd bit of magic but I'd take Salah over him every time. Went for Steling over Sergio. Think Tarkowski has been outstanding for Burnley so far this season. Defender of the season so far for me.

So lets see you'd have Zaha in but Coutinho with 13 goals and 7 assists this calender year in the league doesn't make it? I know one plays for Liverpool but I think I know who anyone would have in their team first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I have no idea how David Silva isn't making most of these lists. Miles better than Coutinho, Eriksen, whoever. For me, even better than de Bruyne.

So lets see you'd have Zaha in but Coutinho with 13 goals and 7 assists this calender year in the league doesn't make it? I know one plays for Liverpool but I think I know who anyone would have in their team first.

Zaha is playing in a struggling Palace side and he is a game winner for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Aguero way too high not even guaranteed a spot on City's first 11. Past his best despite his stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Would have matic, fernandinho and definitely silva in there ahead of pogba

Coutinho doesnt show up for the big games either, looks magic against bournemouth and Newcastle alright

Edit: hel definitely destroy arsenal tonight and score a couple of goals now wont he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

1 kdb

2 ddg

3 harry kane

4 mo salah

5 david silva

6 hazard

7 kante

8 aguero

9 courtois

10 coutinho

tastyt wrote: »
    Would have matic, fernandinho and definitely silva in there ahead of pogba

Coutinho doesnt show up for the big games either, looks magic against bournemouth and Newcastle alright

Edit: hel definitely destroy arsenal tonight and score a couple of goals now wont he
    Coutinho has 42 goals for Liverpool .16 of those have come in games against city,utd,arsenal, Everton and spurs. He has scored more goals against city 5 than against any other team. I think its fair to say he does show up in the big games .

I have no idea how David Silva isn't making most of these lists. Miles better than Coutinho, Eriksen, whoever. For me, even better than de Bruyne.

Because City fans are completely outnumbered perhaps. The best of lists always get dominated by fanboys squabbling over their own precious players.

Silva should definitely be included when talking about the current best in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

MD1990 wrote: »
    Aguero way too high not even guaranteed a spot on City's first 11. Past his best despite his stats.

So even though he scores a ton of goals he's not good enough????

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Coutinho has 42 goals for Liverpool .16 of those have come in games against city,utd,arsenal, Everton and spurs. He has scored more goals against city 5 than against any other team. I think its fair to say he does show up in the big games .

Get out of here with your facts and figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The best players right now imo would be:

1. De Bruyne
    2. Kane
    3. Salah
    4. Hazard
    5. Aguero
    6. De Gea
    7. David Silva
    8. Pogba
    9. Coutinho
    10. Sane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dele Alli> Pogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Because City fans are completely outnumbered perhaps. The best of lists always get dominated by fanboys squabbling over their own precious players.

Silva should definitely be included when talking about the current best in the league.
    Spot on. Watch any poll on SSN re. PL teams/players/managers etc etc and I can guarantee you Arsenal, Liverpool and utd will be in the top positions, regardless of whether they're worthy of being there or not. A large proportion of fans are biased, simple as that. We all look at our own clubs through rose coloured glasses (I certainlyu do). That's why these fans' polls are fairly meaningless. The clubs with the largest fanbase will invariably come out on top. C'est la vie, as we say in Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

None of ye are close. It is...

1. De Bruyne
    2. D Silva
    3. Sane
    4. Jesus
    5. Aguero
    6. Sterling
    7. Walker
    8. Stones
    9. Eddy
    10. Kompany

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Dele Alli> Pogba

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

None of ye are close. It is...

1. De Bruyne
    2. D Silva
    3. Sane
    4. Jesus
    5. Aguero
    6. Sterling
    7. Walker
    8. Stones
    9. Eddy
    10. Kompany
    I like you. You can come around my house and fu, er, say hello to my sister!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Whatever about ten players, I am surprised that one of the few players that can genuinely claim to be the best player in his position in the entire world is not considered the best player in the Premier league.

If the criteria was players who are considered to be truly world class then there are a few players on that list who wouldn't make the grade, yet one that can seems to be there as an afterthought.

Goalkeepers never get enough credit.

Ditto for defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Whatever about ten players, I am surprised that one of the few players that can genuinely claim to be the best player in his position in the entire world is not considered the best player in the Premier league.

If the criteria was players who are considered to be truly world class then there are a few players on that list who wouldn't make the grade, yet one that can seems to be there as an afterthought.

Always amazes me the lack of credit they get.

Ederson is Man City's most important signing in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pogba? No way

no David Silva? that's mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

No defenders on the list is silly. Azpilicueta should be there imo, instead of Eriksen probably. And I'd agree Silva over Pogs.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    No defenders on the list is silly. Azpilicueta should be there imo, instead of Eriksen probably. And I'd agree Silva over Pogs.

I put Tarkowski in mine. He has been outstanding all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

We're in a lull in terms of the quality of defenders.

A far cry from Terry, Rio, vidic, carvalho etc in the league.

Now the defence is all the top teams worst area by a mile. With the exception of maybe spurs , tho even their full backs aren't great .

All the top teams are dodgy at the back now. And that's right across the world.

Real have it sorted the most and have dominated the champions league...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

We're in a lull in terms of the quality of defenders.

A far cry from Terry, Rio, vidic, carvalho etc in the league.

Now the defence is all the top teams worst area by a mile. With the exception of maybe spurs , tho even their full backs aren't great .

All the top teams are dodgy at the back now. And that's right across the world.

Real have it sorted the most and have dominated the champions league...

Nah it's more a style issue. So many attack minded managers in the league that goals scored is naturally going to increase. Less defensive cover= more conceded, not the defenders fault they're more exposed.

Also you clearly haven't seen much of Real this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

In no order:

De Gea
    De Bruyne
    Hazard
    Kane
    Coutinho
    Salah
    Mane
    Sanchez
    Pogba
    Aguero

I find it hilarious to see how underrated Pogba is with many people on these forums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement