Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tayto

• 24-12-2017 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Alright folks

Apologies if this topic has been done to death but I have to know if Northern and Southern Tayto are owned by the same company? Too much of a coincidence, same name and same logo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

O'Neill wrote: »
    Alright folks

Apologies if this topic has been done to death but I have to know if Northern and Southern Tayto are owned by the same company? Too much of a coincidence, same name and same logo.

Germans own the brand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Tommy-Lee-Jones-news-2015-360x240.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

King is the superior crisp. Even if they are nearly identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

walkers is the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

jacob2 wrote: »
    walkers is the best

Calm down there Martin Luther!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

walkers is the best

Walkers is the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

walkers is the best

Protestant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Tayto are awfull crisps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

King is the superior crisp. Even if they are nearly identical.

Think you're going to get away with a statement like that because it's Sunday morning, and Christmas Eve?

That's Fake News. It's like people saying Messi and Ronaldo are equally as good because they both have the same number of Ballon D'Or's won.
    There's only one goddamn king and in this case, King is not the King, Tayto is the King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Think you're going to get away with a statement like that because it's Sunday morning, and Christmas Eve?

That's Fake News. It's like people saying Messi and Ronaldo are equally as good because they both have the same number of Ballon D'Or's won.
    There's only one goddamn king and in this case, King is not the King, Tayto is the King.

Tbf, anyone that hasn't lost their senses knows King piss all over tayto
    and merry xmas to ya !

• Advertisement

Tbf, anyone that hasn't lost their senses knows King piss all over tayto

Thoughts and prayers to such people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

longshanks wrote: »
    Protestant?

wats religion got to do with crisp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Standing ovation for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Walkers is the worst.

Agreed with the exception of their paprika crisps which I recently discovered when I was on hols. Aw man. So good.

Agreed with the exception of their paprika crisps which I recently discovered when I was on hols. Aw man. So good.

Never tried paprika.
    Sounds like something could burn your mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Would you respect a ruler of a country if they were called ‘Charles, Tayto of Great Britain and Northern Ireland’?

Of course you wouldn't and by that very fact alone proves that King are best!!

They are called King for a reason, they are the King of crips!

frag420 wrote:
    They are called King for a reason, they are the King of crips!

This is a marketing ploy based on the premise of fake it until you make it. Hence it is as false as the diamonds sold on late night shopping TV to people with access to a phone and a credit card.

There is but one King and yea, for his name is Tayto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

This is a marketing ploy based on the premise of fake it until you make it. Hence it is as false as the diamonds sold on late night shopping TV to people with access to a phone and a credit card.

There is but one King and yea, for his name is Tayto.

The movie "Into the West" nailed it...tayto tastes like a traveller on a piebald

The movie "Into the West" nailed it...tayto tastes like a traveller on a piebald

That was a Scientology ploy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

If you’re going for Cheese & Onion, then Tayto are nicer. If you’re going for Salt & Vinegar, then King are better.

What wanker at Walker’s decided to switch the conventional colours for the flavours that everyone’s used to. Nothing is worse than picking up a blue packet expecting salt and vinegar but actually getting cheese and onion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Having spent many years in London, I have an apreciation for walkers. This has left me with the sensation that taytos have too strong taste. I do however like the odd bag.

Saying that, I was given a present recently of a box of taytos bags. The crisp in the packets in the box were of a much lower standard (both taste and texture wise) than the six pack plastic bags, which are again a lower standard that the individual bags sold in shops.

Why do they do that I wonder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Ronaldo and King are better.

Autochange wrote:

See, those that think one is the best, are the type to think the other is also.

You're wrong, but you're consistent. And you've proved my point.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

See, those that think one is the best, are the type to think the other is also.

You're wrong, but you're consistent. And you've proved my point.

Thanks.

Pity I can't find a picture of Ronaldo eating a bag of King.

Can we at least find common ground and agree that walkers are stink?
    It's Christmas after all

(You are still wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Autochange wrote: »

Sam Spudz would kick both of their arses if he was still around.

Grand little footballer so he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

maudgonner wrote: »
    Sam Spudz would kick both of their arses if he were still around.

Grand little footballer so he was.

Sam Spudz smokey bacon ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Tayto are awfull crisps

Feck off :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why is it that no-one does ready salted without the salt in this country?

Have to stock up in Tesco whenever I'm in the UK

In fact, that's just reminded me. I'm due my Christmas treat so will go and grab a bag now (have to lock them away from the rest of the family)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm no expert in these matters, so I'm gonna go with whichever one has the most roller-coasters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Beasty wrote: »
    Why is it that no-one does ready salted without the salt in this country?

Have to stock up in Tesco whenever I'm in the UK

In fact, that's just reminded me. I'm due my Christmas treat so will go and grab a bag now (have to lock them away from the rest of the family)

I'm guessing you mean without the vinegar?
    Most of us here are just used to the salt and vinegar flavour- reminds us of our chips from when we were kids. Most people in Ireland probably find the 'ready salted' varieties bland in comparison to what we're used to. Its the same way- there is almost twice as much flavouring in the cheese and onion crisps here- as they use in the UK (the US- make cheese and onion crisps to the same recipe as Irish crisps, rather than the insipid recipe the Brits use).

Personally- I don't really have a preference for either Tayto or King- I have a rummage on the shelf- get a pack from the back with the best date- and choose depending which has the best date...........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Archeron wrote: »
    I'm no expert in these matters, so I'm gonna go with whichever one has the most roller-coasters.

I think I'll go with the one that has the least number of animal deaths......... thats just me though........... Tayto Park has had its zoo closed and infringement proceedings taken against it by the Department of Agriculture several times- even in the last year. Roller coasters be damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Tayto and King are made on the same production line using the same potatoes. Slightly different flavourings are used at the end. King uses a different type of artificial onion flavouring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Largo got found out selling crisps that they claimed were gluten free when they were not.

That got them a trip to court

Bad Bad Largo

So, I prefer Seabrook......their QC has yet to be found wanting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Never tried paprika.
    Sounds like something could burn your mouth.

No, not at all, paprika crisps are the best. Polish shops tend to sell the Walkers (Lays) and other brands. Lidl sell them sometimes as well.

I think I'll go with the one that has the least number of animal deaths......... thats just me though........... Tayto Park has had its zoo closed and infringement proceedings taken against it by the Department of Agriculture several times- even in the last year. Roller coasters be damned.
    Largo got found out selling crisps that they claimed were gluten free when they were not.

That got them a trip to court

Bad Bad Largo

Well that's this thread done. I'm out.

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I initially thought this would be a discussion on how measly the bags are filled in the boxes. They also put the 20 in a big bag just to put more air in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A great Protestant friend of mine introduced me to the Walker brand.

I love how crisps can bring the two Christian factions together. Lovely stuff. God bless all Protestants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Tayto are above average crisps and King are a little better, the only reason there so popular is nostalgia of a time back when there wasn't as much choice

Give me Pringles or Doritos any day

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Greyfox wrote: »

Give me Pringles or Doritos any day

Right now, I couldn't have less respect for your tastes.

Doritos aren't even potato crisps,ffs.
    It's like saying you prefer biscuits to Taytos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

O'Neill wrote: »
    Alright folks

No :)

Tayto NI is the third biggest crisp manufactruers in the UK and brand include Golden Wonder, REAL Crips and others and loads of own brands, licneced brands (Manhattan Crisps) http://www.taytogroup.com/

The Real :) Tayto is owned by Largo foods who are in turn owned by Intersnack who are a massive compnay - KP snacks, McCoys, Pombear, and all the main Irish brands.

The real Tayto licenced the name and recipes to the Nordy Tayto back in the mid fifties, but they hanve always operated as different businesses.

Spud Murphy who set up Tayto (the real Tayto) invented the cheese and onion flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

different companies / brand owners north and south, not the same products, they still get upset if any crosses the boarder.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Definitely prefer King although the Tayto Smoky Bacon is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

O'Donnells only good Irish crisp. Multipack walkers is bland disgusting crap. Tayto arent much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

walkers is the best

Up North they call them "Marchers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Don't like Hunky Dory's, they're like a second rate McCoy's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement