Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone miss the recession ?

• 24-12-2017 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Boom time is back. Hordes of people speanding money like water. Crowds everywhere. Can't get dinner reservations. Shoddy service from staff who don't care. People property or bitcoin obsessed. I miss the recession.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I do miss the 3 euro recession sessions in masons

All drinks 3 euro....crowds rough and rowdy af....but worth it for the savings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bitcoin is the new Bulgarian resort property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Bitcoin is the new Bulgarian resort property.

It actually is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Boom time is back. Hordes of people speanding money like water. Crowds everywhere. Can't get dinner reservations. Shoddy service from staff who don't care. People property or bitcoin obsessed. I miss the recession.....

Bitcoin is Fool's Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Yeah I do miss it a bit, it brought a lot of stuck up pricks back down to earth, but they're all away again, with their white jeeps and "active ware"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I miss being able to impress women by virtue of just having a job.

I don't miss every unemployable knob I know posting daily Facebook advice about working out because they did a couple week course to be a personal trainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Its amazing how quick people have forgotten what it was like to be skint.A few yrs ago a 6 or 7 yr old car paid for in cash was a sensible buy, now nothing but a new german car on pcp is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Noticed an interesting contrast between this thread and the usual one which crops up.

Usually, people are berating the high cost of living and how wages haven’t increased to match that cost of living. Rent, running a car and various methods of discretionary expenditure are constantly being cited on this site as ways in which people are struggling.

This thread is quite the contrast. Apparently, the Celtic tiger is back and buying Bitcoin is seen as fashionable and wise (which it isn’t).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't worry I'm sure it will make a return again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't worry I'm sure it will make a return again.

Make a return?

Flagrant spending.

Top of the allowable mortgages.

New cars.

New watches

Trips the the states a few times a year.

Eating out every week.

Boom is back baby .

There are many never learned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

I never miss a session. Last one I was on was a funeral on Friday got home the Monday.
    Turns out it was a "procession afterwards" they said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Well I can't see how anyone would miss such a depressing event.
    Usc introduced, troika down the government's back all the time, the start of the water charges fiasco, no investments in well anything really.
    Massive unemployment and emigration.
    Crippling debt placed on us all for the banking guarantee.
    People worrying from one day to the next if their jobs would be still there and long queues for the dole office.
    Yeah miss that to bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Honestly it's not a boom period yet.
    Still hard to get jobs. Not like before recession where a lot of places were crying for staff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in Dundrum Town Centre this evening and judging from all the recently bought shiny 161, 162, 171 and 172 reg cars and the amount of shopping bags people were carrying, the "good times" are well and truly back.

Cold comfort to the homeless families who are living in hotel rooms or B&Bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

Budgets being dictated outside of Leinster House and the influence of Unions. I miss that aspect of overlord IMF control. And the empty shopping centres. And Tarquin and wife talking about their home in Cape Verde suddenly finding themselves massively in debt. Michael Noonan, the minister for AIB and Bank of Ireland has retired. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I hate that society doesn't seem to be any more careful with money. its turned back into the exact same shallow money obsessed privileged society it was in the celtic tiger. The years of hardship every sector of society suffered and complained about daily is forgotten, completely business as usual, just crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Noticed an interesting contrast between this thread and the usual one which crops up.

Usually, people are berating the high cost of living and how wages haven’t increased to match that cost of living. Rent, running a car and various methods of discretionary expenditure are constantly being cited on this site as ways in which people are struggling.

This thread is quite the contrast. Apparently, the Celtic tiger is back and buying Bitcoin is seen as fashionable and wise (which it isn’t).

I dint see your point. Rent was cheaper in the recession for sure. I rented a two bed for 800. The last place I rented before I owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I dint see your point. Rent was cheaper in the recession for sure. I rented a two bed for 800. The last place I rented before I owned.

My point is that usually people are complaining of how tight things are, but this thread shows that perhaps that isn’t the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

This independent trader below does.

Another recession will hit eventually, and to be honest, if people refuse to accept this again this time then it is going to be a lot worse than the last one. The housing crisis we have now will be nothing compared to the next coming recession. The vultures will be everywhere sucking the last bit of fresh air from this country Ireland. I think they have sucked enough already.

I'm not looking forward myself to the next recession, but in saying this, I'm already making plans for it.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

The recession actually made it affordable for me to live in Dublin for a few years, once the recovery started I had to move back to Cork, couldn't afford the rising rents.

House prices are rising.

It's getting more difficult to get tradespeople to call you back or to stick to an appointment.

It's getting more difficult to get a taxi on a night out as places are busier again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

The early 80,s and mid 90,s in Limerick is something no one wants to see again.thousands lining the streets to sign on.****ing disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

wakka12 wrote: »
    I hate that society doesn't seem to be any more careful with money. its turned back into the exact same shallow money obsessed privileged society it was in the celtic tiger. The years of hardship every sector of society suffered and complained about daily is forgotten, completely business as usual, just crazy!

Pensioners and the welfare lifers didn't suffer any / barely any hardship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Pensioners and the welfare lifers didn't suffer any / barely any hardship!

Ara fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

Still hard to get jobs. Not like before recession where a lot of places were crying for staff.

Its not hard for honest hardworking willing individuals to gain employment, there's a wasted generation out there that want top pay for f'all work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You need a good auld recession to put manners on people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was in Dundrum Town Centre this evening and judging from all the recently bought shiny 161, 162, 171 and 172 reg cars and the amount of shopping bags people were carrying, the "good times" are well and truly back.

It's Christmas. Would have been like that every Christmas in Dundrum over the past decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Jobs OXO wrote: »

Recession my arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Some entrepreneur should set up Recessionland theme park for the nostalgic types.

My go-to exhibit would be a mocked up RTE studio with a robotic Pat Kenny on stage (it's actually the real Plank) and some guy in the audience shouting "where's my NAMA?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

What could be better than a chopped every 200m?

I know! ... doughnuts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Keep the recovery going folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Spoiled nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It hasn't gone away you know, the next one will be with us fairly sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Free flowing m50 was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What a thread.

“I miss when the country has no money, jobs were being lost hand over fist, the Troika dictated how we spend our money and the dole queues were lengthening.”

When people talk about the Irish being miserable begrudgers, this thread should be Exhibit A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Bitcoin is Fool's Gold.

Plenty fools have made money from it and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Plenty fools have made money from it and moved on.

Until revenue coming looking for CGT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

O definitately certain people havent learnt. Im in mid 30s and plenty my age were around to experience it but havent learnt, spending like theres no tomorrow...for the life of me i cant understanding those with mortgages not availing of the low interest rates to pay off a bit extra rather than spending on 50 euro pippa candles or latest gagget just for the sake of it......going to be some craic when interest rates start rising again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I remember 30 page job supplements

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have talked about this a few times with my OH and other than having more money (most important factor, I know) it doesn’t actually seem like the recession is over.

I think the last boom came at a really good time for us as we were late teens to mid twenties so didn’t get bogged down with a €500,000 shoebox, had no bills, or children so were able to make the most of it.

Also during the last boom I worked a job that had me out around Dublin all day, and around the country a good bit so you were experiencing it every day. This time I go from home to an office and back so increased traffic is the only sign of it I see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I don't miss the recession per say, as mass unemployment was grim and I hated to see my friends and family so stressed about keeping their jobs. But I do think Irish society has gotten totally consumed by wanting the absolute best of everything right now. 5 bed detached house in d4 with a range rover out front seems to be the Irish dream right now. It ****ing disgusts me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Until revenue coming looking for CGT

I'm sure most investors are aware of that, if you owe CGT you made a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Short answer, no

Long answer nooooooooo

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve no doubt in Dublin and other major urban areas that is the case, in rural areas it’s quite different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

FFS you'd swear they were living in a shed they way you are going on about it.

They have a roof over their head and a warm place to live in for free, if they weren't so picky about where they want to be housed there would be a lot less of them in hotels.

Fair play to anyone who has a 16 1 vehicle, they worked for the money to pay for it.

Ruth Coppinger must be your idol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I thought this thread was gonna be good craic ripping the piss out of recession tropes. Then someone brought up the ****ing Troika...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

FFS you'd swear they were living in a shed they way you are going on about it.

They have a roof over their head and a warm place to live in for free, if they weren't so picky about where they want to be housed there would be a lot less of them in hotels.

Fair play to anyone who has a 16 1 vehicle, they worked for the money to pay for it.

Ah no. Sure they’re giving out 161 cars with the dole now. You get 2 if you’re a foreigner.

I saw one dole sponging woman dump a 151 Merc the other day coz she said it was time for an upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Oh I miss it , while it never affected me as I didn’t have mad amounts of money to send during the boom and still the same now.
    But I see friends who spent and lost a lot during the boom and bust back to the spending and borrowing again.
    I miss being able to get a trade person to do a job they would be falling over themselves for any work during the recession.
    Miss being able to get a room in a five star hotel for little money.
    Taxis again are like gold dust and prices for everything are starting to get ridiculous again.

My sister works in retail and they can’t get part time workers again just like during the boom but during recession everyone and anyone was begging for even a few hours work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

not really

They all just borrowing it (well most are) . It's not really a claim to fame.
    There is no fair play involved if they convinced some loan shark to give them a PCP or a bank to loan them the cash.

No better than the unemployed hiring limos on communion day in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

not really

They all just borrowing it (well most are) . It's not really a claim to fame.
    There is no fair play involved if they convinced some loan shark to give them a PCP or a bank to loan them the cash.

No better than the unemployed hiring limos on communion day in my opinion.

So what if they are borrowing for it, 15 years ago when I had no other loans to pay I borrowed for a new car and wished anyone who did the same all the best with their new vehicle.

I don't get the begrudgery for people who have a nice car, they paid for the bloody thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement