Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many weather warnings?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

if you keep spoon feeding people they will never stand on their own two feet and become independent adults able to think for themselves .

On the contrary, I think threads like this highlight why such 'spoon feeding' is a necessity.

Not only would some people have risked themselves in the face of potentially life-threatening weather conditions, they'd have packed children off into them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The kind of hyperbolic comments that rather prove my point.

Its sad really. A lot of people are very invested in wanting this all to be some super serious weather event in which its dangerous to step outside the front door.

Its not, its just snow and when all is said and done I believe a review will show that there was no real need for the country to shut down from Wednesday onwards. I don't criticise the people making factual weather predictions but I do criticise the reactions to that information.

Its crap driving in snow and working in the cold but just as people have done for hundreds of years, we could and should have gotten on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They can must dedicate millions in resources for preparing for these conditions because they are REGULAR conditions.

Here you go - fixed that one... Ireland doesn't have to - it is easier and cheaper to make nationwide holidays for two extra days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Graham wrote: »
    On the contrary, I think threads like this highlight why such 'spoon feeding' is a necessity.

Not only would some people have risked themselves in the face of potentially life-threatening weather conditions, they'd have packed children off into them too.

So basically you saved dozens of kids lives by posting hyperbolic nonsense on the internet.

Sure :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Its sad really. A lot of people are very invested in wanting this all to be some super serious weather event in which its dangerous to step outside the front door.

Its not, its just snow and when all is said and done I believe a review will show that there was no real need for the country to shut down from Wednesday onwards. I don't criticise the people making factual weather predictions but I do criticise the reactions to that information.

Its crap driving in snow and working in the cold but just as people have done for hundreds of years, we could and should have gotten on with it.

How do you drive with Snow half way up your window screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

To be fair the media didn't really over hype it, people overhyped it. The media didn't tell people to buy 8 pans of bread, 10 bags of carrots and 14 litres of milk !

They didn't have to. The media constantly barraged people with hyped up headlines about a 'dangerous blizzard' 'The biggest since 1982' etc. How exactly did you expect people to respond?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So basically you saved dozens of kids lives by posting hyperbolic nonsense on the internet.

Sure :rolleyes:

Go sit in your car with the engine off for two hours and come back and tell us how awesome you are.

lol, are you seriously suggesting that the last few days was all some big conspiracy sponsored by "Big Gritters Inc".

I had assumed large the tin-foil sheets for use in bad weather were blankets, I'm beginning to this they may be hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Edgy to the max. Anyone wanting to stick a fee thousand cars on the road in Dublin today is off their rocker.
    Given we have already had people need to be rescued with few people on the road you can imagine what it would be like with thousands.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Go sit in your car with the engine off for two hours and come back and tell us how awesome you are.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Many of us have been isolated without anyone for these last few days , no family or friends around at all

I don't wish to alarm you unnecessarily but yesterday you had a couple of children who were kept out of school.

How do you drive with Snow half way up your window screen?

You clean your windscreen before setting off, and don't forget the roof as well!

Now please don't try to claim that the snow was blocking windscreens while driving. It wasn't.
    lol, are you seriously suggesting that the last few days was all some big conspiracy sponsored by "Big Gritters Inc".

I had assumed large the tin-foil sheets for use in bad weather were blankets, I'm beginning to this they may be hats.

No, I'm not and that is not what I said. You are rather proving my point here.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Edgy to the max. Anyone wanting to stick a fee thousand cars on the road in Dublin today is off their rocker.
    Given we have already had people need to be rescued with few people on the road you can imagine what it would be like with thousands.

I don't have to imagine, I have seen thousands of cars on the road during snow days lots of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

They didn't have to. The media constantly barraged people with hyped up headlines about a 'dangerous blizzard' 'The biggest since 1982' etc. How exactly did you expect people to respond?

To think for themselves? Im sorry but I don't buy into the whole "the media made us do it" arguement. They're just reporting the news, this has been a dangerous blizzard by our standards. To me it seems, people lose the rag and begin thinking irrationally, realise they might look a bit foolish afterwards and so the easiest thing to do is to turn around and point the finger at the media for informing you there would be snow.

You clean your windscreen before setting off, and don't forget the roof as well!

Now please don't be a moron and try to claim that the snow was blocking windscreens while driving. It wasn't.

No, I'm not and that is not what I said. You are rather proving my point here.

This is how simple your posts are.

Currently outside my house there is over half a meter of flat snow and over a meter of Drift for the next 100 meters. And I'm beside the main street in Naas.

Your advice is " Sure go for a drive. Its grand"

except for the fact that its impossible to turn around.

And you call us the Morons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I think a red warning should be used in extreme conditions but in this case it was not warranted for the whole country. I think Met Eireann did a good job of accurately predicting the weather but releasing a red warning for the whole country at 11.00 pm on wed night was a mistake.
    In that situation all schools and crèches will close. (I'm not sure of the precise legal situation but the reality is in a red warning they will close)
    I live in Donegal and in no circumstance did met eireann predict extreme weather for the north west, why extend the red warning? I  left letterkenny on Thursday morning on totally clear roads, to drive to work in a very large school just across the border which was fully functioning, not even low attendance. The same this morning. Red warning was obviously justified in a lot of areas but it is too blunt, and may prove counter productive in the long run, if the warnings lose credibility

There have been several worse days since January.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

I really don't follow the logic of many of the posts on this thread.

How would breakfast discussion look for some of the posters here.

Finish up your chocco-bix Johnny & Mary and grab your schoolbags, there's only a 50% chance of life threatening weather conditions so we thought we'd chance sending you to school today. Off you go now.

:confused:

NO ...It would be Finish up your chocco-bix Johnny & Mary and grab your schoolbags because the weather forecast predicts the bad weather to arrive later this evening .. Plenty of time to get to and from school ... Off you go now

I don't have to imagine, I have seen thousands of cars on the road during snow days lots of times.

When/where was there at least a foot of snow on the roads. Cos that is what we have here. We have cars getting stuck ffs. Surely that proves the concept does not work? Look what happened over in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Goose81 wrote: »
    What a joke, red warning. The 1 metre expected in South Dublin turned out to be an inch as I said last night when it was rain and not snow, so dissapointed

I know your disappointed but the world is bigger than just South Dublin. Plenty parts of South Dublin got pasted from Lucan to Tallaght and over into Kildare. They got some of the worst of it. If where I am based is anything to go by there must be over 1 metre drifts in plenty of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

9S98WM8.png

1qoTZZT.png

I guess the people living in these areas shouldn't have been panic buying?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    More like its a wasted effort and waste of resources to keep them open if only a couple of kids are going to be able to get there anyway.

Snow and grit helps with getting rid of the snow and Ice more easily and effectively ....Something they know on the continent for decades .... Hence this being a typical Irish solution

And you do know routes where schools tend to be are used by other motorists as well right ?

Cite?

Obviously I didn’t send my kids to school then , nobody did , we looked out the window and used our brains . Rang the school , no answer but eventually an email arrived a day later from them. No wall to wall coverage, no 24/7 updates, no Red Alerts . And nobody died .

So you're saying we should have just risked it and opened the schools then.

Nope, no nanny-state required when the population can tell what the weather is going to do by looking out the window before sending the children out.

weisses wrote: »
    NO ...It would be Finish up your chocco-bix Johnny & Mary and grab your schoolbags because the weather forecast predicts the bad weather to arrive later this evening .. Plenty of time to get to and from school ... Off you go now

And if it is wrong and hits earlier than expected? Seems easier to give a general warning for the country and not have people wondering about the exact second a storm will hit.

If people are really worried I am sure they can the kids do a bit of study at home?

People are getting way too stressed over kids being out of school for two days here.

PS I am totally jealous of Johnny and Mary- I was only ever allowed cereals with names like chocco bix on the weekends!:p

Correct ... with their faces buried in their phones instead of being aware of the situation around them.

Look what happened over in the UK.

65 million people and a few dozen got stuck?

Big deal - they didn't shut the Country down and fair dues to them. Kept the public transport running, kept the schools open.

We could take a leaf from their book and show a bit more backbone rather than the overbearing nannying from our Government.

Cite?

Tell me how i get on with it to get from Naas to Citywest to work with half a meter of snow outside my front gate.

When/where was there at least a foot of snow on the roads. Cos that is what we have here. We have cars getting stuck ffs. Surely that proves the concept does not work? Look what happened over in the UK.

In 2010 and I dug my car out every morning and drove to work. The roads were crap, the traffic was crap, the fact the snow wouldn't **** off was crap, cars got stuck, cars broke down, it was a pain in the hole. And we all used our judgement, assessed our personal circumstances and got on with it.

That isn't distant memory you know, it really happened.

Anyway, like I said, you cannot have an opinion on this matter because certain people in here are really, really invested in this whole event. But I do believe that in weeks to come people will realise that they didn't need to be stuck indoors all day Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and that it will have ramifications both on what the authorities decide next time and on what the population listen to from the authorities next time.

This is how simple your posts are.

Currently outside my house there is over half a meter of flat snow and over a meter of Drift for the next 100 meters. And I'm beside the main street in Naas.

except for the fact that its impossible to turn around.

And you call us the Morons?

My situation is one of 3 cm of snow with dead calm conditions and yet are in a red warned area for the pas 36 hours with all the consequences that brings

The only thing moronic for my situation is the red warning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

65 million people and a few dozen got stuck?

Big deal - they didn't shut the Country down and fair dues to them. Kept the public transport running, kept the schools open.

We could take a leaf from their book and show a bit more backbone rather than the overbearing nannying from our Government.

10 people are dead over there, as in; no longer alive.

Advertisement