Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic outdoor camera recommendation

Options
  • 23-12-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi all, sorry for the basic question but I wonder would anyone have a decent recommendation for an external security camera for a home?

We need something that will be attached to a wall and that can be viewed on the phone or computer and rewound to see a few days of recording.

We have a Hubble camera for the baby’s room but I’m guessing this will need to be installed professionally so that power can be brought to the camera?

Any recommendations would be welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Have a look at Hikvision, Ubiquiti and Nest. The latter is consumer grade really but does save to the cloud if needs be.

Ubiquiti gear is nice to set up, Hikvision would be the most popular professional brand.

Look on YouTube for demos of different models to see their quality, the size of area needing coverage, whether you need an NVR/DVR or just live viewing etc all need to be factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

+1 for Hikvision we use it all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 97805

Be sure the camera system you purchase is based in the EU. If you buy one that is USA based, they have few privacy or data protection laws and can share all of the info collected, inc videos of you in your home, with pretty much anybody.

It’s scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

I was hoping to get it installed by a reputable company who can leave me to it then once it’s up and running. Any recommendations for the south east area?

I was hoping to get it installed by a reputable company who can leave me to it then once it’s up and running. Any recommendations for the south east area?

South East is bit wide of an area to suggest companies. What county are you in?

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote: »
    South East is bit wide of an area to suggest companies. What county are you in?

I’m in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

check out Hi-Watch cameras. These are Hikvision's cheaper alternative. I have used one camera so far and the quality of the picture is good. The quality of the camera does not feel as strong as Hikvision but Hi-Watch is better than makes like Foscom etc imo

I’m in Waterford.

JEC
    CTS
    SAFEGUIDE

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

I use Dericam. Can be got on amazon and takes only a few minutes to install.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot!

No worries at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

Quick question, does an outdoor camera need to be installed by a PSA licensed operator?

I was thinking about buying a nest outdoor cam and just install it, but I don't know the legislation regarding security cameras

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

vmb wrote: »
    Quick question, does an outdoor camera need to be installed by a PSA licensed operator?

I was thinking about buying a nest outdoor cam and just install it, but I don't know the legislation regarding security cameras

Thanks

Nope. If you're installing it for yourself, you don't need to be PSA licensed. PSA licensing is required by contractors. There's a sticky that explains this more.

Advertisement