Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum's Irish Player of the Year 2017

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cyrus Christie
    I don't know, you'll have to ask the people who voted for him. I didn't. IMO though, he's had a stand out year. He stood out in his career progression with being top scorer at the highest level in the country, made a big move off the back of that and broke into the national team. Off hand, I can't think of anyone else who's really done anything all that remarkable. So I can see why people voted for him.

I voted Darren Randolph based on his NT exploits mostly fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

This thread is hilarious to read - so many noses out of joint for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sean Maguire
    Omackeral wrote: »
    I don't know, you'll have to ask the people who voted for him. I didn't. IMO though, he's had a stand out year. He stood out in his career progression with being top scorer at the highest level in the country, made a big move off the back of that and broke into the national team. Off hand, I can't think of anyone else who's really done anything all that remarkable. So I can see why people voted for him.

That's fine. He just wasn't the best then.

Cest la vie.

Not a vintage year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Daryl Murphy

I voted Maguire for the reasons you mentioned. Otherwise Duffy would've got my vote due to getting promotion to the pl and doing well there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Patrick McEleney
    Horgan and Maguire back to back winners lol. Please don't run this next year. It's only serving to expose an embarrassing lack of knowledge of relative strengths of leagues from boards members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Sean Maguire
    The majority reckon he was the best.

Actually about a third of the vote,.

Cyrus Christie
    rgace wrote: »

Which is the majority is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sean Maguire
    rgace wrote: »

No, it’s just a more sizeable minority. The majority would imply 51% or more I believe.

In any case people voted in favour of Trump and Brexit so I’m reserving my right to put this in the same bracket of insanity voting ;)

Cyrus Christie
    CSF wrote: »
    No

It can refer to more than half or the most/greatest part.

majority
    məˈdʒɒrɪti
    noun

the greater number.

synonyms: larger part/number, greater part/number, major part, best/better part, main part, most, more than half; bulk, mass, weight, (main) body, preponderance, predominance, generality, lion's share; (the) people, the masses, the silent majority

Anyway, Trump and Brexit have been mentioned. Time to get out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sean Maguire
    CSF wrote: »
    No

It can refer to more than half or the most/greatest part.

majority
    məˈdʒɒrɪti
    noun

the greater number.

synonyms: larger part/number, greater part/number, major part, best/better part, main part, most, more than half; bulk, mass, weight, (main) body, preponderance, predominance, generality, lion's share; (the) people, the masses, the silent majority

Anyway, Trump and Brexit have been mentioned. Time to get out!
    Make Paul McShane Great Again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Sean Maguire
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Horgan and Maguire back to back winners lol. Please don't run this next year. It's only serving to expose an embarrassing lack of knowledge of relative strengths of leagues from boards members.
    Ah, so it was a joke thread last year as well. Must remember that for next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Patrick McEleney
    The amount of whingeing on this thread is off the charts even for this forum.

It was a thread designed to provoke a bit of discussion - like every other "best of" thread you'll come across.

Amazes me how some people can have such an issue with opinions being different to their own. THE VERY IDEA. There's more important things in the world to get bent out of shape over, lads. Build a bridge and get over it.

Daryl Murphy
    Rekop dog wrote: »

Wouldn't the best solution be to have a poll, but everyone must ask you what their opinion should be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Daryl Murphy
    Rekop dog wrote:

Well IMO you haven't a clue. Somebody who has actually achieved some success is deserving if the award.

Imo Maguire is already one of Ireland's best players but just because he is not in the EPL you are unable to comprehend that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Daryl Murphy
    Omackeral wrote:

No, a majority is over 50%.

Advertisement