Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless light switch wiring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Turn off the lights at the fuseboard. Join all the existing neutrals in a connector block, don't forget to bring a new neutral from the connector block to the 'neutral in' terminal on the new switch.

Connect the existing Live supply conductor (currently going to the 'common' terminals of the old switch) to the 'Live In' terminal on the new switch.

Then connect the live conductors from light 1 and light 2 to the 'L1 out' and 'L2 out' terminals on the wireless switch. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Thanks Pete,

I dont get: Join all the existing neutrals in a connector block, don't forget to bring a new neutral from the connector block to the 'neutral in' terminal on the new switch.

Hows that done then? any picture of this?

Cheers, C

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

You don't have a neutral in your switch wiring so that wireless switch you have won't work. Most wireless switches require a neutral for them to work however the vast majority of Irish and UK light wiring doesn't use a neutral at the switch unfortunately.

You can try a different type of switch like Lightwave RF or wait for something like Kleverness switches which don't require a neutral and are due to be released in May 2018.

@rockdrummer4 - I was going by your first picture, I assume that this is the current arrangement and that you have the three blue wires going to a connector block close to the switch? If so, take an extra neutral from the connector block to the neutral in terminal on the wireless switch.

If not, you could drop a neutral from one of the ceiling roses connected to the switch.

Thanks guys,
    Bought that switch cause it works with Amazon Alexa...
    No easy way to run a neutral? Would there be a neutral in a wall plug socket, theirs one nearby?
    What about using earth :) ???

• Advertisement

You can't run a neutral from a socket circuit, it will cause the RCD to trip. And I would definitely not recommend using an earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thanks guys,
    Bought that switch cause it works with Amazon Alexa...
    No easy way to run a neutral? Would there be a neutral in a wall plug socket, theirs one nearby?
    What about using earth :) ???

I'm guessing you're not an electrician...
    You either need to find a way to get a neutral from the lighting circuit to the switch or put the switch back in the box and return it or sell it.

aido79 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're not an electrician...
    You either need to find a way to get a neutral from the lighting circuit to the switch or put the switch back in the box and return it or sell it.

Hi Aido, you guessed right I ain't no electrician....
    Is it a relatively easy job for an electrician to run a neutral from the light? How much would that cost roundabout?
    Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi Aido, you guessed right I ain't no electrician....
    Is it a relatively easy job for an electrician to run a neutral from the light? How much would that cost roundabout?
    Cheers..

No idea on cost but as long as there is a conduit down to the switch then it's relatively easy to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Do you need it on Alexa and Google or just wireless.

There are non smart wireless options

• Advertisement
Advertisement