Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner drivers insuring old BMW and Altezzas how?

Options
  • 25-12-2017 12:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

As per title, how are 17 year old lads Driving around in scrappers of old bmws? I can’t get insurance myself with having 7 years no claims on a 12 year old car.
    I know one lad has same name as his father is the car insured on fathers name and son driving it or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,785 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A lot of it is fronting where a mother or father will be down as owner of car and their kid will be the actual main driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,252 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's called fronting where mammy or daddy takes out the policy in their name and puts little Johnny on it as a named driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

The premium must be huge. The bmws in my area are 97 and 99 reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you certain they have insurance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

I’m not, are their parents stupid enough to be insuring these cars for them perharps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I’m not, are their parents stupid enough to be insuring these cars for them perharps.

It's possible.

Another common work around is through a fleet insurance policy.

Basically someone has a fleet of vehicles and adds on the young driver to the policy. Most fleet policies work on what's known as an annual declaration basis - this means that the policy holder can use as many vehicles as they like over the course of the year and if there are any permanently added vehicles they will pay an adjusted extra premium at renewal date - so they can add on a son / daughter / niece / nephew as a named driver then said named driver can drive their junker of choice.

It's perfectly legal but from an ethical point of view is a bit shady.

There are alot of fleet policies out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Or they have a policy on a regular car and then have the other car registered in their parent's name and drive it under the driving of other vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

If you can't insure a car with 7 years no claims your not trying hard enough, insurance companies can be a bit of a battle but they will insure you if your persistent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tin Lizzy

Third party extension is another route.
    Insure a small car (corsa/focus,etc) and get a policy that has third party extension allowing you to drive other peoples vehicles (providing you have their permission). Ask your mate for the lend of their BMW/altezza and off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Third party extension with liberty

• Advertisement
Advertisement