Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapha Festive 500 2017

Options
  • 24-12-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

who's in ?

did a biggish spin to avoid leaving too much after the feeding frenzy,
    day got colder as it went on. made a bad choice of roads around Hollywood and the HW was energy sapping to there as well. WG and SG not too bad some TW and CTW on the way ups

Happy Christmas

https://www.strava.com/activities/1325872279

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

NO NO NO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭secman

I was in but my back flared up again, so I'm out :(
    I'll be lucky to get the 95 or so km to hit my target of 6k km fir the year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm doing it but only to aim for 250. 500 negates any family interaction !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'm doing it but only to aim for 250. 500 negates any family interaction !!!

We are your family, and say to do the 500 / That’s the whole point (your choice of which to use)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Signed up to do it, but decided I'd rather be lazy and enjoy myself. Not the time of year to be suffering like a dog on the bike. I'll get out tomorrow and Stephens day for a bit though hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

devonp wrote: »
    who's in ?

did a biggish spin to avoid leaving too much after the feeding frenzy,
    day got colder as it went on. made a bad choice of roads around Hollywood and the HW was energy sapping to there as well. WG and SG not too bad some TW and CTW on the way ups

Happy Christmas

https://www.strava.com/activities/1325872279

Hw sg etc do explain I’m lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Signed up... with absolutely no intention of completing it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm in, first hundred done before my midday curfew, as for the rest of it we'll see how the weather goes, I don't mind the forecast cold as long as the roads are ice free, not particularly worried about making it to the 500, just want to get to 2018 in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Hw sg etc do explain I’m lost...

HW head wind, Tw tail wind, ctw cross tail wind etc

WG wicklow gap, SG sally gap

excuse my lazy typing, next i'll be txt typing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

devonp wrote: »
    HW head wind, Tw tail wind, ctw cross tail wind etc

WG wicklow gap, SG sally gap

excuse my lazy typing, next i'll be txt typing...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i thought this started on xmas day, not eve. Was planning on going out this morn, but the weather is really crappy in dublin.
    May just go out for a small spin through the empty city rather than the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Last Christmas Day I ended up cycling around town,Grafton St etc.Place was full of tourist and nothing open that I could see!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I see 10 people have completed it already including a few who did it in one ride!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1326300341

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

The lad who’s first on the list has 694km done and gear type is motor 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

Registered, We'll see how we get on between childcare, trips to Sligo for the new year, the weather etc. 129 up so far. Long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Signed up for this , 192km done so far .

down to Greystones via city and back via Enniskerry, nice sunny day great views as always over Dublin bay from Dalkey, felt chilly on the way back.

2 down, 3 to go, lovely day to be out

short spin to the park and a few laps ..feeling tired

think i crossed paths with Alek en famille at the Chapo gate ??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

333km done to date with another 110ish today when I eventually get off my ass

• Advertisement

115 done today, 59 before work and 56 on way home. Fitted some studded tyres to get out at 7am in the morning before work.

Up to 244km's, nearly half way there. Hope to do another 100-120 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

333km done to date with another 110ish today when I eventually get off my ass

115 in the end. 52 to go :)

Late starts because of frosty roads the last few days but managed a couple of hours around lunchtime, at 350km now so all going well will get to the 500 over the weekend

puncture/replace tube before i left the house,
    a boring, cold and busy N4 to Kinnegad and back
    tired , hopefully i can see the back of this tmrw..

372 done now, 75 before work yesterday on studded tyres in NCD (ice everywhere on the back roads) and 54 after work out towards Maynooth. Went out for a few pints last night, so a bit fragile this morning. Still, must keep going with this so heading out shortly to do 65 or so, around Ratoath direction.

Nearly there!

80km this morning has me in touching distance, need another 69km tomorrow to get over the line, the only problem is I have a house full of sick people here, I'm saying that all the fresh air over the festive season has saved me, think I'm going to have to avoid them all till the F500 is in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

completed

completed, in the big gusty wind out to Bray this morning

Job done.

Went out at 7am for an 83km spin out past Summerhill, and back through Dunboyne. Suffered badly today, especially into the head wind on the way out. Wind assisted back home though, which helped.

Punctured in Clonee with 25 to go. Did the usual, checked the tyre and fitted the tube, instantly deflated. Down to one tube, rechecked the tyre more carefully this time, couldn't find anything in the tyre. Much to my relief it stayed inflated and got me home.

Going to the west of Ireland for the new year. When I travel I usually take a bike. This time, no bike, it's going to be a few beers and rest.

• Advertisement

Done, but maybe not dusted yet, 111km today with two of the lads from the club, one of them was sick Christmas Eve so is still 80km or so away, it would seem wrong to leave him to slog it out on his own but we'll see who else is about tomorrow.

Advertisement