Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

control of dogs

Options
  • 23-12-2017 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

so today i went to my local vet to get a check up on my golden retriever after he had an operation to castrate him earlier in the week. when we got to the vet there was a woman inside with a pitbull that was not on a lead or was not muzzled and that dog approached my dog and started to bite him on the leg and the scruff of the neck he caused significant damage to his front leg there was six of us including a vet who instructed us on what to do to seperate the two dogs to prevent further damage being done by pulling on the pitbulls back legs and throwing water on its head eventually the dogs were separated and put on leads. my dog had to get two strong painkillers injected into him and now has to take two different types of painkillers and antibiotics or the next week.
    the woman had no control of the dog what so ever and did nothing to help the situation then when a veterinary assistant told her to put a muzzle on the dog she shouted back mind your own business this dog could have killed a child or any small dog. the stupidity of the woman caused so much pain for my dog he is now very quiet and does not want to eat which is very unusual for him.
    I was wondering what can be done about this dog to stop it from attacking again and what should i do about this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You need to report it.
    You need to contact the council dogs unit. Dog warden...

You may need to get working on a solicitor to get a letter out to the woman for vet bills.

Get CCTV kept if there is any on premises.

They won't give a copy but ask for it to be stored.

People with such dangerous dogs should really have to do a course on safety and actually should have them taken off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Sorry to read this about your dog but I would have thought the vet clinic should have had some responsibility to only allow animals on the premises that are on a lead or in a crate, bit odd that they allowed the dog to wander around reception on no lead. There's always stupid dog owners so would think the vets should have a policy and enforced it. Hope you weren't charged for the care your dog received after the incident. If you have details of owner could maybe report to the dog warden but it was on a business premises so might come back on the vet clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

The vet clinic would have insurance covering customers and their property as for the other dog report to dog warden

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joseph2017

thanks for the help we got her to pay for all of the bills and will be contacting the dog warden tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

How was a Pitbull or any dog in a vet without a lead? He just strolled over to your dog, it all sounds so strange.. where did this happen OP?

Hope your dog is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dog should be put down and owner charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

She paid your bills, AND you are contacting the warden? Maybe discuss the incident with the vet first who will be familiar with the dog in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

joseph2017 wrote: »
    eventually the dogs were separated and put on leads.

Sorry to hear that op. You do say here that both dogs were off the lead though. I don't think the lady would have been obliged to have her dog muzzled in a private place either. I don't think the dog warden will be interested. She doesn't sound like a very good owner all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

percy212 wrote: »
    She paid your bills, AND you are contacting the warden? Maybe discuss the incident with the vet first who will be familiar with the dog in question.
    Discussion with the vet is irrelevant to the fact that the dog was not under its owner's effective control. The breed is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

OnDraught wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that op. You do say here that both dogs were off the lead though. I don't think the lady would have been obliged to have her dog muzzled in a private place either. I don't think the dog warden will be interested. She doesn't sound like a very good owner all the same.

private place is irrelevant dogs must be kept under control at all times
    i have owned a bull terrier and anrottie and currently own a staffie among ither doggies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I didn't mention breed.

I think it's a little underhanded of the op to take money from that woman, when the vet would most likely be liable as the dogs were on their premises. I also think the op is an ass for taking said money while intending to report the dog to the warden (because we all know what the intention is in that case).

They should not take the money AND report the dog to the warden.
    endacl wrote: »
    Discussion with the vet is irrelevant to the fact that the dog was not under its owner's effective control. The breed is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Tigger wrote: »
    i have owned a bull terrier and anrottie and currently own a staffie among ither doggies

Yeah I'm aware of that. They don't have to be wearing a muzzle though. As the lady is paying the vet bills I don't really know what more can be expected of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

a vetinary practice counts as a public place
    what should be done ( probably nithing once the bills are paid)?what can be done well lots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭honda boi

Really sorry about your dog op,
    These kind of owners are the ones that give rotties,pitbulls etc bad names.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tigger wrote: »

No they must be kept under control in a “public place” being:

“public place” means any street, road, seashore, park, land, field or other place to which the public have access, whether by right or by permission, and whether subject to or free of charge;

While public may have access to the vet’s surgery, I don’t think it would be construed as an “other place” as it is not of the character (outdoors) as the others.

The owner of the Pitt bill is a twit and the vet should have ensured tge dog was on a lead. This is a horrendous outcome for the retriever who will likely be scared of other dogs for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

percy212 wrote:
    I think it's a little underhanded of the op to take money from that woman, when the vet would most likely be liable as the dogs were on their premises. I also think the op is an ass for taking said money while intending to report the dog to the warden (because we all know what the intention is in that case).

percy212 wrote:
    Terrible advice, that woman is responsible and should pay. Also her dog has show the agression to attack unprovoked if we go by the OP's statement, so that dog unfortunately should be put down, more because of the owners attitude, she should have a heavy fine to send a message to irresponsible owners, maybe the message will get through.
    Marcusm wrote:
    While public may have access to the vet’s surgery, I don’t think it would be construed as an “other place†as it is not of the character (outdoors) as the others.
    I see you point but not all public places are outdoors, because a vets surgery is walk in to the public, to me it could be argued as such, not everyone there is invited by appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I didn't mention breed.

You got to be joking? Hitting the irresponsible idiot in the pocket might make her think about how she handles a dog in future. Reporting her might well save someone elses pet from being mauled in the future. A small dog might not be so lucky. I would be doing both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I didn't mention breed.

She doesn't owe that reckless woman anything. Her dog could have killed the op's dog. She should have to pay for the damage rather than insurance which is paid for by us all. The dog should be put down too imo. It's clearly a danger (at the very least to other dogs).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Closed for mod review

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement