Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor camera for moving targets

Options
  • 24-12-2017 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi there,
    Just looking for some advice please. We have a problem with boy racers doing donuts outside our house at the moment. And with newborn triplets and a toddler in the house, who are being woken on a near nightly basis, I’m at my wits end. And trying to persuade my husband that shooting them is not the answer !

So, what we need is an outdoor camera, preferably with its own power source and storage, that is high res enough to photograph the reg plate. It’s happening at night, so will need IR too. Range is small... 5-10m. The cars are obviously moving too. We’d like to keep cost reasonable obviously ... say under 200. But we’re willing to consider any solution, whatever the cost.

Has anyone had to buy anything similar, or can offer any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Hi there,
    Just looking for some advice please. We have a problem with boy racers doing donuts outside our house at the moment. And with newborn triplets and a toddler in the house, who are being woken on a near nightly basis, I’m at my wits end. And trying to persuade my husband that shooting them is not the answer !

So, what we need is an outdoor camera, preferably with its own power source and storage, that is high res enough to photograph the reg plate. It’s happening at night, so will need IR too. Range is small... 5-10m. The cars are obviously moving too. We’d like to keep cost reasonable obviously ... say under 200. But we’re willing to consider any solution, whatever the cost.

Has anyone had to buy anything similar, or can offer any advice.

Thanks

Unfortunately imo if your budget is only 200 i cant envision you getting much of a system. By the time you get a good camera, a power supply, cabling, connections, DVR/NVR you would be over your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A wildlife camera might just do. You'd have to get lucky and snap them moving slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duckett

take a look at Arlo by Netgear.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sonya Blade

ED E wrote: »
    A wildlife camera might just do. You'd have to get lucky and snap them moving slowly.
    I've always wondered how expensive these could be

• Advertisement

I see, here's one from CA https://www.cabelas.ca/product/99514?productVariantId=280600&gclid=CjwKCAiApo3SBRA4EiwAty8i-kyOiPA55_uafflWSD5eGCMEX5_baO0_T33Pyb5wdJ-OWjARPLXHFBoCitgQAvD_BwE

12 MP
    Looks like there isn't much difference on the price tag but it's still on the higher end

Mod edit: please don't spam the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Eh yeah , hire a personal security guard...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

alta stare wrote: »
    Unfortunately imo if your budget is only 200 i cant envision you getting much of a system. By the time you get a good camera, a power supply, cabling, connections, DVR/NVR you would be over your budget.

What would you recommend for a larger budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

alta stare wrote: »

Thanks for the advice. I figured it might be expensive alright but I could increase the budget if it would get a result. Could you recommend anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

1080p own power source IR pir[/quote]

Thanks. Looks like it can take pics every second. So there’d be an element of luck involved but it’s very cheap, so might be worth a shot. If there was an alternative that shot proper video though, I’d be interested also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

You can check this camera H E R E.

Check the "auto tracking" feature.
    That may do the trick for you but over the quoted budget...

I've bought a similar camera from a local supplier,hope to set-up over the weekend.

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

You can check this camera H E R E.

Check the "auto tracking" feature.
    That may do the trick for you but over the quoted budget...

I've bought a similar camera from a local supplier,hope to set-up over the weekend.

Have fun.
    Hi Rolion,
    I'm also interested in this camera. How did your installation go and are you happy with the results? Did you have an existing system that you added this to or was it set up as a stand alone camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi Rolion,
    I'm also interested in this camera. How did your installation go and are you happy with the results? Did you have an existing system that you added this to or was it set up as a stand alone camera?

Stil in the box,sorry !

Mine does not have the auto tracking,as that model will have cost me few more hundreds but the guys show me live how is workign and is impressive how the camera "follows me" around the yard and then when i hide,it resets to a preset osition!
    Tours are easy to setup and the camera moves in certain spots/areas of the covered zone.

Advertisement