Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[B]Mains Link equivalent using wifi?[/B]

Options
  • 24-12-2017 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi. I thought this might be the place to get a suggestion. As the title says, I'm looking for something that will do a similar job to this.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/remote-control-systems-kits/8607246/

I want to bring on the outside lights on my shed at the same time as the house outside lights. The house outside lights are already coming on via a photocell at night. So I don't need any remote control or phone app, or smart switch. Just need to use the switch wire feeding the house outside lights as a trigger.

The above item will work, but I thought there might be something less expensive out there.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What time of lights are on the shed?

Do they need to be controlled with exactly the same as the outside lights or would you fit an additional timer/photocell?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

I was hoping to avoid having to wire a seperate photocell. I didn't mention that the house lights are also on a timer that turns them off around midnight, and also wired to a PIR so they still can come on after midnight. So I would be happy if the shed lights would just come on along with the house lights at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The least expensive answer will be from the electrical forum and it will be to cable it.

Hmm... I did think of that already. I'm just looking for alternative solutions. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Delta Lima wrote: »
    Hmm... I did think of that already. I'm just looking for alternative solutions. Thanks.

Plenty of other options but may be more expensive and controlled separately.

The reason I asked what lamp fitting are they, would make a difference if normal domestic or large floodlights

• Advertisement

They are normal domestic . Two corner lights. I think I might go with the mainslink thing. I'd say they do a good job. Just thought there might be something else worth a try in this age of IoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well SONOFF units are only 8 euro for 10 switching or 10 euro for the 16 amp version

SONOFF is IFTTT compliant
    IFTTT is stringify complaint

You can add soft photo cells to stringify so technically you don't need photocells that much now just let the Google daylight application handle it.
    Stringify has timers too

So you are looking for the state of one SONOFF to change the state of another in both directions.

I'll have a look
    Edit:

Ok I looked you can't trigger from the SONOFF channel.

TBH this is really a cabling issue unless you change your triggers and accept a soft zone. You really want to have both circuits to appear as one.

So why not just make a Google daylight trigger to switch on the SONOFF units ? Have it that you can switch them on your phone too ? Or get a SONOFF switch for the house for 15 euro and a regular SONOFF for the shed and pair them up. This pairing will work for timers and soft photocells but currently with SONOFF a switch can only switch one cct. So only the house lights will come on for adhoc physical switching you'd need to use the app to switch the shed outside of timers and photo info

Advertisement