Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stealing my gift idea

• 24-12-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Just wondered what people think about something that happened at home today.

I have a brother home from abroad for Christmas. A couple of days ago, the subject of what present to buy for another family member come up and as I already had all my presents bought and wrapped, I mentioned what I had bought them. We will see this family member tomorrow at Christmas dinner, but this evening this family member was around at the house and my brother gave them his present to open and it turns out to be what I told him I had already got for them.

So at 5pm this evening, I find that the present I got is now effectively useless. It was too late for me to go out and get something else and given what the gift was, giving them a second one or giving it to someone else is out of the question.

All my brother has to say is, "sorry about that" and that "its no big deal", but I am fuming, I tried to turn the situation on its head to see if he could appreciate it from my point of view. But shrugged shoulders seemed to be the response.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you do ? or what would you do if it happened to you ?

I've never had a big row with anyone at Christmas before, but the runup to Christmas was extremely stressful with everything left to me, I feel totally unappreciated and then this on top. Right now I just want to keep him out of my sight.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You were played, accept it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

You were played, give your brother a lump of coal for Christmas and move on.
    fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Check your presents, maybe he stole them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Family member.
    If he was someone worth the hassle you wouldn't refer him that way.
    Don't sweat it, present your gift and give an offhand spiel how it was the last one they had in stock before the Christmas stock came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Your brother is a d**k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Ah, this is what Christmas is really about.. Hating your ****ing asshole siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

What was the present? I'm guessing cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

heyjude wrote: »

I have a brother home from abroad for Christmas. A couple of days ago, the subject of what present to buy for another family member come up and as I already had all my presents bought and wrapped, I mentioned what I had bought them. We will see this family member tomorrow at Christmas dinner, but this evening this family member was around at the house and my brother gave them his present to open and it turns out to be what I told him I had already got for them.

So at 5pm this evening, I find that the present I got is now effectively useless. It was too late for me to go out and get something else and given what the gift was, giving them a second one or giving it to someone else is out of the question.

All my brother has to say is, "sorry about that" and that "its no big deal", but I am fuming, I tried to turn the situation on its head to see if he could appreciate it from my point of view. But shrugged shoulders seemed to be the response.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what did you do ? or what would you do if it happened to you ?

I've never had a big row with anyone at Christmas before, but the runup to Christmas was extremely stressful with everything left to me, I feel totally unappreciated and then this on top. Right now I just want to keep him out of my sight.

Does that mean your brother will be tucking in to Christmas dinner handed to him by you tomorrow.

Revenge is a dish best served cold... etc

Any chance you could swop presents with someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

"I bought this for you three weeks ago."

Give the present, laugh it off as a coincidence (if mentioned).
    I assume the receiver is clued up enough to
    (1) guess what happened
    (2) appreciate you didn't make a scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Take a shít in his shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I find that the present I got is now effectively useless. It was too late for me to go out and get something else and given what the gift was, giving them a second one or giving it to someone else is out of the question.

Give that present to your brother tomorrow. Hopefully it's absolutely useless to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Put coal in his stocking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

"Hey Man, I got you your present, the brother misunderstood and went out and bought it again for you."
    Smile, swallow the bile, and Stephen's day serve up hot whisky or hot chocolate laced with a good dose of liquid laxative for the little sh1t:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    "Hey Man, I got you your present, the brother misunderstood and went out and bought it again for you."
    Smile, swallow the bile, and Stephen's day serve up hot whisky or hot chocolate laced with a good dose of liquid laxative for the little sh1t:D:D

It probably won't be such a little sh1t if you do that:D:D

Tell your brother he's a complete prick.

But add "sorry about that" and "it's no big deal", he just is, you've accepted it and the issue is closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

What was the present??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

That was a sly move from your brother , I’d still give the present but make it be known you had it with a few weeks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Your brother is a Grade A wanker.

Show him this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Your brother is a Grade A wanker.

Show him this thread.

Wait wait...your bro is a horrible cnut.

Now show him the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

You're brother is a psychopath...probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

What was the Present?

Important question too.

If it was cash, socks or a lap dance, then everyone could use 2 gifts.

If it was something like a new toaster, then maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Cut him out of your life and move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Shag his ma to get back at him...

No...

Wait...

Don't do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

But don't leave us hanging.. did you do or say anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

My brother gave me a ****in wolly hat fr christmas the miserable bastard .
    You should give him a dead arm or leg at least for robbing yr xmas idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

As an only child, the constant aggro that goes on between siblings (even adult ones) often baffles me.

After reading this thread, I kind of get it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Go up later while everyone is still finishing their dinner, and pi$$ all over the bed your brother will be sleeping in tonight.

If that’s too gross, get a mixing bowl and add 4 parts water, 1 part vinegar, and a gaff part each of bleach & Budweiser, then pour it all over his bed & clothes.

Also never ever tell anyone in future what your gift plans are for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Agricola wrote: »
    As an only child, the constant aggro that goes on between siblings (even adult ones) often baffles me.

After reading this thread, I kind of get it now!

The only time in my life when I ever got on with my brother & sister was when he lived in England, and she lived in America.
    Put us all under the same roof and within 4-6 hours a UN resolution wouldn’t even stop the ensuing war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can't believe what a prick your brother is.
    Also need to know what the present is.

Do not give the prick the present you got for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Put rat poison in his stuffing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tell him Santa's not real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tell him Santa's not real.

You can't lie on Christmas day

Advertisement