Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many weather warnings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

doylefe wrote: »
    Red warning for today for the West and North West has been farcical.

Not only today. Since 11pm last night:rolleyes:.
    Looking forward to Spring now though as an allergy sufferer.. The pollen count is high, stay indoors!!

All joking aside, watching the news there is amazing. The utter snowmageddon over in Tullamore. I drove from Crossmolina to Rossnowlagh today and the only problem was the low glaring sunshine!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

iguana wrote: »
    The school is not your childcare. The fact that you get to use it as such most of the time is a bonus but it's not always going to work out. This week it didn't.

Are you for real? Idiot:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Shadylou wrote: »
    Are you for real? Idiot:mad:

??????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have never seen the local kids as happy as I did today. We haven't had decent snow here since they were babies or not even born. It was magical.

Priceless.

What a completely irrelevant thing to come out with. Your Kids didn't need the whole city shut down to get out and play in the snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Following on from the tragic events in Louisburg Mayo over Christmas, Gardai are investigating whether the weather was a factor in it. The wind and rain warning the OP mentions covered this particular region...

sorry tragic though it was, you cant legislate for stupidity

• Advertisement

These warnings need to be more nuanced. The whole stay indoors from 4pm was not warranted. You have the LUAS going off at 2pm in Dublin when there is no reason that it could not have operated for another 6 hours. Sure a flight to Boston left at 16:20. There is some wind, but no more than you get on a dozen days of the year.

Perhaps conditions are bad at Rosslare at 4pm, but this is not true for most of the island.

If you cry wolf, you devalue the warning.

50 mins of the Six One News was dedicated to the flippin weather!
    I think we are beginning to look a bit silly. You only had to see the reaction of foreign visitors/tourists to realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The school is not your childcare. The fact that you get to use it as such most of the time is a bonus but it's not always going to work out. This week it didn't.

I won't call you a word but I agree with the sentiment. No school isn't a childcare - only it is for most of the time. People reasonable expect school to be open & face prosecution if their kids don't attend. It's not a privilege - we all pay a fortune for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

50 mins of the Six One News was dedicated to the flippin weather!
    I think we are beginning to look a bit silly. You only had to see the reaction of foreign visitors/tourists to realise that.

Hurricanes can only be repaired afterwards, But snow can be cleared. Now this Emma is a serious thing, but streamer showers should not close a city.
    It remains to be seen what this Emma actually does and where it does it, but I suspect in Donegal that the weather isn't much different than they get most winters, without a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Not only today. Since 11pm last night:rolleyes:.
    Looking forward to Spring now though as an allergy sufferer.. The pollen count is high, stay indoors!!

All joking aside, watching the news there is amazing. The utter snowmageddon over in Tullamore. I drove from Crossmolina to Rossnowlagh today and the only problem was the low glaring sunshine!

Did you miss the orange sun alert?

Definitely a snow news day. While it may be bad in places, it's not everywhere. Amusing to watch reporter after reporter trying to join in the action with almost no snow behind them describing bitter conditions while wearing no hats, light jackets. One young reporter had to reach in to a doorway to show the incredible depth of snow she was describing while there was barely an inch everywhere else behind her.
    Snowfake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,007 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

After taking the dog for a walk in N. Louth. No sign of anything. It's like a normal breezy evening in any winter, cold but not very and crispy underfoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

After taking the dog for a walk in N. Louth. No sign of anything. It's like a normal breezy evening in any winter, cold but not very and crispy underfoot.

Same in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Discodog wrote: »
    & face prosecution if their kids don't attend.

No we most certainly don't. Parents are the primary educators of their children and it's up to us to decide if our children attend school or not. And school is not childcare. It often works out as such but that's not what it's for and childcare is not the responsibility of the school. If parents choose to send their children to school then obviously the school takes responsibility for the safety of the children while in attendance but they don't have any duty to be a service that parents can rely on as a childcare arrangement.

And tax money allocated to schools is allocated to provide an education not for childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

A good example "In Co. Monaghan snow ploughing and gritting operations by county council staff were suspended in the early afternoon".
    Now Emma possibly won't bring that much snow to Monaghan at all, but even the winds won't be a problem until 11pm.
    Why not continue operations until dark at least. Especially as gritters in Fermanagh will be working away.

This is not a proportionate public response.

No we most certainly don't. Parents are the primary educators of their children and it's up to us to decide if our children attend school or not. And school is not childcare. It often works out as such but that's not what it's for and childcare is not the responsibility of the school. If parents choose to send their children to school then obviously the school takes responsibility for the safety of the children while in attendance but they don't have any duty to be a service that parents can rely on as a childcare arrangement.

And tax money allocated to schools is allocated to provide an education not for childcare.

Nobody said they were childcare, what we are saying is that in cork city in my case there was absolutely NO NEED for the school to close, we had a minimum of snow and the weather was fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Nobody said they were childcare, what we are saying is that in cork city in my case there was absolutely NO NEED for the school to close, we had a minimum of snow and the weather was fine.
    You are being deliberately obtuse about this and I stand by what I said earlier

I’m in one of the worst affected areas of Dublin and they shouldnt have closed here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

No I'm not. Your entire posts were about how you lost money because you couldn't work as your children were home. You don't need to use the word childcare to be very obviously talking about childcare.

Yes, in hindsight, there was no need for the schools to be closed. But weather forecasters don't have the benefit in hindsight. All they can do is tell us what is most likely to happen based on imperfect models of extremely unpredictable forces of nature. Late yesterday it looked like there was a chance the storm would arrive early. If it had, pupils and staff would not have been able to get home, possibly for several days in some areas. As we now know, it's coming later. But that couldn't have been known yesterday, we just don't have that type of forecasting ability.

All Met Eireann and the government can do is assess the risk and take action based on the severity of what there is a chance may happen. Personally I'm very glad that they are leaning towards erring on the side of caution. I live in a country that's prefers to protect our children from potential risk. Just think about that, your government has chosen to value your children more than the economy! That's worth so, so, so much more than money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

With the state of the roads around Cork City today there is no doubt schools should have been shut.

Hurricanes can only be repaired afterwards, But snow can be cleared. Now this Emma is a serious thing, but streamer showers should not close a city.
    It remains to be seen what this Emma actually does and where it does it, but I suspect in Donegal that the weather isn't much different than they get most winters, without a red warning.

As is the norm coverage has been almost totally Dublin-centric. I reckon 90% of those RTE weather gurls never set foot outside of D4

No I'm not. Your entire posts were about how you lost money because you couldn't work as your children were home. You don't need to use the word childcare to be very obviously talking about childcare.

Yes, in hindsight, there was no need for the schools to be closed. But weather forecasters don't have the benefit in hindsight. All they can do is tell us what is most likely to happen based on imperfect models of extremely unpredictable forces of nature. Late yesterday it looked like there was a chance the storm would arrive early. If it had, pupils and staff would not have been able to get home, possibly for several days in some areas. As we now know, it's coming later. But that couldn't have been known yesterday, we just don't have that type of forecasting ability.

All Met Eireann and the government can do is assess the risk and take action based on the severity of what there is a chance may happen. Personally I'm very glad that they are leaning towards erring on the side of caution. I live in a country that's prefers to protect our children from potential risk. Just think about that, your government has chosen to value your children more than the economy! That's worth so, so, so much more than money.

As you say in hindsight there was no need for schools to be closed, glad we're agreed.

With the state of the roads around Cork City today there is no doubt schools should have been shut.

Not a bother where I am up a hill on the northside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

I think there will be more grit on the roads then actual snow here in W Kerry

Ridiculous OTT weather warning

weisses wrote: »
    I think there will be more grit on the roads then actual snow here in W Kerry

Ridiculous OTT weather warning
    is this what we can expect now we have a gay taoiseach?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

My wife's office in Limerick was told to shut at 2.30pm yesterday (Wednesday).

There was no snow on Wednesday afternoon or evening.

A small amount of snowfall overnight (maybe 1cm). Today (Thursday) has been bone dry.

Effectively 1.5 days office closure in Limerick for almost zero snowfall.

Excessive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    My wife's office in Limerick was told to shut at 2.30pm yesterday (Wednesday).

There was no snow on Wednesday afternoon or evening.

A small amount of snowfall overnight (maybe 1cm). Today (Thursday) has been bone dry.

Effectively 1.5 days office closure in Limerick for almost zero snowfall.

Excessive.

I had 30 CM over the last two day , what would you call that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The all country Red warning today was very OTT.
    I’m in Clare and had to make work from home arrangements early today.

Was happy to do it on the basis of last nights warning.
    But it’s now 9pm.....and nothing serious has hit the Midwest yet.
    An all country Red alert should be appropriate and shouldn’t be bandied about.

Let’s have some common sense with this.

Sympathies of course to those areas that have it bad....midlands and east is clearly taking the brunt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

As is the norm coverage has been almost totally Dublin-centric. I reckon 90% of those RTE weather gurls never set foot outside of D4

this may be difficult to understand but weather conditions hit different areas, this time it’s fhe east and it seems to be leinster in particular, it’s not a dublin centred anti muck savage all about us weather conspiracy.

snuggle up to the sow in the corner your shed/home before you make love to it tonight, rustle up the hay to make it extra cosy before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I had 30 CM over the last two day , what would you call that ?

I was referring to Limerick only. I think we need to get away from blanket provincial Red Alerts.

Schools and businesses closed for 36 hours here. And it's still not snowing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I was referring to Limerick only. I think we need to get away from blanket provincial Red Alerts.

Ok I live outside limerick. If it wasnt a red in limerick I would have had to go in today. Roads here impassable, treacherous and partner nearly lost the car this morning. I amnt that far from limerick and would have had to drive home also as well as drive there. So up the road from limerick the roads are impassable. However if there was no red I would have had to risk my life to get there? I dont understand what people arent getting about this weather event...............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Fairly light dusting here on College road, been like that for a while. One major thing i've noticed is how quiet it is, usually a very busy road. Some quieter students is a blessing :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

You do know how weather systems work don't you ?

Just because its suppose to go somewhere doesn't mean it will , the track can make changes without warning , we a small enough Island in the middle of the ocean making forecasting even more complex .

Its not an exact science but they try the best they can from current guidance , the system was supposed to be a lot quicker moving up over Ireland but now its moving quite slow , what the reason for this ?

Well I would think its hit the cold block and thats not allowing it to come steaming through.

The main problem for regular posters on this forum when an event happens is people who pop in for the event expect because Met Eireann said it will be somewhere at a certain time don't have enough of an understanding how weather works .

Its far from an exact science when so many parameters can come into play

Advertisement