Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The what smart thing did you get for Christmas thread.

Options
  • 24-12-2017 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭

Well,

As it says in the tin, what did smart Santa bring.

No posting till the 25th now :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Does buying for yourself count? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Davy wrote: »
    Does buying for yourself count? :pac:

Has it ever not counted?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Well, I just unwrapped a hue go lamp, as did the misses. Needless to say we we're both surprised and delighted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I got none. Got some books, even though I read them on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Got a Google home mini (which I ordered myself but it was quickly wrapped before I got my hands on it). I've moved my full size Google home to the kitchen and now have the mini in the sitting room. With my Christmas bonus I also bought myself a Tepron Move blind motor, 3x b22 white hue bulbs, 2x hue dimmer switch and a hue motion sensor which are due in a few days.

This means I'll have now added blind control to the sitting room and have also added smart lighting to the downstairs hall and kitchen giving me smart lighting everywhere except bedrooms (already have colour hue lights in sitting room and motion sensor and white hue bulb on landing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Loads. Google home, smart things hub and a couple of hue bulbs.
    Google home is just the most bonkers yoke ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

A Ring doorbell. Hopefully I'll be able to wire it in tomorrow and not rely on the battery.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

A couple of Wyze cams and a couple of sonos, will report back when I have them set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Bought Google home for my Dad. He's in his 60s but has always been a techie
    Sadly he's dying of manflu so when his iPhone x wouldn't connect to it this morning he got in a Huff and gave it back to me.
    Been playing around with it all evening and it's great altogether.
    Telling it I am your father and asking what noise does a donkey make drew a brilliant response. Turning off the tv in the sitting room didn't. However the mother liked that feature and her favourite piece of technology is still the pen and paper :pac:
    I can see him taking it back in a few days time now that it's set up and his manflu will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

A Ring doorbell. Hopefully I'll be able to wire it in tomorrow and not rely on the battery.
    Same here, let me know how you get on. Would like to attempt this too.

• Advertisement

It's extremely simple if you have a working doorbell already

Stoner wrote: »
    It's extremely simple if you have a working doorbell already
    I have but the transformer is 12v, and I saw somewhere that a resistor is needed.

It was very easy, only awkward part was I didn't have a trip switch marked for the doorbell so I had to knock off all the power. Only took about 20 minutes in total.

It includes a diode for electronic doorbells, which I didn't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I picked up some cheap as chips (£36 for 3) wifi sockets that integrate with google home/Assistant.
    I have 2 setup in my Mancave now to control the heating and the AV setup....
    Being able to switch on the hearing before heading out to watch the footy by telling my phone to "Ready the cave" has made me happier than it had any right to!

I just need to set up "Make it so" as my start everything command when google home finally introduces routines!:pac::pac:

acalmenvoy wrote:
    I have but the transformer is 12v, and I saw somewhere that a resistor is needed.

Do you have the regular Ring.

I have that for ages now, bought it in from them directly , it's fine on my regular 12 V traffo

It was very easy, only awkward part was I didn't have a trip switch marked for the doorbell so I had to knock off all the power. Only took about 20 minutes in total.

It includes a diode for electronic doorbells, which I didn't need.
    Did you need to fit a resistor, have you a 12v or a 24v transformer?
    Stoner wrote: »
    Do you have the regular Ring.

I have that for ages now, bought it in from them directly , it's fine on my regular 12 V traffo
    Its the ring 2.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Here is my haul since the Black Friday Sales started (not necessarily what I got for Christmas as such):

- Logitech Circle 2 Camera (Amazon Warehouse deal, perfect condition :)
    - Samsung SmartThings starter kit
    - Google Home Mini
    - Xiaomi Smart Home Hub and various sensors
    - 2 x Ikea GU10 €7 bulbs
    - Hue Dimmer Switch
    - 2 x Hue Motion Sensors

I'm thinking abou pulling the trigger on that Nest deal of a free GH Mini with a Nest Protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

bk wrote: »
    - 2 x Ikea GU10 €7 bulbs

What bulbs may I ask? My edit: Sorry - is it the Tradfri and can you control them with a google home??

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Did you need to fit a resistor, have you a 12v or a 24v transformer?

Nope, just wired it straight on. It's 8v, which is the minimum the device works with.

wait4me wrote:
    What bulbs may I ask? My edit: Sorry - is it the Tradfri and can you control them with a google home??

Yes full control

I added 10 of them. See the instructions on the hue thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement