Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick leave

Options
  • 23-12-2017 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm suffering from stress because of work, there's loads of work load and the attitude I get from managers is no longer bearable, I doubt that they even consider that the ordinary staff have feelings, and I'm starting to suffer from a medical condition due to stress, how would sick leave work, how do get it and do you get paid? , and is it possible to take the employer to court for causing major distress?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Visit your GP and get her medical opinion if you haven't already done so. How long are you employed there? What type of work environment is it., e.g. Call centre

• Registered Users Posts: 7 katrina1997

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Visit your GP and get her medical opinion if you haven't already done so. How long are you employed there? What type of work environment is it., e.g. Call centre

The problem for me may be that, I'm employed there for over 10 years now and it's a restaurant, and there has been bullying going on for number of years and I never reported it because I feared to loose my job as I have children to take care of, constantly getting bruised, burned and started suffering back problems from listening heavy boxes, and I've been suffering from depression for a few years now, and anytime I try to talk to the managers about it they tell me that I'm over exaggerating. I really don't know what to do at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I really don't know what to do at this stage.

As 5rtytry56 says above, first step is to take decisive action and go to your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most bars and restaurants don't offer paid sick leave. You could check your contract to be sure.

You might qualify for illness benefit, provided that employer has been paying PRSI payments for you over the years. More details are at;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Get to your doctor and have a talk with them.
    As mentioned your field of work rarely has paid sick leave but check your contract is the best advice.

I wouldn’t worry about complaints, solicitors, court etc until you get yourself looked after first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 katrina1997

Thank you for the reply, will get the ball rolling after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eds

Contact the HSA, they will be able to advise you further based on your particular complaints;

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/

Advertisement