Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council swap Dublin to galway athenry loughrea or city center

Options
  • 22-12-2017 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Council swap Dublin to galway prefarably cluid as county swaps DO NOT be allowed for some reason by Galway council they stopped doing it since 2001!😩 We have a three bed 1 bath huge double room and central heating medium sized room in the back and a box room, big back garden and huge front drive way big enough for an extension if u wanted to extend out the back, we have great neighbours and a lovely community, I want to return to the country as o have lived there before and prefare country life dart runs out here and buses to shopping centres and via city center! Really it's a little small dream home we put a lot of work in it but feel it's time to move on!
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

wha???

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emily338

What you mean what??������

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Say somebody in Galway is interested, how are you going to guarantee that they can swop for your council house in Dublin, if Galway CC no longer support this?

By cluid council they allow swaps anywhere in Ireland I'd be lucky to get it. Honestly after the new year I'm thinking of purchasing a house in Galway athenry or around the city center, it's just too hard, to find a council swap, id be better off! Cheers for the post :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Not a political issuem ill transfer to Accommodation and Property and the mods there may reopen it if its suitable. If they do reopen the thread, please read their charter before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Thread reopened.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- you can't simply swap council property between councils- it depends on the local authority- however, normal practice is you have to relinquish your property to the local authority who assign it to the next person on the list- you don't get to choose a new tenant for it. Different local authorities implement this more or less strictly. With respect of Clúid housing tenancies- you have to approach Clúid- and have them add you to the list for swaps. They don't guarantee that even if you find a swap that it will be acceptable- however, they will facilitate you in trying to make a match- and have a website for this specific purpose here: https://www.cluid.ie/cluid-tenants/information/property-swap/

If you are in a position to buy a property that is your best bet.
    As for a swap in Galway city centre- not a snowballs chance in hell- I don't know if you've been looking at available housing in Galway city centre- vacancies are like hens teeth- availability is extremely rare- if you were to lookout the city centre (think Renmore etc) you might have a better chance- but the city centre is just a completely pie-in-the-sky idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

emily338 wrote:
    By cluid council they allow swaps anywhere in Ireland I'd be lucky to get it. Honestly after the new year I'm thinking of purchasing a house in Galway athenry or around the city center, it's just too hard, to find a council swap, id be better off! Cheers for the post

If you are in a position to purchase House then why do you want to get a council house when there is such a shortage of social housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

emily338 wrote: »
    Honestly after the new year I'm thinking of purchasing a house in Galway athenry or around the city center, it's just too hard, to find a council swap, id be better off!
    I second the post above. This is baffling. If you can afford to buy a house why do you have council housing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

mad m wrote: »
    A Dublin City Council spokeswoman confirmed to us that swaps are permissible as long as tenants agree to a strict set of criteria. She told the Irish Sun: “Tenants from within the same or different local authorities may apply for inter-transfers and this allows greater movement and choice between existing tenants.
    “Both parties must apply to and be approved by the local authority and the Local authority will consider the following:
    “Be a tenant for a minimum of 2 years; Have a clear rent account; Have maintained your existing dwelling in good condition; “Estate management; Accommodation must meet the needs of both households.”
    Seems reasonable enough on one level I suppose. It does seem strange to the rest of us though, that council tenants are effectively bargaining with each other, exchanging public property, and who knows what sweeteners might be offered under the table as part of a retirement package downgrade for "empty nesters" in possession of a large property?

Over in London they will never know the identity of all the victims in the Grenfell Tower tragedy because so many of the flats were sub-let by the "registered tenants" to other people. Many of the registered tenants were living in better private accomodation elsewhere, while the flats were being rented out to illegal immigrants. Different situation I know, but it shows what can happen when the the council does not maintain strict/direct control.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Someone living in a council house that could buy their own house is gross.
    Its a slap in the face to the majority of people breaking their bollox to keep their heads above water

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

April 73 wrote: »
    I second the post above. This is baffling. If you can afford to buy a house why do you have council housing?

People get allocated council housing when they are poor.

But its a home-for-life or as long as you want it, not just for as long as you're poor.

So there are plenty of council tenants who could afford to buy. But if the council house still suits them, why would they bother. Rent is income based - but with caps that are well below market rent except in very cheap areas.

The system is rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Rent is income based - but with caps that are well below market rent except in very cheap areas.

The system is rotten.

Very true and some have others in dwellings who are not down on rent book.

Advertisement