Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone phone return

Options
  • 24-12-2017 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

I bought a phone in a Vodafone store yesterday, I found out that somebody had already bought me a smart phone so I went to return it today. It was in it's box with the sleeve on the phone and I had the receipt, the junior staff said that they couldn't give a refund because, 'the plastic wasn't on the outside of the box'. As far as I can recall, there was no plastic on the outside and I can return the phone within 14 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Seanachai wrote: »
    I bought a phone in a Vodafone store yesterday, I found out that somebody had already bought me a smart phone so I went to return it today. It was in it's box with the sleeve on the phone and I had the receipt, the junior staff said that they couldn't give a refund because, 'the plastic wasn't on the outside of the box'. As far as I can recall, there was no plastic on the outside and I can return the phone within 14 days.

Did you buy the phone with a contract or just the phone on its own? If you just bought the phone on its own there is no right to return in 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

14 day cooling off period if bought online but none if you buy over the counter.

30 Days cooling off period if you bought a new contract.

Is it possible to return the other phone or did you open both phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    14 day cooling off period if bought online but none if you buy over the counter.

30 Days cooling off period if you bought a new contract.

Is it possible to return the other phone or did you open both phones?

I only bought one phone, the other was bought as a present for me, I haven't been given it yet though. I didn't buy any contract with it. Does this mean there is no return policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I only bought one phone, the other was bought as a present for me, I haven't been given it yet though. I didn't buy any contract with it. Does this mean there is no return policy?

if you bought it in store without a contract then standard consumer law applies. unless there is something wrong with it you are out of luck,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

There's no legal obligation to take back a product under change of mind but I thought Vodafone had a policy to do so if it was within 14 days and the phone was unopened tbh.

Give them a call on 1747 and check in case the shop assistant is fobbing you off.

• Advertisement

There's no legal obligation to take back a product under change of mind but I thought Vodafone had a policy to do so if it was within 14 days and the phone was unopened tbh.

Give them a call on 1747 and check in case the shop assistant is fobbing you off.

In fairness it was two young fellas who didn't seem too sure, I'll go back when the manager is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

In fairness it was two young fellas who didn't seem too sure, I'll go back when the manager is there.

Just to confirm, I worked in a phone shop for about 5 years. There's no return on the phone unless it's faulty.

No big company allows the refund, so don't blame the lads in the shop if they can't help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Its purely up to the shop if they want to allow you change it or not once you bought it in person.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Just to confirm, I worked in a phone shop for about 5 years. There's no return on the phone unless it's faulty.

No big company allows the refund, so don't blame the lads in the shop if they can't help you out.

There isn't officially, a return is usually given as a goodwill gesture though, I worked in customer service for ten years. I'm a long time Vodafone customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

If the wrapped plastic is not on the box then I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You have no proof that you have not opened the box and that the phone is untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Was it opened?

Was the phone used?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A family member bought a PAYG phone in Vodafone today and they said you could return the phone within 14 (I think) days once the plastic seal was still on the box. It would be unusual for them to sell a phone without a plastic seal.

They said that if it is faulty within 28 days, they will replace it in store. After that time period, they will send it back for repair.

You could test them out if you like by sending someone else in to buy the same model of phone and see if it comes out with a plastic seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Seanachai wrote:

It's up to the retailer to decide if they will take it back. Some will as a good will gesture. You'll have a better chance with a manager.

If all else fails you can return the one you got as a present so long as you don't open it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

There isn't officially, a return is usually given as a goodwill gesture though, I worked in customer service for ten years. I'm a long time Vodafone customer.

It's irrelevant how long you've been a customer they don't have to do anything for you.
    The staff should still know procedure but if the wrapping has been removed then it's not in its original packaging and they won't take it back.

I'd still suggest calling customer service, the manager is going to go with company procedures so they will be able to tell you.. There would have been a manager there today too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The returns policy is normally printed on the back of the receipt, have you checked the back of the receipt to see what Vodafone's policy is?

Advertisement