Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum's Irish Player of the Year 2017

• 23-12-2017 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

This award was introduced last year and then the choice of Irish Player of the Year as voted by the forum went to Daryl Horgan.

In stark contrast to the positivity that surrounded the end of 2016, it's fair to say 2017 will go down as a year to forget. Of the 11 games played in 2017, Ireland won 3, drew 4 and lost 4, the final result being the humiliating 5-1 loss at home to Denmark. The status of the management is unclear but it would appear they are staying on.

2018 will feature the World Cup in Russia and Ireland will have to watch from the sidelines, but late January 2018 will see the draw for the UEFA Nations League B which will involve ourselves, while Dublin will host the UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying draw in December 2018. It would seem then that next year is all about looking to the future so why don't we end 2017 on a positive note by celebrating who we feel has been our best player.

I've created a poll of players I think are the most likely contenders for the award (I'll add it in a moment). Here are some contenders that stood out in my mind:

Darren Randolph - Continued to keep hold of the number one jersey, and despite the setback of losing his place at West Ham resulting in a move to Middlesbrough, he has shown good form for the national side; he made an important save in the win away to Wales and was one of the few players to emerge from the Denmark tie with credit.

Cyrus Christie - Had to step in to fill the big shoes of Seamus Coleman after the latter's terrible injury and generally acquitted himself well, providing an assist in the 1-1 draw with Georgia and coming closest to an Ireland goal in the first leg against Denmark. He did come in for a lot of flak following the second leg, however (some of it sadly racially abusive).

Shane Duffy - Generally had a strong campaign and gave an excellent performance in the away win against Wales, whilst also scoring a crucial goal in the 1-1 qualifier with Georgia. He also got the opener against Denmark in the Dublin game before the match eventually went terribly wrong.

Patrick McEleney - Produced a highlight reel of exceptional goals for Dundalk that made him resemble the League of Ireland's answer to Matt Le Tissier. Transfer rumours have linked him with a move to MLS on the back of his impressive season.

James McClean - Finished Ireland's qualifying campaign as the team's top scorer, which included firing home a memorable winner against Wales. His enthusiasm could never be questioned as evidenced by his tears in the post-match interview after the Denmark defeat.

Sean Maguire - His goals helped Cork City amass a formidable lead at the top of the League of Ireland which they would maintain, and he bagged a memorable hat-trick against Dundalk. Earned himself a move to Preston where he has scored goals, plus won a cap for the national side.

Daryl Murphy - Scored two decisive goals in the 2-0 win over Moldova and worked hard for the team. Has done well at club level, managing seven goals for Forest in the Championship so far this season.

Feel free to mention someone you think has been overlooked. It was tougher to think of names this year compared to last year. I considered mentioning Ward who has done well with Burnley but I thought his performance against Denmark in the second-leg was so bad he'd struggle to get any votes. Considered Hendrick as well who provided the key assist for McClean vs Wales but I thought he declined slightly for Ireland from last year and didn't think he stood out much. Meyler had his moments but don't think he featured enough.

Which player for you has been the standout Irish player of 2017?

Soccer Forum's Irish Player of the Year 2017 127 votes

Darren Randolph
    0%
    Cyrus Christie
    14%
    DoctorEdgeWildChardee MacDennisWisesmurfJohnerJamBurhappyoutscanduffman13flasWashington IrvingmartineatworldOmackeralRoyal Legendjohn whyAgent CoulsonLeeJMRainMakerToo[Deleted User]Greybottle 18 votes
    Shane Duffy
    0%
    12gauge dave 1 vote
    Patrick McEleney
    26%
    Bounty Huntersuper_furryMr.Nice Guyelefant[Deleted User]GLaDOSLuckyLloyd[Deleted User]tvercettibeertonsJohann.Frankie LeeRekop dogHangballlouieMagicIRLSkylineheadmajor billmassdebaterPudsy33brilou23 34 votes
    James McClean
    0%
    Sean Maguire
    25%
    mikeym[Deleted User]davycc[Deleted User]redarmynoodlershano_88Diabhal BeagThunbergsAreGodoncarlosCaptain HavocweldoninhioBOHtoxCSFrgaceThe Floyd pBenimarCopper_pipeJayopOfficer999 33 votes
    Daryl Murphy
    32%
    homerjay2005Vex Willems[Deleted User]billymitchellfarna_boyMushyredzerdrogdfx-sugarmanAmiranicorcaigh07justshaneeagle eyeMr. GuappaHalloweenJackjohnnyryan89SM01Hammer ArcherUnleashTheBeastSirsok 41 votes
    Other (specify)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Daryl Murphy
    Voted for Seani Maguire. Essentially won the league with Cork (and LoI top goalscorer) by mid July before moving to Preston and has hit the ground running in the championship, Preston fans seemed to be very impressed with him and he has won multiple man of the match awards in his first few months, getting his first senior cap in the process. Unfortunately suffered a bad injury which meant he had no part to play in the playoff v Denmark and is out for a few months now, but what a year it was for him.

If we are going off performances for the national team I would probably say Shane Duffy, who has also had a good year at Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Daryl Murphy
    Sean Maguire cos he had a great club year and has settled in well at Preston. To make his debut too is great.

Other choice is McLean, but he did nothing at club level (obviously playing at higher level).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Daryl Murphy
    Yeah it's gotta be Sean Maguire for me too. Great season with Cork and proving it at a higher level now. Love to see him get a real shot with the Irish team soon. I think we should be looking to build around him, he is only 23 and looks like he is going to make it right to the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Patrick McEleney
    Duffy for me. Been one of the best defenders so far this season at the highest level in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sean Maguire
    Has got to be McClean, predominantly for his work in a green jersey, and we're not exactly packed full of players performing at an elite level in the Premier League to compete with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Daryl Murphy
    Maguire edges it over McClean for me.

He had a massive impact on the domestic game and worked his way into the national side.

McClean was the best of a bad bunch for the national side, imo.

Sean Maguire
    Maguire edges it over McClean for me.

He had a massive impact on the domestic game and worked his way into the national side.

McClean was the best of a bad bunch for the national side, imo.
    I think it is difficult to ignore the massive gap in quality between the level Maguire excelled at, and the one he aspires to though.

Expect Maguire to win this as my fellow LOI fans typically love to overhype the player's leaving the league (Richie Towell is where now?) but I struggle to believe he was better than McClean this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Daryl Murphy
    Maguire for me. McClean wouldnt be far off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

No wes?

I'm out :pac:

Patrick McEleney
    Mcclean only scored in one competitive game for us in 2017 and has been hopeless for West Brom when selected.

Anything Maguire has done has been at a low level.

Neither deserve it.

• Advertisement

Daryl Murphy
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Mcclean only scored in one competitive game for us in 2017 and has been hopeless for West Brom when selected.

Anything Maguire has done has been at a low level.

Neither deserve it.

Who does then? Should we donate the award to charity or something? :pac:

Patrick McEleney
    Who does then? Should we donate the award to charity or something? :pac:

I already said Duffy. He's been largely excellent for Brighton this season.

I mean comparing LOI players to Premier league ones is ludicrous. It's like considering the top scorer from league 2 in contention for PFA player of the year.

Sean Maguire

I mean comparing LOI players to Premier league ones is ludicrous. It's like considering the top scorer from league 2 in contention for PFA player of the year.
    Duffy is definitely worth a mention, and I agree with your 2nd point. Maguire doesn't even belong in the poll, never mind joint leader.

Daryl Murphy

Ah well that's essentially ruling out all LOI players then, isn't it?

Seems harsh.

Sean Maguire

Seems harsh.
    Harsh but fair. You don't earn a place in the elite against the likes of Bohs and Finn Harps. I love the league as much as anyone but we need to be realistic about its standing in football.

We're currently in a place where the league can be a stepping stone towards something greater, which is a step up from previous decades where there was very little upward movement. But it is a whole new conversation again to be talking about players being capable of international football while playing in the league.

Patrick McEleney

I mean yeah. Have a separate LOI player award. They've no place in a poll with elite level players.

Daryl Murphy
    Fair enough but usually we've had a few players who have been outstanding in England. That's not really been the case this year.

So why not look beyond them?

Patrick McEleney
    Because even being average in the Premier league is far far superior to excelling in LOI

Daryl Murphy
    If that was true then scouts would be out of jobs. Lots of talented players exist in weaker leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sean Maguire
    Despite doing absolutely nothing in the premier league, even barely playing, I can't see past McClean.

Two massive away wins.

EDIT: OK, so actually only one of those was in 2017...

Maybe Duffy if we are basing it on premier league impact.

• Advertisement

Patrick McEleney
    If that was true then scouts would be out of jobs. Lots of talented players exist in weaker leagues.

I'm not saying its impossible but it's a rarity a LOI player advances on to Premier league level, less than 1 a year. So of course an average premier league player is better than the best in LOI. Considering the money involved and influx of all the best foreign players, making average at elite level is getting tougher and tougher.

And besides Duffy has been an above average defender in the prem so he definitely stands out in that bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Daryl Murphy
    Maguire excelled at whatever level he played at in the last 12 months. He excelled more at his level than what the others did at theirs.

Patrick McEleney
    Stephen Ward should be on that list ahead of all bar Duffy too.

Bad against Denmark but his club form has eclipsed the rest.

Daryl Murphy
    Because even being average in the Premier league is far far superior to excelling in LOI

By your logic anyone outside the EPL isn’t worth considering. Or someone at a club higher in the EPL is more worthy than someone in the relegation zone.

Patrick McEleney
    bot43 wrote: »
    By your logic anyone outside the EPL isn’t worth considering. Or someone at a club higher in the EPL is more worthy than someone in the relegation zone.

Perhaps if someone was truly smashing it in the Championship they'd be worth considering. Maguire has 4 goals 3 assists from a wide forward position which is decent but not great. He'd need to be doing a lot more than that to warrant inclusion in this argument from a much weaker league.

Daryl Murphy
    Perhaps if someone was truly smashing it in the Championship they'd be worth considering. Maguire has 4 goals 3 assists from a wide forward position which is decent but not great. He'd need to be doing a lot more than that to warrant inclusion in this argument from a much weaker league.

Indeed.

Sean Maguire
    Stephen Ward should be on that list ahead of all bar Duffy too.

Bad against Denmark but his club form has eclipsed the rest.

Ward is a very good shout in terms of consistent top level performances.

Daryl Murphy
    Maguire is doing it in the Championship now. He excelled in the league of Ireland last season and now he is playing very well for Preston.

I'd argue that right now he is as good as anybody on the Irish team. Seamus Coleman is our best player but he has been injured all year, we have a couple of other decent ones but this guy will be in the Premier league in the next 18 months because he will have earned the opportunity.

There is no player on the current Irish team who has excelled over the last 12 months. Maguire has excelled at a lower level and has moved up and continued to do very well. He is definitely deserving of a place on the poll and imo of winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Patrick McEleney
    I love Mcleans passion for the game and he gives everything when he's on the pitch but I had to vote for Duffy.

Duffy reminds me of Richard Dunne in that just defends for his life and clears everything.

• Advertisement

Patrick McEleney
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Maguire is doing it in the Championship now. He excelled in the league of Ireland last season and now he is playing very well for Preston.

I'd argue that right now he is as good as anybody on the Irish team. Seamus Coleman is our best player but he has been injured all year, we have a couple of other decent ones but this guy will be in the Premier league in the next 18 months because he will have earned the opportunity.

There is no player on the current Irish team who has excelled over the last 12 months. Maguire has excelled at a lower level and has moved up and continued to do very well. He is definitely deserving of a place on the poll and imo of winning it.

The difference in quality between the Championship and Prem is huge. Vast majority of championship players aren't good enough, the sides that come up and don't overhaul their squads usually suffer most.

Like even among the top scorers in the Championship last season Wood (27 goals) Gayle Murray Abraham (all 23), none of them have bagged more than 5 this season. So the very best of last year are barely cutting it, how do you think a Maguire with his modest total would fare? Imo he's still miles from Premier league standard. I know he's not a central striker but wide strikers are as prolific these days if you look at top scorer lists from all leagues.

It's a huge disservice to our lads who are doing well in the premier league to be saying lads at a vastly inferior level are doing better than them.

Daryl Murphy
    T

It's a huge disservice to our lads who are doing well in the premier league to be saying lads at a vastly inferior level are doing better than them.
    None of them did anything even approaching special over the last twelve months. This is why I'm saying Maguire deserves. He did something special in the LOI and then moved on to the Championship and continued to do well.

If any of the senior internationals did anything decent I'd be voting for them. Last season I voted for Seamus Coleman in this because he was our best player and he was doing it consistently.

Sean Maguire
    eagle eye wrote: »
    None of them did anything even approaching special over the last twelve months. This is why I'm saying Maguire deserves. He did something special in the LOI and then moved on to the Championship and continued to do well.

If any of the senior internationals did anything decent I'd be voting for them. Last season I voted for Seamus Coleman in this because he was our best player and he was doing it consistently.

Doing OK at prem level beats doing OK at Championship level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Patrick McEleney
    Duffy for me.

For both club and country.

Patrick McEleney
    CSF wrote: »
    Duffy is definitely worth a mention, and I agree with your 2nd point. Maguire doesn't even belong in the poll, never mind joint leader.

He is an Irish player who's career is on the up. Judge by relative successful personal feats. S

I don't see why he doesn't deserve to be on it.

He has had a very succesfull year and earned ample praise

From what I assumed it isn't a "what player plays for the biggest club and/or appearances for Irish team" poll.

I voted Duffy, but Maguire deserves to be on the poll in most Irish soccer fan's eyes for his year on the pitch

Patrick McEleney
    He is an Irish player who's career is on the up. Judge by relative successful personal feats. S

But in comparison to others he doesn't. LOI is an irrelevance in this context and in the Championship Aiden Mcgeady has as many goals and assists in less games but dont see anyone calling for him and rightly so.

The reason Maguire is so popular in this is because we're so desperate for players to come through anyone relatively young showing even the slimest bit of potential would be overhyped.

• Advertisement

Patrick McEleney
    But in comparison to others he doesn't. LOI is an irrelevance in this context and in the Championship Aiden Mcgeady has as many goals and assists in less games but dont see anyone calling for him and rightly so.

The reason Maguire is so popular in this is because we're so desperate for players to come through anyone relatively young showing even the slimest bit of potential would be overhyped.

That is far from a bad thing. Being optimistic about a 23 year old striker with his career on the up in a position we are crying out for someone clearly is far from desperation.

A bit of optimism for the future of our international prospects sparked by someone who may prove a valuable player for us going forward if things continue to develop for him as they have THIS YEAR lends itself to Maguire earning some of these votes and I don's see anything erroneous in that line of thought.

McGeady wouldn't be out of place on that poll either in fairness, considering his success in reviving his career somewhat.

It depends what criteria you are applying to this poll. It is a very vague title, like all these polls are in general

Sean Maguire

McGeady is actually a good shout.

He's scored screamer after screamer in 2017 but is incredibly maligned.

Sean Maguire

From what I assumed it isn't a "what player plays for the biggest club and/or appearances for Irish team" poll.

I voted Duffy, but Maguire deserves to be on the poll in most Irish soccer fan's eyes for his year on the pitch
    I don’t think relativity comes into it though. I’m sure there’s some lad that has banged in 50 goals in the DDSL and he doesn’t belong here either.

Maguire had a really good year in the Premier Division and was rightly rewarded for that with the player of the year award. He’s now gone to the Championship with Preston and immediately shown the he doesn’t look out of place in the starting lineup there. But like he has a long way to go (injury hasn’t helped) before you could say he is excelling in the Championship, and he’s yet to really feature in any relevant way for the national team, and surely these should be the bare minimums before you can be talking about someone as being in the discussion for Irish Player of the Year award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Sean Maguire
    Big fan of Seanie which definitely came in a close second but it's McLean for me. He scored some vital goals for Ireland and his achievements just outweigh Maguire who's had a smashing year and has a very bright future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Patrick McEleney
    I voted Duffy because he's definitely been the best Irish player this year. McLean's achievements were mostly last year so I'm not going for him.

Close second for me was Darren Randalf. I was nervous when he was upgraded to Irish number 1 but he's proved himself with some memorable saves, it's so reassuring to have someone like him between the sticks for ireland.

• Advertisement

Daryl Murphy
    Maguire has over a third of the votes as we near 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Patrick McEleney
    Voted Duffy as he's been good for club & country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Sean Maguire
    This post has been deleted.

Patrick McEleney

I don’t think relativity comes into it though. I’m sure there’s some lad that has banged in 50 goals in the DDSL and he doesn’t belong here either.

Maguire had a really good year in the Premier Division and was rightly rewarded for that with the player of the year award. He’s now gone to the Championship with Preston and immediately shown the he doesn’t look out of place in the starting lineup there. But like he has a long way to go (injury hasn’t helped) before you could say he is excelling in the Championship, and he’s yet to really feature in any relevant way for the national team, and surely these should be the bare minimums before you can be talking about someone as being in the discussion for Irish Player of the Year award.

That's YOUR criteria though which is perfectly fine but you have to respect many many others are applying a separate logic when they put forward Maguire as an eligible candidate of this particular poll.

You can use different logic to put forward any player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ward has probably had the best year. He wasn't far off being Burnley's player of the year last season and has had a great start to this season. Part of a back 4 that had the best defensive record in the league up till last weekend. Very solid for Ireland apart from the Denmark game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cyrus Christie

I didn't vote for him myself but I still think he's deserving of the recognition. He's been really impressive any time I've seen him play, both in the flesh and on screen. He's stood out and made me take notice as much as any other Irish player. I've no doubt he'll lead the line for the National Team in the near future.

I voted Randolph. He's been a revelation for us and is really an immense figure between the sticks. Saved our asses umpteen times.

Honourable mention for McClean.

Patrick McEleney

Hard to account for bad opinions. Shambles of a poll.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Daryl Murphy
    It is very clearly Maguire.

To progress from league runners up to league winners and international cap with a move abroad is far beyond average performances in a struggling team at any level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cyrus Christie
    Hard to account for bad opinions. Shambles of a poll.

Yeah everyone is wrong except you.

Sean Maguire

That's YOUR criteria though which is perfectly fine but you have to respect many many others are applying a separate logic when they put forward Maguire as an eligible candidate of this particular poll.

You can use different logic to put forward any player.
    People have the right to choose whatever logic they want.

It just feels a hell of a lot like logic is being framed to fit the player they want to pick (similar to the Towell for Ireland shouts we used to hear for various LOI players over the years) rather than picking a player based on the usual logic they’d use for an award like this if they’d no biases.

A small bit of Championship football and a brief substitute international appearance isn’t usually the winning criteria when you’ve lads playing well in the Premier League and playing a key role in getting us a World Cup playoff. Hard to see how it isn’t a straight shootout between McClean and Duffy.

In any case, Merry Christmas everyone!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement