Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf bike lane - what a shambles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

what's the deal with the steps down to sea-level along the new stretch? it doesn't look like there's any form of barrier there, so if waters rise above the height of the path they'll spill over at this point...have i missed something?
    Probably metal flood gates are provisioned for. In high tides etc the council put them in in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    ALL the councillors didn't even vote to fund the reduction... some of the councillors from the clontarf-D3 area are doubtless responding to local pressure, the question is why councillors not from clontarf-D3 would vote in favour of it... unless they thought it was the right thing to do or were paying it forward to call in favours down the line.

Even if you assume that they were "paying it forward" , the local Councillors and indeed the others not from the area will not vote for a proposal that is obviously wrong from a Planning Permission point of view. There would have been uproar at the Council if they Councillors thought that they were being deliberately mislead by officials and even if the Councillors didn't raise the roof, then the press certainly would.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,496 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vizzy wrote: »
    Even if you assume that they were "paying it forward" , the local Councillors and indeed the others not from the area will not vote for a proposal that is obviously wrong from a Planning Permission point of view. There would have been uproar at the Council if they Councillors thought that they were being deliberately mislead by officials and even if the Councillors didn't raise the roof, then the press certainly would.

Well what's your theory on why did they vote for it? There can't be too many votes in the views of coast road motorists, if that's the alternative theory.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

ted1 wrote: »
    Probably metal flood gates are provisioned for. In high tides etc the council put them in in place.

Even simpler than that, there would be flood valves inserted in the wall or be connected to the drains that will open when the water from the land flows through them but will remain sealed shut if there is no flow or if the flow comes from the sea side.

Well what's your theory on why did they vote for it? There can't be too many votes in the views of coast road motorists, if that's the alternative theory.

Why did they vote fro what ?

The Councillors voted to lower the wall. I presume that they all had their reasons, be it local pressure from voters or whatever, but, my point is that they were not doing this to save the blushes of council officials.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Anyone see that footage on RTE last week of the flood in Galway?
    There was a guy standing in a flooded building fiddling around trying to fit his floodgate at the front door. These things are great if somebody goes out and fits them before the flood.

Why did they vote fro what ?

The Councillors voted to lower the wall. I presume that they all had their reasons, be it local pressure from voters or whatever, but, my point is that they were not doing this to save the blushes of council officials.

Maybe they were voting to save their own blushes, I think they did vote in favour of the original proposal...

Even simpler than that, there would be flood valves inserted in the wall or be connected to the drains that will open when the water from the land flows through them but will remain sealed shut if there is no flow or if the flow comes from the sea side.
    Any links?

I was thinking along these lines
    https://goo.gl/images/3YT1bd

Something like this I would think - look at the HDPE Valves.

http://www.waterfrontfc.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

OK. but somebody would still need to go out just before the flood and install the floodgates where the wall is breached at the steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

some documentation would help odyssseys claims

some documentation would help odyssseys claims

https://www.clontarf.ie/news/clontarf-sea-wall-independent-heights-survey

Johnny Morrissey of the Dollymount sea scouts has measured the max height of the new wall and it's 4.25 ... how can they fit the cladding to that and not breach the height?

I don’t see how they would cover a 5 ft opening in a wall where there’s steps.

I don’t see how they would cover a 5 ft opening in a wall where there’s steps.

Not familiar with the area so I'm don't know about steps etc. but in the normal course of events (i.e. when there is serious rainfall with a danger of flooding on the "land side" of the wall) the valves will do the job.
    If there is likely to be flooding from the sea then you would need flood gates at any steps etc.
    In other areas of the country there are also pumps on the land side of the flood defences to actually pump the water through the valves when the flood level on the sea side is higher than the valves but still lower than the flood walls.
    Ennis, Clonmel and Waterford have these I think.

Here is an image of the defences in Clonmel. Not much chance of a motorist getting much of a view of the river.

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/local-news/159230/Clonmel-s-multi-million-euro-flood.html

Here is an image of the defences in Clonmel. Not much chance of a motorist getting much of a view of the river.

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/local-news/159230/Clonmel-s-multi-million-euro-flood.html

There might be... as Clonmel has a demountable section added when flood warnings are in place.

"The Clonmel Flood Relief Scheme is nearing completion, and will provide protection to a 1 in. 100 year standard from the River Suir through a series of walls, embankments and demountable sections which are put in place following receipt of a flood warning by the local authority"
    http://www.tipperarycoco.ie/sites/default/files/FINAL%20SFRA.pdf

I'm confused as to why Clonmel can include demountable sections and meet a 1 in 100 year standard but if Clontarf look for the same they are castigated in the media as whinging NIMBYs???

Even without the demountable portion the wall is about shoulder level ( ref the guy in the picture) plus you have the height of the footpath at about 6 inches ,so unless you are driving a bus or an articulated truck you wont see over it as you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What's the height of the wall from the footpath?

What's the height of the wall from the footpath?

In Clontarf there is a footpath of maybe 6" 150mm, then the cyclepath then the wall of 2ft 600mm or 2ft 6"750mm https://goo.gl/maps/KZfbsyU8FNH2
    In Clonmel the wall looks like 4ft 1200mm high and then the demountable part is another 4 ft1200mm on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There is a bewildering amount of Imperial in this thread.

• Advertisement

"1 in 100 year". Is that projected, or historical? I think the historical data is about to be pretty irrelevant.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There is a bewildering amount of Imperial in this thread.

Fixed that now for all the hipsters :D

Quick work, Vizzy!!

tomasrojo wrote: »
    "1 in 100 year". Is that projected, or historical? I think the historical data is about to be pretty irrelevant.

Nothing to do with 100 years.

https://albertawater.com/how-are-flood-maps-created-in-alberta/what-is-a-1-100-year-flood

Oh yeah, I get the probabilistic origins of the term, but is the use here based on frequency historically, or predicted using sea-level and climate-change predictions? The former, I assumed.

Can't honestly say, but I would think that whatever Consultancy firm was employed to design the current scheme would be using flood mapping models.
    How they are compiled, I simply don't know but I would hope that is was a bit more in depth than "we had an awful sup of rain in 1954, so be better make sure we build it high enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

recedite wrote: »
    Does anybody know what lets freshwater flooding through this wall out into the sea, but stops seawater flooding coming back the other way?

Gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://www.clontarf.ie/news/clontarf-sea-wall-independent-heights-survey

Johnny Morrissey of the Dollymount sea scouts has measured the max height of the new wall and it's 4.25 ... how can they fit the cladding to that and not breach the height?
    official documentation, you said that DCC breeched its own planning therefore the answer should be in their docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

what's the deal with the steps down to sea-level along the new stretch? it doesn't look like there's any form of barrier there, so if waters rise above the height of the path they'll spill over at this point...have i missed something?

yeah i've looked and there doesn't appear to be either an inset to sit them into or brackets to take them.
    Not familiar with the area so I'm don't know about steps etc. but in the normal course of events (i.e. when there is serious rainfall with a danger of flooding on the "land side" of the wall) the valves will do the job.
    If there is likely to be flooding from the sea then you would need flood gates at any steps etc.
    In other areas of the country there are also pumps on the land side of the flood defences to actually pump the water through the valves when the flood level on the sea side is higher than the valves but still lower than the flood walls.
    Ennis, Clonmel and Waterford have these I think.

bit of a picture here. i'll try to take a better one myself tomorrow morning.

there are drains under the road to let water out from St Anne's park - of course the first time they were tested in heavy rainfall last June they backed up and the road was flooded as a result...

• Advertisement

yeah i've looked and there doesn't appear to be either an inset to sit them into or brackets to take them.

bit of a picture here. i'll try to take a better one myself tomorrow morning.

there are drains under the road to let water out from St Anne's park - of course the first time they were tested in heavy rainfall last June they backed up and the road was flooded as a result...

Is that a pic of the current set-up ? cos there is capping on the wall and I got the impression from the discussion thus far that when the capping was to be installed that it would be over the permitted height in the planning permission and that was the reason that the wall now needs to be lowered.
    If the wall is to prevent flooding there will have to be some way of "waterproofing " the gaps i.e. flood gates that can be removed.

As regards the drains backing up, they may simply be "existing drains" and not form part of the flood relief scheme.
    Did the road flood during heavy rain previously ?

Another issue to note is that once the wall stops the sea from flooding the area, it also stops water escaping the other way unless there is proper drainage/valves/pumping in place

Advertisement