Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packing it in

Options
  • 22-12-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭

Made the conscious descision this morning to pack in my current job. Ive woke up too many mornings (around 3:30am) questioning what im doing here, ive been thinking about it for a long time. I know the nature of the job and dont mind the early starts once i get some satisfaction from it but in reality, i must be the only lad from my year in school who is in bed at 8pm most nights in the height of summer (dairying in NZ) and working weekends after rent power and internet im taking home €420 a week with a high cost of living here too. I came for the experience and got a good experience here. I also was having problems dealing with an eastern european co-worker which was brought up and my employers said then that they didnt want me leaving because of that.
    At my recent review they praised me to the highrst for how i handling machinery, livestock and the other staff here.
    Theyll be sorry to see me go i think, i have a good relationship with the bossman and his wife and family and i dont know how to hand in my notice to them. It would be a lot easier hand it in to a corporation where your only a number nut im more than that on the farm and labour is short in the area, altough were headed for the quiete time now i dont want to see them stuck but i dont want to stick at this when my heart isnt in it anymore, have ye any advice on how to approach the situation. Im away for a weeks holidays and will wait to hand in my notice after that
    Thanks in advance

Better living everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Made the conscious descision this morning to pack in my current job. Ive woke up too many mornings (around 3:30am) questioning what im doing here, ive been thinking about it for a long time. I know the nature of the job and dont mind the early starts once i get some satisfaction from it but in reality, i must be the only lad from my year in school who is in bed at 8pm most nights in the height of summer (dairying in NZ) and working weekends after rent power and internet im taking home €420 a week with a high cost of living here too. I came for the experience and got a good experience here. I also was having problems dealing with an eastern european co-worker which was brought up and my employers said then that they didnt want me leaving because of that.
    At my recent review they praised me to the highrst for how i handling machinery, livestock and the other staff here.
    Theyll be sorry to see me go i think, i have a good relationship with the bossman and his wife and family and i dont know how to hand in my notice to them. It would be a lot easier hand it in to a corporation where your only a number nut im more than that on the farm and labour is short in the area, altough were headed for the quiete time now i dont want to see them stuck but i dont want to stick at this when my heart isnt in it anymore, have ye any advice on how to approach the situation. Im away for a weeks holidays and will wait to hand in my notice after that
    Thanks in advance

The very best thing you could do is give them as much notice as possible. After that, just thank them and leave. It's a job - you work, they pay. Nobody owes anybody anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

The very best thing you could do is give them as much notice as possible. After that, just thank them and leave. It's a job - you work, they pay. Nobody owes anybody anything.

Contract says 2 weeks i dont reckon its enough though?

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's what they would expect and if you don't want any hassle and you want a reference then give them the two weeks notice. However, if they've been good to you and you'd like to be as fair as possible in return, then give them all the notice you can.

But this is business. You must suit yourself too. They are business people so they will understand. Don't worry. They'll probably be very understanding and if they aren't then they aren't worth worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah similarly had 2 weeks in the contract. Felt it was too short. Had a chat with the boss and ended up giving them just over 3 and agreed I'd use no holidays once I got paid for them.

When serving notice your heart is never in it so don't give too long either.

Never burn your bridges.

Any suggestions how to approach the situation?

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Sit one on one with the boss.

Don't go deep on the reasons.

Let him/her know that you are leaving and have put plenty of thought into it.

Thank them for the opportunity and great experience.

Let them do most of the talking.

People leave jobs every day of the week. It can be done politely and professionally.

Happy with your next move before you walk? 2 weeks isn't long to sort out much

scanlone wrote: »
    Sit one on one with the boss.

Don't go deep on the reasons.

Let him/her know that you are leaving and have put plenty of thought into it.

Thank them for the opportunity and great experience.

Let them do most of the talking.

People leave jobs every day of the week. It can be done politely and professionally.

Happy with your next move before you walk? 2 weeks isn't long to sort out much

Looking at moving to the city have friends and contacts there

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Your employer would have no qualms giving you only two weeks were the positions reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Because it is going to be an awkward situation, and it sounds like you will be dreading it, I would suggest having a signed letter pre-written. At least then you can revise it, get it clear and use it during the difficult discussion.

Keep the letter positive, thanking the boss and his wife for being so good to you, note that you have got some valuable experience, but it is time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you asked for a raise???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Have you brought up the idea of a pay raise?

If you're a good worker and earn the family lots of extra profit, you should share in the fruits of your labour. They have loved your performance to date.

E.g. if they computed that your departure would cost them $500 a week, they could pay you an extra $100 per week.

In terms of the dispute with your co-worker... It's always tricky. Some people are just plain difficult and always will be

Regards wages if they offered a sizeable lump sum, id still turn it down. Salary was to be reviewed around now anyway. The works not physically tough in my opinion, but mentally im burnt out, ive not done any more physically demanding jobs this week but ive never been sore or as stiff before in my life . Heading on holidays next week and i dont know whether or not to say it before or after. Had a few beers christmas eve with himself and 2 other workers and had breakfast with him and his family christmas morning. In a way i nearly regret not saying anything at the recent assesment as there was an outside party there too, however it would be in there interests to keep me here too. Hes had a bad run with irish workers over the years too, but they all stayed for the full season. And hes the sort of lad who'd like to see me keep going along this career path and keep progressing but im leaving it for a few years as it is, i dont want him to think he turned me off farming either

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

As you seem to have more than an employer/employee relationship maybe offer notice but stay until your replacement is hired and trained up?
    Always good to have a very favorable referee going forward.

But you are right to give it up if it is causing you such distress.

Just in the door from it now. Really proved how sound a man he is to be fair. Im off on holidays next week well sit down after that, wants me to stay on but doesnt want a lad in a place where hes not happy either. Told him i won't see him stuck as best as i can

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21 yellowcanary

Carrolsno1 - well done on making that decision. It's important to feel happy in the work that you do and it sounds like you delt with the situation very well and were considerate to your employer.

The next few weeks will be important to you to reflect on what skills you have and what skills you would like to be using in your next position. What are your ideal working conditions and what conditions are acceptable for you?

Reach out to your contact there and they might know someone who is looking for staff.
    Best of luck!

Advertisement