Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice from native Irish person please.

• 25-12-2017 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Last couple years I'm contemplating to change my name and surname using a "deed poll" I've been running scenario in my head with several names/surnames, just to see if it doesn't get too awkward or boring if I decide to stick to it.

My last choice is "Devin" I'd like to get an advice from native Irish person. Is "Devin" suited both as name and surname? I'd like to keep it as a surname, but I love the name version too. I'd love to get your opinion. Since I'm outsider, and I have no clue how to blend in corectly. I hope to get an insight on it. Thank you for reading. Happy holidays.

Comments

dremo wrote: »
    Last couple years I'm contemplating to change my name and surname using a "deed poll" I've been running scenario in my head with several names/surnames, just to see if it doesn't get too awkward or boring if I decide to stick to it.

My last choice is "Devin" I'd like to get an advice from native Irish person. Is "Devin" suited both as name and surname? I'd like to keep it as a surname, but I love the name version too. I'd love to get your opinion. Since I'm outsider, and I have no clue how to blend in corectly. I hope to get an insight on it. Thank you for reading. Happy holidays.

Never heard of it as a surname, and to be honest the only people I know who have it as a first name are Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

The surname 'Devins' is common around where I am, but I've never heard of 'Devin' as a name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I know a few Irish people with the surname Devine - but not Devin. Devine is probably not the best surname if you want to blend in tough.

Devin is not common in Ireland as a first name.

Devin Devine does have a certain ring to it though.

Why Devin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Devin won't work, we'll be onto you straight away.

Devlin will work quite well as a surname.

For a forename along the same lines, maybe Kevin?

Kevin Devlin. Yeah, your Irish now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Just change your name to Paddy Finnegan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Devin Toner plays rugby for Ireland

I know a few Irish people with the surname Devine - but not Devin.

And presume Devine is French...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

I've heard it a couple of times as a first name, most notably with rugby player Devin Toner.

Doesn't work as a family name if you don't want to stick out. Nice first name though.

Devin Toner plays rugby for Ireland

Yeah but he's obviously a non-native trying to fit in. Doesn't even look Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

Devin knows how they make it so creamy

• Advertisement

And presume Devine is French...

No, Devine is Irish in origin. Not to be confused with divine

matchthis wrote: »
    Devin knows how they make it so creamy

Ooo Aaarr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

To be honest, a name doesn't make you blend in. We are all more than a name,

If Devin is your last choice, what's your first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Thanks to Wikipedia

Devin (name)
    Devin is an English-language masculine given name. It is of dual origin, from the surname Devin, which is an anglicization of the Irish patronymic Ó Damháin, and from a nickname based on Old French devin "divine" ( Latin dīvīnus). The Irish patronymic is in reference to the given name Damhán "fawn".[1]

The given name became somewhat popular in the United States during the 1980s to 2000s, peaking at rank 59 in 1997. During this time, Devin also began to see some use as a feminine given name. Feminine usage peaked in 1991, at rank 238, or at a ratio of 28% of masculine usage.[2]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Pick one of the most commonest Irish names, say Murphy.

Then pick a perfectly innocuous firstname, like Gary, Barry or better yet Larry.

So Larry Murphy it is then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

How about Eulick McGee?
    Or even Philip McCracken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Shamrocks O'Toole

Tim O'Tay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Devin is an African American name. How about Mike Hunt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Brian is a good solid name !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Call yourself Max Power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Stalin , maybe Kenny Stalin or Joe Stalin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pick one of the most commonest Irish names, say Murphy.

Then pick a perfectly innocuous firstname, like Gary, Barry or better yet Larry.

So Larry Murphy it is then.

OP , that is the name of a very bad criminal.

You should not trust some of yhe suggestions on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

If you're black you won't blend in, unless you call yourself Phil Lynott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Crap bag ftw

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Donald Twain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

What is your first name. You need to be careful. Eg if your name is Vladimir or Wolfgang then a very Irish surname may not work. Vladimir O'Flaherty or Wolfgang Callaghan is going to sound odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Larry Murphy would get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

To cut out the nonsense

@OP

Devin is a perfectly normal Irish first name. In particular, if you are somewhere between 20 and 35, it was one of the more popular names used for people when you were born.

Devin as a last name is a little uncommon - but not so much that it would stand out. I come across people every day who have slightly altered surnames from common Irish one, Devlin, Devine etc are common Irish surnames and no one would bat an eyelid at something similar to that names as a surname

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Tigger wrote: »
    Larry Murphy would get my vote.

Works even better if you're a girl. Larry being short for Phidelma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

OP , that is the name of a very bad criminal.

You should not trust some of yhe suggestions on this thread.

Rats out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

padser wrote: »
    To cut out the nonsense

@OP

Devin is a perfectly normal Irish first name. In particular, if you are somewhere between 20 and 35, it was one of the more popular names used for people when you were born.

That's a lie... and on Jesus' birthday. It's in no way one of the more popular names for that age group. I'm in that bracket myself and never knew, or even knew of, even one person being called that growing up in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would you not be better to find the anglicised version of your first name - there generally is a match unless you have a very unusual name - and a simplified version of your second name? Going to a very Irish name that has no relation to your actual name is a bit artificial sounding and would involve more explanation than just making your name more user-friendly to locals. Think of it the other way round, if an Irish person went to your home country and re-named themself by more or less picking a name from the phone book, wouldn't people find it a bit strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

looksee wrote: »
    Would you not be better to find the anglicised version of your first name - there generally is a match unless you have a very unusual name - and a simplified version of your second name? Going to a very Irish name that has no relation to your actual name is a bit artificial sounding and would involve more explanation than just making your name more user-friendly to locals. Think of it the other way round, if an Irish person went to your home country and re-named themself by more or less picking a name from the phone book, wouldn't people find it a bit strange?

This is the safest option. An English version of their own first name and a simplified version of their own surname if that is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Why do you need both a first name and surname???

"What's your name?"
    "Devin"
    "Devin what?"
    "Just Devin. Like Cher or Bono. Except it's Devin"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What about Enda Kenny ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

What about Enda Kenny ?

Ah here, Larry Murphy is one thing, but we can't be this mean... not on Christmas anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Never heard of it as a surname, and to be honest the only people I know who have it as a first name are Americans.

Devin toner is a pretty famous irish person with that first name !

And OP, personally I think it seems like quite a normal first and last name, But who cares if it sounds irish? Some of the most common 'native ' surnames in ireland are smith and fitzgerald and they are of british and french origin. And theres thousands of other people with brtish/protestant surnames which became so common in ireland that they're accepted as irish names now. Its a multicultural country.youll fit in here with whatever name you have

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

backspin. wrote: »
    What is your first name. You need to be careful. Eg if your name is Vladimir or Wolfgang then a very Irish surname may not work. Vladimir O'Flaherty or Wolfgang Callaghan is going to sound odd.

Wolfgang Callaghan is a ****ing brilliant name.

Wham, bam, thank you mam, says Wolfgang Callaghan.

Wolfgang Callaghan, big fan of the Wu Tang Clan

If OP doesn't want it, I'll have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

OP Devin would be good if you want to blend in as a prod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I used to work with a guy from Bulgaria with one of those mad fordin names so in work (sales job) he went by Walter Curtis as it was phonetically one of the easiest names for him to pronounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To cut out the nonsense

@OP

Devin as a last name is a little uncommon - but not so much that it would stand out. I come across people every day who have slightly altered surnames from common Irish one, Devlin, Devine etc are common Irish surnames and no one would bat an eyelid at something similar to that names as a surname

I've known quite a few people with the surname Devin. Wouldn't consider it unusual. I've never met anyone in Ireland with that forename.

Makes sense. It didn't exist as a name here before the late 90's
    http://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Murt Urshirote would be a good name if you’re an author.
    (Books another two tickets for Irexit event)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Blending in is mostly down to attitude ... not a certain name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

weisses wrote: »
    Blending in is mostly down to attitude ... not a certain name

At the same time, it helps if your name is Leister Sidebottom, and you find yourself in the middle of an orange parade on the 12th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Are you a madman, fond of hats and the ladies?

Trent would be a good choice then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Aongus von bismark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’d choose Shawn

It’s as Irish as a pint of Guinness, or Aer Lingus, or Calvin Klein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why do you need both a first name and surname???

"What's your name?"
    "Devin"
    "Devin what?"
    "Just Devin. Like Cher or Bono. Except it's Devin"

That's devinly something to think about.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To cut out the nonsense

@OP

Not that popular to be fair, even at its height it wasn't that common.

IMG_0309.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement