Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone miss the recession ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Get Real wrote: »
    Many people may disagree with me. But I think the USC should always stay in some form.

In good times, taxes like this should stay in place. This takes money out of the economy, preventing it from overheating. We can afford to take money out of the economy when it's growing at 6 or 7 percent. Then put this away for a rainy day/keep growth at a lower, constant rate.

It's the equivalent of going on a night out once a week. You can have x beers (whatever amount gives you pleasure) every week and have it to look forward to.

Or you can go out and have 15 beers, jagers and some cocaine while you're there. And spend the next few days in mental horrors and weeks down a few grand.

The govnt have hinted at more tax cuts, spending increases. Yes we need spending to improve services, but why cut taxes and go mad again, not saving for the future?

People have always blamed the govt of the time for the recession that followed. Yet they are simple human beings. The same as this bunch. Who also want to cut taxes when the going is good.

Natural boom bust cycle. Unless we keep paying the likes of USC and voluntarily seek not to lower tax. But if people want cuts here and there and money in their pockets and have a vote, they'll get just that until the next bust comes and their paypackets are robbed again.

The is no way on this Earth,that a Minister for Finance should open their Budget Speech with references to "Removing people from the Tax Net", irrrespective of their status,yet this was exactly the sort of intro which became the norm on Irish Budget days.

Our basic fiscal issue was (and to some,remains) the relatively few people paying into the system vis-a-vis the numbers being supported by the same system.

Instruments such as the USC are unpopular due to the lack of ways out of NOT paying it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Absolutely not one bit.
    Living from hand to mouth.
    Wondering where our next meal was coming from, often scraping together all the coppers I could find to buy milk etc. Dole. Shame. Guilt.
    Better off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The govnt have hinted at more tax cuts, spending increases. Yes we need spending to improve services, but why cut taxes and go mad again, not saving for the future?

People have always blamed the govt of the time for the recession that followed. Yet they are simple human beings. The same as this bunch. Who also want to cut taxes when the going is good.

Natural boom bust cycle. Unless we keep paying the likes of USC and voluntarily seek not to lower tax. But if people want cuts here and there and money in their pockets and have a vote, they'll get just that until the next bust comes and their paypackets are robbed again.

because its the default position of irish government. Give everyone a little bit, whether merited or not. The only ones being done are the mid to high earners, in terms of pulling their weight. The hundreds of thousands of low income earners are paying in virtually nothing in direct taxes. But let me simply cut a long story short, why is that the case? really simple! when mid to high income earners and its the high income earners that really get done here, what percentage of the electorate do they make up? 5% if even (high earners I am referring to)!

That is the primary reason they get murdered here! Hike the lpt, hike the hospitality rate of vat and cut an outrageous situation where you lose over half your income over a pittance of E34,800 Like people on that are the f**cking wolf of wallstreet or something :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

less gin **** around

less hipster **** around

less silly people spending silly money on stuff they really don't need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone who felt the teeth of raw capitalism on their neck would never want to see that again

I won't do another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Yep, I miss the public service bashing

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Few less arrogant Cokeheads around, that was a good by product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone who felt the teeth of raw capitalism on their neck would never want to see that again

I won't do another one

If 1989 is your birth year you will more than likely do a few more before you time is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If 1989 is your birth year you will more than likely do a few more before you time is up.

Unfortunately it isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'm from 87, thanks for ruining the rest of my life.

• Advertisement

Recessions are like the tides, they come and go every few years (around once every 12 years or so), because we have an unstable economic model, boom will always be followed by bust and bust will always be followed by boom.

The only real difference between them is which industry booms or busts the most!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Rent prices weren't crazy and prime city centre apartments weren't be taken up with non-Irish adults willing to share bedrooms with strangers.

Bars which survived adapted by putting on deals, better service and offering food I.E. offered value for money.

Commuting on public transport wasn't soul-destroyingly sweaty. Coked-up ex-private school boys, Independent/RTE "model", wannabe celebrity-types and Conor McGregor heads from Crumlin, Rathfarnham, and those other traditionally working class areas weren't to be found in every somewhat decent bar in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Unfortunately it isn't

Man City 5 - 1 Man Utd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

There's tonnes of men & women wearing sunglasses indoors again, ****ing infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

somefeen wrote: »
    I miss people saying "No recession around there anyway" when someone bought a new telly or something else worth more than 50 quid.

That used to be hilarious every single time and I never once got sick of hearing it.

Somefeen's garage car hold.

broadcast-television-collection-of-old-television-sets-of-the-50s-CPN5DJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I miss the cheaper rent and cheaper hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

listermint wrote:
    New watches

Not me watches! How dare they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

One think i thougt off...when doing a clear out its harder to sell stuff on line compared to a few years ago..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

dd972 wrote: »
    Few less arrogant Cokeheads around, that was a good by product.

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Good thread, I've a mortgage but aim to pay a bit off it every so often rather than upgrading my 10+ year car.

Going back to my teens I was lucky to get a euro to go for a few wedges during school and we had very little money. Think it has stood to me since, rather have savings over debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Good thread, I've a mortgage but aim to pay a bit off it every so often rather than upgrading my 10+ year car.

Going back to my teens I was lucky to get a euro to go for a few wedges during school and we had very little money. Think it has stood to me since, rather have savings over debt.

You paid for wedgies at school ??? V odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

It's amazing how quickly things changed and then changed back. I recall around 2010/2011 finding a 50 euro note in a wallet I forgot about and being overjoyed.

It's amazing how quickly things changed and then changed back. I recall around 2010/2011 finding a 50 euro note in a wallet I forgot about and being overjoyed.

And now what? You laugh at it and use it as toilet paper?

bear1 wrote: »
    And now what? You laugh at it and use it as toilet paper?

Well a bitcoin investment I made a few years back would allow me to do that if I choose but I can't see a 50 euro note being hygienic or comforting to the anus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

The mad cheap restaurant deals have well and truly dried up.

Well a bitcoin investment I made a few years back would allow me to do that if I choose but I can't see a 50 euro note being hygienic or comforting to the anus.

Nah you really need the 100e for the anus, I'm ****ting money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Oh, go on, do tell us all how many million you made but still have time to waste posting on Boards. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The m50 was a dream.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Oh, go on, do tell us all how many million you made but still have time to waste posting on Boards. :rolleyes:

Oh I didn't "make it" I just got lucky that someone transferred some bitcoin for some freelance work I did a few years back that I have been cashing in last year.

And yeah I guess I have a lot of time to waste....

• Advertisement

The m50 was a dream.
    In 2011 it was possible to drive from Palmerstown to Clonshaugh in under 30 minutes at 7AM via the city centre!
    Saved a fortune on tolls.

Ad on the radio today for facelifts and lip enhancements starting at only €200 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Remember seeing George Lee sitting in the news studio and you knew we were in for it.

Advertisement