Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion - Report of the Joint Committee on the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution

1232425262729»

Comments

Once the shackles of the church were removed, the country has changed so much, and it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Once the shackles of the church were removed, the country has changed so much, and it's great.

To be fair those shackles weren't so much removed but outright disintegrated when their own dark corrupt underbelly got exposed and ironically enough it was the abuse of kid's that done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Congratulations everyone who voted, I have never been prouder of the Irish people than I am this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I’m not talking about rape victims. I’m talking about the vast majority of cases lumped under the Yes campain's description of “crisis pregnancies”. If you really don’t want to get pregnant, you can avoid having sex during your fertile period (only a few days a month) and use more than one form of contraception. A bit of an inconvenience, I’ll agree. And there are other ways of having fun with a sexual partner besides penetrative sex. Too late to start thinking about responsibility after the act - it’s all “poor me”. Pro-choice, my foot. More like anti-consequence.

So when I broke my neck, playing rugby, I should just have been told "you knew the risks, tough" and been refused a space in the Spinal Unit?

I mean a broken neck is a huge risk in rugby but thousands of lads play every weekend during the winter. Are we going to tell them to just accept the consequences of their actions?

This is looking like a very good day in Ireland, where no woman will be risked for no reason and no husband/wife will have to look on helplessly as their partner dies because of a fetal heartbeat still going

....... wrote: »

I only knew one person voting No. Any friends, family, work colleagues were voting Yes. So they said anyway.

A lot of them were older voters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So it seems that John McGuirk on RTE is now suggesting that the No vote should be heard even though it is only about 35% of the electorate. I have to question why the minority should now be heard seeing that there has been very little compromise from the Vote-No side for more than 30 years. It's a bit rich of him to now ask that respect and kindness are accorded to those on the Vote-No side.

I hope there will be some reflection from those that wanted to keep the 8th intact. Maybe if they followed his advice and actually listened to the "minority" who wanted to repeal the 8th a little more maybe they would have been able to have a voice on what happens next instead of having campaigned on a vote of no change. It seems to be too late to try and preach listening to the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Enzokk wrote: »
    So it seems that John McGuirk on RTE is now suggesting that the No vote should be heard even though it is only about 35% of the electorate. I have to question why the minority should now be heard seeing that there has been very little compromise from the Vote-No side for more than 30 years. It's a bit rich of him to now ask that respect and kindness are accorded to those on the Vote-No side.

I hope there will be some reflection from those that wanted to keep the 8th intact. Maybe if they followed his advice and actually listened to the "minority" who wanted to repeal the 8th a little more maybe they would have been able to have a voice on what happens next instead of having campaigned on a vote of no change. It seems to be too late to try and preach listening to the other side.

They believed they were still in control on this one. It's only 16 year's ago that 49.6% voted to insert an expansion of the 8th amendment to exclude suicide as a reason for abortion. There was never any flexibility in their messaging or methods, a sure sign of complete confidence that they could win a straight up debate on the matter. I bet you the likes of the Iona Institute will be extremely shocked by the ultimate result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

....... wrote: »
    There was never a silent no majority. It's a bunch of online trolls, conservative Americans and the (hopefully) last few remaining backwards-thinking Irish who are slaves to the Catholic church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I think the concerns of the no voters should be heard because one thing that seemed to get lost often in the debates of recent months is that we ALL share a common ground. We ALL want less, ideally no, abortions to actually be happening.

So now they have so dramatically lost the Irish Hearts and Minds in terms of achieving that goal by directly banning the practice, they should stand up and join us pro choice yes campaigners and voters in getting behind every and all initiatives we can....... to build an environment where we minimise the quantity of unplanned pregnancies........... maximise the choices and opportunities for those women who find themselves having one so that abortion is not the only option that seems viable to them........... and get behind our scientists and universities as they produce people, knowledge and break throughs that gives us more and more options to offer women who find themselves with a pregnancy not going to plan.

And TOGETHER as one people, one society we can help work towards a society where as few women as possible ever have to make that choice, of if they have to make it they do so with a full range of other options in front of them too.

Let us forget the differences of the past few months and unite all of us towards a common goal we can all agree with. Using the full breath of heart, energy, dedication, finances and resources we saw both sides bring to bear in recent months.

I think the concerns of the no voters should be heard because one thing that seemed to get lost often in the debates of recent months is that we ALL share a common ground. We ALL want less, ideally no, abortions to actually be happening.

So now they have so dramatically lost the Irish Hearts and Minds in terms of achieving that goal by directly banning the practice, they should stand up and join us pro choice yes campaigners and voters in getting behind every and all initiatives we can....... to build an environment where we minimise the quantity of unplanned pregnancies........... maximise the choices and opportunities for those women who find themselves having one so that abortion is not the only option that seems viable to them........... and get behind our scientists and universities as they produce people, knowledge and break throughs that gives us more and more options to offer women who find themselves with a pregnancy not going to plan.

And TOGETHER as one people, one society we can help work towards a society where as few women as possible ever have to make that choice, of if they have to make it they do so with a full range of other options in front of them too.

Let us forget the differences of the past few months and unite all of us towards a common goal we can all agree with. Using the full breath of heart, energy, dedication, finances and resources we saw both sides bring to bear in recent months.

Yes, except they have proven time and time again that they are really Pro-Birth and not Pro-Life. They do not care the moment the child is born and are often the harshest critics of social welfare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yes, except they have proven time and time again that they are really Pro-Birth and not Pro-Life. They do not care the moment the child is born and are often the harshest critics of social welfare

yup, elements of the no side are no different to elements of the yes side. because there are those on the yes side who are very vocal against social wellfare and other supports.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So it seems that John McGuirk on RTE

From tomorrow, I hope I never hear or see the words "McGuirk on RTE" again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The differences are not just from this campaign of a few months. I'm 53 and have been fighting these... people my whole political life. They are not going to suddenly support sex education, equality in education, free access to contraception without restrictions, increased welfare for single mothers, or any of the other measures which would reduce crisis pregnancies and abortion rates.

They believe in sin, and in punishment for sin. They are the enemy.

Advertisement