Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf bike lane - what a shambles

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Fully agree with all of the above Ferris. Best bet is to write to Dublin City Council and cc the Cycling Officer and local Councillors. Include Ciaran Cuffe too even though he is not local. Unfortunately, I suspect that the Council will want to move on to other areas once they finally extricate themselves from the mess of the sea wall but it can do no harm to point out the problem areas. Maybe the recent improvements near Vernon Avenue are a sign that there is some intention of upgrading the whole Fairview to Sutton route.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

Great to see the improvement at The Sheds being completed in such a short time. An enhancement that benefits all users.

Agree with Ferris, particularly about the lighting at the Sutton end - extremely hazardous, made worse by the steps cut into the west bound lane. Also the hazards at the bus garage.

The cycle path would also benefit greatly from improved markings, signage and info boards for visitors/tourists etc...dare I even suggest a speed limit for cyclists?

The seafront is a great amenity.....but it could be so much better for everyone with just few modest upgrades like the new path at The Sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

on the bus garage point, having read the above I really noticed yesterday evening just how bad the bushes are. the railing at the car park also serves to obscure the view of anyone exiting the car park trying to look along the path.

thankfully I've only ever encountered a couple of cars entering / exiting but even at that have had mixed experiences in terms of safety.

on the baths - I wonder what the plan is here - will both ends of the access road be in use? ie one end for entry and one for exiting? if so they'll really need to think about signage etc or that'll become a very dangerous spot for cyclists. it's already getting sketchy with work vehicles parking in such a way that partially obstructs cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

on the baths - I wonder what the plan is here - will both ends of the access road be in use? ie one end for entry and one for exiting? if so they'll really need to think about signage etc or that'll become a very dangerous spot for cyclists. it's already getting sketchy with work vehicles parking in such a way that partially obstructs cyclists.

I'd to wait (about two minutes) yesterday coming in as a maintenance truck was leaving and he was blocking the bike path. He couldn't get out onto the road due to traffic and I couldn't get past him because of a parked car.

They need to put a yellow box in there or something that actually might work other than some paint on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mathie wrote: »
    I'd to wait (about two minutes) yesterday coming in as a maintenance truck was leaving and he was blocking the bike path. He couldn't get out onto the road due to traffic and I couldn't get past him because of a parked car.

They need to put a yellow box in there or something that actually might work other than some paint on the ground.

I think situations like that are bound to happen when the construction work is on going. A yellow box would not have prevented a truck from entering it as happened here. I'm sure the road surface will be re-done when construction on the bath house is finally complete, so we'll have to hope that things are done well. Although I would half expect to see two yield signs for cyclists in order tor cross, or worse traffic lights...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone being down that way today ? Dun Laoghaire / Sandycove has flooded. Intresting to see what height it is northside

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ted1 wrote: »
    Anyone being down that way today ? Dun Laoghaire / Sandycove has flooded. Intresting to see what height it is northside

There's a video on RTE news... the promenade section opposite the dublin bus garage has flooded ... footpath completely submerged but as the bike lane is closer to the road, I think it's clear - of seawater at least.

Dunno what it's like opposite St Annes where the new wall is...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement