Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merry Christmas

• 25-12-2017 9:23am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas all, Christus natus est.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Happy Christmas to everyone, and a peaceful 2018.

eichenberg-christmas.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Happy Christmas everyone :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Happy Christmas everyone ... or as we say in Ireland ... Nollaig Shona dhuit !!:)

Four Christmas wishes on a Christianity forum ... the (second) most important feast in the Christian Calendar???

Thoughts, anybody??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

J C wrote: »
    ... the most important feast in the Christian Calendar???

Thoughts, anybody??

Nope. That's Easter.

But Christmas blessings to you anyways ....

• Advertisement

Nope. That's Easter.

But Christmas blessings to you anyways ....
    My mistake ... I guess I got caught up in the temporal importance ... instead of the theological importance.:)
    ... and I've now corrected my error.

... anyway, how do you explain the paucity of Christmas good wishes ... on an Irish Christianity Forum?

... are there practically no Christians on the forum ... or do Irish Christians not engage in extending good wishes at Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

J C wrote: »
    My mistake ... I guess I got caught up in the temporal importance ... instead of the theological importance.:)
    ... and I've now corrected my error.

... anyway, how do you explain the paucity of Christmas good wishes ... on an Irish Christianity Forum?

... are there practically no Christians on the forum ... or do Irish Christians not engage in extending good wishes at Christmas?

Just came across this thread now, a Happy and Holy Christmas to you all.

In relation to the lack of posts I don't frequent these parts much these days. A exercise in futility at times and generally some posters consider it "open season" to write condescending abuse about believers / or any particular faith.

Coincidently one of the ex managers of Facebook says the internet and social forums are actually going against humanity progress due to fake news, mass hysteria and pogrom events.

Written on the Guardian I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I imagine the paucity of Christmas greetings had more to do with Christians going to church services and celebrating with their families, rather than checking Boards.

What that has to do with MSM v social media conspiracies as mostly promoted by one D.J. Trump, I have no idea.

looksee wrote: »
    I imagine the paucity of Christmas greetings had more to do with Christians going to church services and celebrating with their families, rather than checking Boards.

What that has to do with MSM v social media conspiracies as mostly promoted by one D.J. Trump, I have no idea.
    I don't know about that ... everyone I know checks their social media every day (including Christmas Day) ... so the paucity of Christmas greetings comes down to a tiny number of Christian participants on the Forum, IMO.
    Why this is the case is the subject of another thread.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565105

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Belated, happy Christmas to you all.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Well, I did check this forum in the run up to the 24th but after that I was pretty busy with visitors here all week and of course church services which doubled up this year. I'd say most Christians would have been more interested in the real Christmas rather than the online one. :) I'm still in entertaining mode but have just stepped out to say hello. I'm all turkeyed out now and looking forward to getting back to routine after the visitors have taken their leave. Happy New Year everyone!

ABC101 wrote: »
    I largely agree with his assessment of FB ... but not the OTT idea, that it is destroying the fabric of society.

FB is largely a place where narcissism meets exhibitionism ... and I rarely look at it ... and when I do ... I quickly exit it.
    It also gives me the dubious benefit of seeing how the acquaintances of my youth have aged over the years!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

ABC101 wrote: »

I'm desperately cynical about that story. There is something quite unbelievable about his change of heart. It wouldn't surprise me if he's still secretly on the Facebook payroll and made his comments just to promote Facebook via some kind of clever backwards promotional strategy. In any case what he said was OTT. Facebook brings with it some problems but to say it's ripping apart the social fabric of how society works is just ridiculous.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm desperately cynical about that story. There is something quite unbelievable about his change of heart. It wouldn't surprise me if he's still secretly on the Facebook payroll and made his comments just to promote Facebook via some kind of clever backwards promotional strategy. In any case what he said was OTT. Facebook brings with it some problems but to say it's ripping apart the social fabric of how society works is just ridiculous.
    I agree with all of your points.
    FB is little more than a superficial record of the minutae of people's lives ... it may be contributing to a general 'dumbing-down' of society ... but it definitely isn't "ripping apart the social fabric of how society works" ... and other social media, such as discussion forums, like this one and You Tube are providing a vital balance to the 'dumbed down' so-called 'news' that the mainstram media (MSM) sometimes broadcasts!!!
    However, we should take these calls for 'reform' of social media, with 'a large grain of salt' ... and especially the calls for the censorship and policing of social media for 'fake news' ... when the biggest producers of real fake news are the MSM ... who are mostly making these calls !!:)
    ... an MSM that is owned and controlled by a very small number of players these days.

... and which mass-produces dumbed-down 'news'

Might be of interest to some..... I hope to get a chance to review those clips J.C.!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/watchdog-must-now-investigate-facebooks-links-to-government-36446913.html

Advertisement