Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schmallenberg

• 24-12-2017 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Anyone who has started lambing seeing deformed lambs that look like schmallenberg?
    Seen a few very suspicious cases in last two days but won't get any to lab until new year 🀔☹️

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I am worried alright.....that there wasn't enough of a cold snap to kill off mifgets earlier in the year

We got a wicked doing with it one year

,and remains the only thing ever made me want to give up sheep/dread lambing/handling them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I am worried alright.....that there wasn't enough of a cold snap to kill off mifgets earlier in the year

We got a wicked doing with it one year

,and remains the only thing ever made me want to give up sheep/dread lambing/handling them

There's a few cases in athlone lab in the last couple of weeks, in cows but not in sheep .......yet

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

wrangler wrote: »
    There's a few cases in athlone lab in the last couple of weeks, in cows but not in sheep .......yet

Believe there's cases very suggestive of schmallenberg in Longford and Cavan and I just pulled another lamb there which looks like it, awful job.

Wonder are the flocks further south showing immunity now so they won't see as many cases as naive flocks here in the north west.

Believe there's cases very suggestive of schmallenberg in Longford and Cavan and I just pulled another lamb there which looks like it, awful job.

Wonder are the flocks further south showing immunity now so they won't see as many cases as naive flocks here in the north west.

I'd have taught flocks further south would be more prone to it??

Being near the coast/continent and first places midges would hit?

Also not so cold as to kill off the midget population properly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Midgets?

:D

• Advertisement

Initially they would have been but if they were previously infected they might have some level of immunity?

Initially they would have been but if they were previously infected they might have some level of immunity?

I do think they said this alright....but it's maybe 5 years since we had a bad break of it

Vast majority of sheep here would be under that all the same and I assume wouldn't have the immunity??

Fcuking horrible disease,I genuinely feel for you...you'd dread having a difficult lambing/handling the sheep with fear of it

Have you many left to lamb

I do think they said this alright....but it's maybe 5 years since we had a bad break of it

Vast majority of sheep here would be under that all the same and I assume wouldn't have the immunity??

Fcuking horrible disease,I genuinely feel for you...you'd dread having a difficult lambing/handling the sheep with fear of it

Have you many left to lamb

Yea I know it will be hard to know what flocks will suffer and those that will get away....

40 left to lamb here but only another dozen or so early ones then 30 odd in March so hopefully they might be ok.

Awful to not know what to expect when you feel a mess of legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nearly finished lambing here and no sign of deformed lambs. The reading off the cows on milk screening was bloody high though:(

Nearly finished lambing here and no sign of deformed lambs. The reading off the cows on milk screening was bloody high though:(

Is that antibodies they screen for? Might mean you have a good level of immunity in cows, fingers crossed the heifers will be alright🀞🀞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is that antibodies they screen for? Might mean you have a good level of immunity in cows, fingers crossed the heifers will be alright����
    Nothing I can do anyway bar wait at this stage. If there is a problem, just head down and work through it. It was a surprising result though.

Advertisement