Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A saddle for a sore saddle

Options
  • 24-12-2017 10:43am

So, I’m in my apartment, looking across at my Montague Paratrooper (pictured, MB wheels swapped out for hybrids) and realising I haven’t been on it in a very long time. That’s been the case for two reasons: 1-I’m a procrastinator and 2- even when I can get past my procrastination, for the past few months there was an injury where the rider meets the bike (not caused by bike, but excruciatingly painful at its worst). No sense going into details, but it’s healing up nicely with better diet etc.

I’d love to hear from other cyclists who came back after “saddle” injury, and how I can get on that bike again without undoing all the healing done. I’m thinking I’ll need to replace the saddle, but I’ve no idea what kind of saddle I should get instead...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got a Brooks last year after reading a great thread on them here ,and never suffered sore bum syndrome. I transferred it to my new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I got a Brooks last year after reading a great thread on them here ,and never suffered sore bum syndrome. I transferred it to my new bike.

I swear by my Brooks B17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've a Brooks B17, at first it was a killer. I won't lie.

At one stage I got a blister behind my nuts, which burst and got slightly infected, so bad in fact that I had to lie on my bed like a baby and dust the area with talcum powder.

But after that its been brilliant, I've used it on two bikes now. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

At one stage I got a blister behind my nuts, which burst and got slightly infected, so bad in fact that I had to lie on my bed like a baby and dust the area with talcum powder.

But after that its been brilliant, I've used it on two bikes now. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

I've a Brooks B17 on the road bike and a Brooks Flyer on the hybrid. Wouldn't use anything else these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks for spoiling my breakfast with that image :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kevingonewest

Double up with padded bibs can get you back until you find a suitable saddle, from someone who carried an injury in that area for a year. Also, I would suggest avoiding anything holding moisture in that area, creams etc, so the skin can toughen up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

When I started cycling last Spring, I remember the pain - it was bad, and lasted for days after every ride. But I don't think it ever went as far as a blister or any other serious injury. Perhaps all the years on the motorbike helped develop the 'iron but', but cycling did hurt massively for first month or so. Eventually, purely by chance I figured out the padded bottom I was wearing was too thick / too much padding. Somewhat thinner padding was actually a lot more comfortable.

By then I had also ordered a Brooks Cambium C17. It came a day before my first long trip and off I went with it for the day (225 kms or so) - absolutely no issues! Not sure if it's the seat or if my bottom just got used to it - now the seat is comfortable enough for an hour to 90 mins without any padding.

In short, persevere.. it should get better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Gwildor wrote: »
    I've a Brooks B17 on the road bike and a Brooks Flyer on the hybrid. Wouldn't use anything else these days.

Same, B17 on road and CX bike, Flyer on hybrid. I've tried a number of other saddles that all amounted to different types of torture after a few hours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tatranska wrote: »
    Thanks for spoiling my breakfast with that image :D
    Same myself (different saddle) a few years ago,a cyst the size of a golf ball appeared out the side of my gooch. Had to lance the mother and drain, followed by cleaning and silly walks for a week.

Saddle position was my issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    Had to lance the mother and drain
    i really shouldn't be asking - but you had to do it or had to have it done?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i really shouldn't be asking - but you had to do it or had to have it done?
    Done it to myself as I was poverty stricken at the time. Well aware of the stupidity of my actions though before anyone points them out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    Done it to myself as I was poverty stricken at the time. Well aware of the stupidity of my actions though before anyone points them out.

My insides just crawled into their insides 🀢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

An alternative to all those Brookses is Gilles Berthoud - basically a French Brooks. They have a better selection of leather saddles with cut-outs than Brooks do. I got one to replace a B17, after a wee dose of prostatitis. Never looked back.

Couldn't love the Cambium C17 myself - like sitting on a rock.

Would love to have hideous disgusting story to tell here, but sadly none....

Advertisement