Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf bike lane - what a shambles

Options
  • 24-12-2017 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Went for a spin on this famously expensive and long time been built pathway for the first time properly and its some joke. i went from Dublin port end towards Sutton. I encountered, car parks with car bonnets overflowing on the path, their owners spilling out on the path, I crossed the entrance of two other car parks, Several crossings and junctions with no warnings, poles all in the lanes along the way. Rode through at least two bus stops with people all over the path waiting for their bus. Then when you get further up after the newest looking bit past the Dollymount strand entrance there are poles with dog poo bins attached to them, and where are they erected? On the inside of the cycle path next to the wall. you have to ride out of the path way to avoid it. also means dog walkers have to walk on to the cycle path to use it. Why the gombeens couldnt erect these in the wider footpath section, god only knows. just as i was getting near the end there are these crazy steps going down to the footpath on the road side that start literally on the cycle lane which means a rectangle hole to avoid. Imagine using this for the first time at night. And to think its all designed this way.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Far from perfect, but wouldn't call it a complete shambles.

The new section is very nice I find. Stairs, car park entrances and bins are rather annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Michelin

Ah it is a shambles...why should cyclists/citizens accept this second rate cycle path given the cost and time it took to build. a lot of the obstacles look like they have been there a long time...why has it never improved? new section has kerbs to jump onto and it splits into a footpath and cycle path by st annes park with no indication of which direction to take. second rate facility. i know im coming down hard on it, Im just fed up of sub standard work by councils

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Michelin wrote: »
    car parks with car bonnets overflowing on the path
    Whatever about the other inconveniences, the above is criminal. Cannot believe the path wasn't widened in those places.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Far from perfect, but wouldn't call it a complete shambles.

The new section is very nice I find. Stairs, car park entrances and bins are rather annoying though.

Historical stuff aside even. The bins look new so, Why do planners/engineers (no sure who decides to put these things there) erect these on a cycle path? like Doh

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Etc

The manhole covers are in the cycle lanes too, could have been located differently. I definitely agree, the bins are a challenge on a dark commute home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's dangerous. I run on the pedestrian part of it a couple of times a week and have had a few close calls on the pededtrian part with cyclists who imo were travelling too fast for the conditions. Granted it's quite narrow in places for cyclists especially if passing while moving in opposite directions .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd have to agree really. Lots of basic issues which really shouldn't have made it passed the first draft of planning. The dog poo bins and steps in the middle of the track really do get me, no logic applied at all in those spots. The lack of lighting along large portions of the track is another issue, especially heading Sutton direction in the evenings with the car headlights pointing in your eyes. Even with a big light up front you'd have to be very cautious indeed.

That being said, I commute on it daily and it's fine. Does the job, no more no less. Pretty typical of cycling infrastructure in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,741 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They need to fit wheel stops in the carparks so the cars can't overshoot on to the cycle track...

wheelstop-c100-carpark.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are the bins new? I dont remember noticing them earlier in the year.

Blanch
    DPtref1W0AEd8ux.jpg

Navan Road
    DNDk6MKX4AIpoHe.jpg

Knocklyon
    DL3wYHCWsAAnOyH.jpg

Bray
    DEy4E11W0AExg2K.jpg

Councillors should be made to cycle, otherwise they'll never cop the hell onto their own stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mikewalsh

Are these cycle lanes ever right when they're added on after?

Who's designing the things anyhow ,is it councillors?

• Advertisement

Engineers and planners in the co co, then signed off by the councillors. Book stops with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mikewalsh

There needs to be proper procedures in place to get the lanes altered when issues arise after

It's bound to happen when lanes are tacked onto existing roads

ED E wrote: »
    Engineers and planners in the co co, then signed off by the councillors. Book stops with them.

So a grown adult, with a degree in town planning or engineering, passes the graduate entrance exams and becomes an employee of the county council, goes and designs a bike path, grand then he or another planner/engineer with same credentials decides to put a bin/pole etc in the path. ha

SDCC claim to have no money to fix any road issues. Lowest spending per m of all the LAs.

DLRCC are ok, though the Dromartin Link joke is still present.

DCC can move if you prod them weekly for a year. Cuffe is good but not going up again next year.

Michelin wrote: »
    So a grown adult, with a degree in town planning or engineering, passes the graduate entrance exams and becomes an employee of the county council, goes and designs a bike path, grand then he or another planner/engineer with same credentials decides to put a bin/pole etc in the path. ha

Yep. Possibly architects too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,741 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why do such obstructions not become personal injury claim goldmines? Do no people on bikes claim for others recklessness?

Why do such obstructions not become personal injury claim goldmines? Do no people on bikes claim for others recklessness?

This isnt AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The expensive cycle lane which cane from cycling allocated money also included flood defence walls and new mains water

It’s Criminal how that budget was spent. I’d love to see what the actual cost if the cycle path element was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Cycled today along from entrance to Eastpoint, where I encountered a large amount of glass (deliberately?) smashed right across the cycle path, you have to go into the grass beside it to avoid...

Further up just past Clontarf bus depot I encountered a group of about 12 people merrily strolling along the cycle path completely oblivious that they were blocking the cycle lane..

Also on the new section it seems to be full of grit and stones so definitely not being maintained..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Cycle it daily for work and often cycle the full length and back for exercise.

Find it great, you can pick up a good clip from Clontarf to Sutton.

Genuinely don't know what people are complaining about, find it a great peace of infrastructure. Wish we had more of it.

If people happen to be in the cycle lane, ring your bell, people move out of the way, solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have not used the track but I would say what the op has said sums up many cycle tracks.

A bell is a valuable tool when cycling in urban areas/where there are pedestrians. You can’t stop people walking on the Clontarf track or any cycle infastructure, but if the LA’s place rubbish bins on these tracks, they just make it a foregone conclusion that people will! That’s self-defeating. On that, the LA’s are truly expert.

Personally, I am tired with the “what if this is as good as it gets” or “it’s better than it was” type comment. It can be better and it should be better.

When planning these, planners need to consider it’s intended purpose, traffic volumes, and crucially user needs. Then design it ‘fit for purpose’, ensure it’s constructed ‘as designed’ and when finished, maintain/clean it on a regular basis. Anything less indicates to me a lack of interest in providing a safe, dedicated cycling infastructure.

Until we get such infastructure, a bell—although essential to have— is not a solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I have not used the track but I would say what the op has said sums up many cycle tracks.

A bell is a valuable tool when cycling in urban areas/where there are pedestrians. You can’t stop people walking on the Clontarf track or any cycle infastructure, but if the LA’s place rubbish bins on these tracks, they just make it a foregone conclusion that people will! That’s self-defeating. On that, the LA’s are truly expert.

Personally, I am tired with the “what if this is as good as it gets” or “it’s better than it was” type comment. It can be better and it should be better.

When planning these, planners need to consider it’s intended purpose, traffic volumes, and crucially user needs. Then design it ‘fit for purpose’, ensure it’s constructed ‘as designed’ and when finished, maintain/clean it on a regular basis. Anything less indicates to me a lack of interest in providing a safe, dedicated cycling infastructure.

Until we get such infastructure, a bell—although essential to have— is not a solution!

To be fair, if you haven't used it you really shouldn't judge. It's pretty good actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

LennoxR wrote: »
    To be fair, if you haven't used it you really shouldn't judge. It's pretty good actually.

I don’t have to use it to make a general comment on cycling infastructure. I read the whole thread and many posters agreed with OP that it’s not as good as it could be. Therefore, this track appears to be no different to others I have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ED E wrote: »
    Are the bins new? I dont remember noticing them earlier in the year.

Bray
    DEy4E11W0AExg2K.jpg

Sorry but this wrecking my head, whereabouts in Bray is that? Ive been cycling all around Bray for the last 5 years and Ive never seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

ED E wrote:
    Councillors should be made to cycle, otherwise they'll never cop the hell onto their own stupidity.

True. The bray pic looks hilariously shopped. Where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The Bray track is here: https://goo.gl/maps/cxQRCDUswfT2

Bollards and boulders. Looks like fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The Bray track is here: https://goo.gl/maps/cxQRCDUswfT2

Bollards and boulders. Looks like fun.
    If you zoom out you can see the reason for the placement of the megaliths; they are obviously there to deter a certain ethnic minority from taking up residence in the adjacent vacant sites. That whole area was set to be developed, but sadly the developers failed to take into account that the NII/ M50 junction up the road is already at a daily gridlock, and nobody ever bothered to extend the Luas through here to link up with the Dart a short distance away in Bray.
    As a result ABP has recently refused it.

I'd love to see the cost analysis document comparing the cost of paying compo to the occasional broken cyclist, versus the cost of removing a tribe of our traveling friends and cleaning up after them. The document probably exists in some office somewhere, with TOP SECRET written on the cover :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

red_bairn wrote: »
    True. The bray pic looks hilariously shopped.
    i'm curious in what way it looks photoshopped?

Actually with a bit of imagination, they could have positioned the megaliths clear of the cycle track, but still blocking the gates. Although that might have left a small area of "hard standing" still exposed to temporary residences.

Maybe just a lack of consideration by the megalith builders for cyclists? Of course the other thing about that Fassaroe stretch of road is that there are no cyclists there.

Which brings us on to that other unique feature of The Irish Cycletrack. It usually appears wherever there is wide area of unused space at the side of a road, and then ends abruptly in places where it is actually needed. Clontarf might be a rare exception to that, hence it attracts all the comment because people are actually cycling on it.

• Advertisement

i'm curious in what way it looks photoshopped?
    In fairness, it does look too stupid to be real, at first sight.

Advertisement