Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this shifter goosed??

Options
  • 22-12-2017 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭

Folks
    See video at the link below. Shifter doesn't retract after being clicked.
    I've flushed it out with GT85
    It clicks 9 times each way (but when shifting 'up' to lower gears it doesn't retract. Shifting down is fine.

Anyone know if it can be fixed and if so how? Can't find the right video on youtube that would explain how to fix but I might not be searching correctly either.

Thanks

(i need a bike for the Christmas :-( )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

Maybe there's something physically stuck in the ratchet. Next logical step would be to google a disassembly diagram and open it up. Only one way to find out....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of spring assembly is used to return it to position?
    they're usually quite complex inside and not easily serviceable AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

what sort of spring assembly is used to return it to position?
    they're usually quite complex inside and not easily serviceable AFAIK.

I don’t think that shimano shifters can be disassembled or internal Parts replaced unfortunately

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had something similar happen to a Veloce shifter a couple of years back. Turned out to be a frayed strand on the cable inside the shifter which came out when I replaced the cable. Maybe try a different cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

smacl wrote: »
    Had something similar happen to a Veloce shifter a couple of years back. Turned out to be a frayed strand on the cable inside the shifter which came out when I replaced the cable. Maybe try a different cable.

It's likely to be this, but if it's not, then it's probably goosed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks folks
    It's goosed I think. I'll be able to get my hands on another shifter that'll do me for a while and I'll get the local mechanic to have a look at it and see can it be fixed

You need a new bike...

One more thing - the inner lever (for releasing the cable) may be bent, and fouling on the main shift lever. Bend it back slightly to see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

Type 17 wrote: »
    You need a new bike...

I do. I knew that before this broke on me though
    :):):)

Advertisement