Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avantcard DD payment not received by Avantcard but asking me to pay again??

Options
  • 22-12-2017 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi Folks,

I have a monthly direct debit set up to pay my Avantcard minimum balance the day after I am paid i.e there is money to cover it. It has been working away no problem for ages but all of a sudden the most recent payment has not been received by Avantcard even though my bank account shows it as paid out on the 24th Nov '17 and not rejected. I have also been charged a late payment fee.

I received a call today from them today (possibly their late payments team though they did not state that), asking about it. I explained that I could see on my bank account that it has been paid out the 24th Nov '17 and not rejected, so as far as I am concerned, it has been paid. They even asked me to pay the DD again and they would then refund the late payment fee which I didn't as it's Christmas and I need the money.

Nothing has changed from my end in terms of the DD details so it seems to be on Avantcards end, something they have decided to now check. When asked if they would refund the late payment fee if they found the issue was on their end, I was told that I would have to request this which is unbelievable... it should be done automatically.

Has anyone else had a similar problem to this and know why??

Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

At the end of the day you are responsible for ensuring the payment arrives on time. It does not matter that the money has left your account or not, if it has not reached their account on time it is your responsibility. Furthermore, your bank has a number of hours or even days depending on the terms of your account to process the payment through the system, so to ensure that it arrives on time you need to make the payment a few days earlier than the final date.

Have you confirmed with your bank when the transaction was actually completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

markpokane wrote: »
    my bank account shows it as paid out on the 24th Nov '17 and not rejected. I have also been charged a late payment fee.

What was the date your bill was due?

Have you the reference number in the DD your card number, or your account number?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 markpokane

Jim2007 wrote: »
    At the end of the day you are responsible for ensuring the payment arrives on time. It does not matter that the money has left your account or not, if it has not reached their account on time it is your responsibility. Furthermore, your bank has a number of hours or even days depending on the terms of your account to process the payment through the system, so to ensure that it arrives on time you need to make the payment a few days earlier than the final date.

Have you confirmed with your bank when the transaction was actually completed?

Hi Jim2007,

Thanks for the feedback.

You are correct it is my responsibility and that is why I set up a monthly Standing Order (I was wrong in stating it was a DD) to ensure it was paid on time each month and up until Nov, it had been successful every time.
    I have indeed checked with my bank and they confirmed that the transaction has been completed as far as they are concerned.

By the way... this is over a month since the payment went out so any rejection would have happened way before this. It is because of this, I firmly believe that the issue is on the Avantcard side. They have changed something on their side which resulted in the payment going awry and they then have the nerve to ask me to pay again because of something on their side.

Hence you can see I am a bit ticked off. If I was someone who misses payments all the time or was regularly late, I could understand them calling me but this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Anyway.... let's see what happens.

Davy wrote: »
    What was the date your bill was due?

Have you the reference number in the DD your card number, or your account number?

Hi Davy,

It is due the 10th of each month and I pay it via Standing Order on the 24th of the month before hand so it goes in well before it is due.

The Standing Order has been in place and working for over 2/3 years at this stage so the correct details have been added to it.

Regards,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

markpokane wrote: »
    Hi Jim2007,

Thanks for the feedback.

You are correct it is my responsibility and that is why I set up a monthly Standing Order (I was wrong in stating it was a DD) to ensure it was paid on time each month and up until Nov, it had been successful every time.
    I have indeed checked with my bank and they confirmed that the transaction has been completed as far as they are concerned.

By the way... this is over a month since the payment went out so any rejection would have happened way before this. It is because of this, I firmly believe that the issue is on the Avantcard side. They have changed something on their side which resulted in the payment going awry and they then have the nerve to ask me to pay again because of something on their side.

Hence you can see I am a bit ticked off. If I was someone who misses payments all the time or was regularly late, I could understand them calling me but this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Anyway.... let's see what happens.

Ask your bank for a letter stating that X amount of money left your account on date X and was sent to account X with reference X.
    I had a similar problem with Virgin a ywar ago, where they were threatening to disconnect me. Only a letter from my bank stating that the money had left my account and was indeed paid into theirs got them to back off and they then magically "found" the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You might want to check if the account details you send the money too are the correct ones as Avantcard recently changed them.

They use Citibank: IE90CITI99005117683012

You also might want to check that you are using the credit card account number which begins with 245 rather than your credit card number. Until recently they did manage to credit money even if it was the credit card number used rather than the account, but that seams to have stopped.

If all of those details are correct, than you will need to ask your bank to put a trace on the payment or if the details are incorrect you will need to work with your bank to get your money back.

Ask your bank for a letter stating that X amount of money left your account on date X and was sent to account X with reference X.
    I had a similar problem with Virgin a ywar ago, where they were threatening to disconnect me. Only a letter from my bank stating that the money had left my account and was indeed paid into theirs got them to back off and they then magically "found" the money.
    Thanks Cheshire Cat. I will do that.

Thanks Yggr of Asgard. I was not aware nor was I made aware that they had recently changed their bank details. My Standing Order has been set up for a few years now.

I'll follow up with the bank and will update my details to the correct ones for the future SO.

Regards,
    Mark

Advertisement